Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 8:19 PM
Default Finding a lot in Tray
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if anyone had a trick or way of finding a house you built in the Tray folder if it's been a while and you have since built other homes? I want to upload a home I built a while ago but I have no idea which number of files it is and was hoping someone had some sage advice.
Advertisement
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amondra
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I was wondering if anyone had a trick or way of finding a house you built in the Tray folder if it's been a while and you have since built other homes? I want to upload a home I built a while ago but I have no idea which number of files it is and was hoping someone had some sage advice.

Hi @Amondra

Our Creator Guidelines for Lots and Houses shows you how to find the lot files. Basically, in your Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Tray folder, as long as the instance numbers and time/date are exactly the same, the files all belong to the same lot. If you look in your Gallery Library in game, click on the lot in question and you'll see the date you created it

Hope this helps!
Scholar
#3 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amondra

@Amondra You need to get the Sims 4 Tray Importer program, because it's so much easier than combing through all the Tray files. Sometimes you'll come across a lot or household where one of the files that makes up the whole will have a different timestamp for some reason (I think it's usually the file actually called tray that's like that sometimes for whatever reason). Plus it's a good program for keeping track of custom content that's been used on your lots or Sims.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 25th Nov 2018 at 3:11 PM
It's not a problem. The game makes the files instantly, and you just search the tray folder by date. You might need to show how you want your folders to show information. Just set up show date and time, and you will find it at the top when you click on date.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Nov 2018 at 1:48 PM
A hint, you can turn a lot into a mod; makes it easier to organize things. Just open S4PE, drag all the tray files for a single lot into it, and save as a new package. Putting that package in your mods folder will make the lot appear in your library.

This also works for households, though last I tried didn't work for rooms. It's how I organize all the lots I've downloaded and the households I use as templates; moving single .package files into and out of my mods folder is far easier than trying to figure which loose tray files correspond to each library item. You might not want to do this for mod-free items you want to upload somewhere else as loose tray files, though, as getting back the original files, while possible, is annoying.