Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:05 PM Last edited by xNanaOsaki : 5th Jul 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Default New PC for TS3 and TS4
Hello guys!
I'm getting a new PC build since the one I use now gets overheated and automatically turns off everytime I try to play the Sims 3, eventho it meets the system requirements.

I ordered these pieces:

Mother Board: AsRock Z87M Extreme4
CPU: Intel i7-4770k
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (2x8gb)
Hard Disk: Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm 64MB Caviar Black
SSD: Series 840 Evo Basic 120GB SATA (I'll only use it to install the OS)
Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 770 OC
PSU: Antec 750Watt EC 80+ Gold
Monitor: 21,5" Led Samsung S22D390H FullHD (It also has game mode; 1920x1080 resolution
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
Case: Cooler master Elite 344

Do you think I'll be good for a long time with this? It costed a lot of money (around 1400 euros -> $1900) so I really don't want to spend more money on this for at least for 2 years. Then I might upgrade some component.

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 4:18 AM
I really wish you had asked before buying...

You overspent in some areas and didn't spend enough in others. You over spent on your CPU and RAM but didn't spend enough on the case. The Cooler Master doesn't have great air flow and that can cause your components to overheat.

Switch the i7 to an i5-4XXX
You can switch 16GB of RAM to 8GB safely to save some money.
Switch the Z87 motherboard to an H87 if you're not going to overclock.
Switch the Western Digital 1TB black to a 2TB green.
Switch the Samsung 840 EVO 120GB to 250GB version. (Use it to install the OS + The Sims)
What brand is the nVidia GeForce GTX 770OC?
Switch the case to something like a Fractal Design Arc Mini or a Corsair Carbide 300R or a Cooler Master CM 690 III (depending on the size of the motherboard you choose)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
I really wish you had asked before buying...

You overspent in some areas and didn't spend enough in others. You over spent on your CPU and RAM but didn't spend enough on the case. The Cooler Master doesn't have great air flow and that can cause your components to overheat.

Switch the i7 to an i5-4XXX
You can switch 16GB of RAM to 8GB safely to save some money.
Switch the Z87 motherboard to an H87 if you're not going to overclock.
Switch the Western Digital 1TB black to a 2TB green.
Switch the Samsung 840 EVO 120GB to 250GB version. (Use it to install the OS + The Sims)
What brand is the nVidia GeForce GTX 770OC?
Switch the case to something like a Fractal Design Arc Mini or a Corsair Carbide 300R or a Cooler Master CM 690 III (depending on the size of the motherboard you choose)

Thank you for replying!
Unfortunately the only thing I can change now is the case.I've already received the CPU, SSD and RAM 10 days ago so I can't send them back now.. And I'll think I'll keep that mother board because I may want to overclock in future.
My graphic card is from Gigabyte, I was going to get the Asus one at first but I read that it heats fast while the Gigabyte has a better cooling system. I don't know what the OC means, does it mean it's already Overclocked?
I have a question about the SSD.. If I install my Sims games on there will my CC go there automatically? Or can I save the CC on my HD? If yes, how?
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 11:43 AM
Asus Direct CUII cards are good, but the Gigabyte Windforce ones are good as well. So if your Gigabyte has windforce written on the box/card it should be fine.

OC does mean it comes already overclocked.

Your CC is usually installed where you have your My Documents folder. If you have your My Documents folder on your SSD then your CC will also be on your SSD. You can move your CC to your traditional hard drive by either moving the My Documents folder entirely to the HDD or through a different process (link).

However, I would highly recommend installing The Sims AND your CC and your savegames on your SSD. It will speed up load times tremendously.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
Asus Direct CUII cards are good, but the Gigabyte Windforce ones are good as well. So if your Gigabyte has windforce written on the box/card it should be fine.

OC does mean it comes already overclocked.

Your CC is usually installed where you have your My Documents folder. If you have your My Documents folder on your SSD then your CC will also be on your SSD. You can move your CC to your traditional hard drive by either moving the My Documents folder entirely to the HDD or through a different process (link).

However, I would highly recommend installing The Sims AND your CC and your savegames on your SSD. It will speed up load times tremendously.

I usually install a lot of CC so with a 120GB ssd I don't think I'll be able to fit everything because I'm gonna install the OS and The Sims 3 and I have all the expansion packs and some stuff packs so that already is gonna take a lot of space.
If I keep my CC folder on my HDD and the game on the SSD is this going to make my game crash or it should be fine?
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xNanaOsaki
I usually install a lot of CC so with a 120GB ssd I don't think I'll be able to fit everything because I'm gonna install the OS and The Sims 3 and I have all the expansion packs and some stuff packs so that already is gonna take a lot of space.
If I keep my CC folder on my HDD and the game on the SSD is this going to make my game crash or it should be fine?

It shouldn't crash as long as everything is installed properly.