Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#1026 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:17 AM
Science: observe -> make theory -> apply and test -> if good keep, if not, reject it, revert to step one.

Religion: idea -> if not rejected by current observations keep, if rejected, bend it around and make excuses to make it fit in reality anyhow -> "its only methaphorically/science is lies/its left wing propaganda/apply scare tactic/etc"

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#1027 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:25 AM
You forgot 'its right wing propaganda' too.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mad Poster
#1028 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
But science doesn't have an origin "story", it has a series of observations about the structure of the universe that suggest a certain scenario happened. You're using "story" in a way that suggests made up, if you're comparing it with the Xtian creation story, which is transparently made up.

Is that really the way it happened, though? Perhaps in some religions... but in all of them? Most have a creation story. I doubt they were all "transparently made up" (that sort of phrase suggests a myth made up for reasons of control and power). I would imagine that many of these stories were based on ancient peoples' observations about the world around them. A lot of creation myths begin with nothing but water. That's a significant observation about the importance of water to all of life. Just because those people didn't have the technology to discover where the universe came from doesn't mean their observations were full of crap (and, to be fair, we don't actually know where the universe "came from", either).
Retired
retired moderator
#1029 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:12 PM
That's true, you're right. Some of them are just terribly outdated superstitions, and were sincerely believed in a pre-scientific worldview. It's a fair point.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#1030 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:14 PM
Well guys... this thread currently has over a 1000 posts, which puts it in the "kind of unwieldy" category. It's reaching the point where new debaters might have a difficult time joining in, so I'm going to go ahead and close it. I'll have a new thread posted shortly, where you can either continue with any topics that you may have previously started or move on to new ideas.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Scholar
#1031 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Is that really the way it happened, though? Perhaps in some religions... but in all of them? Most have a creation story. I doubt they were all "transparently made up" (that sort of phrase suggests a myth made up for reasons of control and power). I would imagine that many of these stories were based on ancient peoples' observations about the world around them. A lot of creation myths begin with nothing but water. That's a significant observation about the importance of water to all of life. Just because those people didn't have the technology to discover where the universe came from doesn't mean their observations were full of crap (and, to be fair, we don't actually know where the universe "came from", either).

Those observations may have been the best that the people of the time could come up with, but they are not appropriate for people today. We have a much better understanding of the universe now and it is more than likely that the Big Bang is the correct theory of the beginning of the universe. To still believe in a religious creation story, even with scientific evidence opposing it, is foolish.

Page 42 of 42