Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#101 Old 1st May 2005 at 4:27 AM
Thing is, if we made more hair options for the infant, say for instance we made one hair option for each of the 4 toddler hair "families"... would they randomize on infants born in the game? I guess the way to find out is to try it, but I do not have the entergy right now to create a sim breeding factory. I'll look at it later if no one else has.
Advertisement
Instructor
#102 Old 1st May 2005 at 4:28 AM
LOL yes that's just it. We don't know for sure it would randomize even if we had more infant hairs that corresponded to the different toddler ones. It's only a theory based on what Tom said.
Test Subject
#103 Old 1st May 2005 at 5:15 AM
GPGiles I reckon that it will be not worth the code to randomize hairstyles during infants are born, in this case than the has to apply a some sort of hairstyle randomisation for each of the sim's life transitions as well.
For maxiodtom, is it possible for the sims to gradually age (visually) in this generation of the sims franchise.
Original Poster
#104 Old 1st May 2005 at 5:50 AM
dino, it depends entirely on whether the randomization code already exists. I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that adding a second infant default "hairstyle" in the same family as one of the existing toddler hairstyles will be a piece of cake. If it is, then it's just a matter of testing to see whether the randomization happens, which means breeding and aging infants. It's worth a try. We've already got the toddler mirrors, so it's not that big a deal if it doesn't fly. But it would be nice to see this happen naturally.

If nothing else it tells me I can change the family of the existing infant hair to create a new default since I just hate that curly male toddler hair desperately.
Instructor
#105 Old 1st May 2005 at 1:21 PM
You definitely can create a new default. If you get the bodyshop starter pack here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/140517/14...op-Starter-Kit-

The boys will have a toddler hair that looks similar to the ones the girl toddlers get, then that turns into the short side parted hair from the child stage on.

Of course, putting that file in your downloads directory also gives you those messed up infants with the little faces all over their head. :p
#106 Old 2nd May 2005 at 11:50 PM
A question, RGiles; did you happen to look at Alien sim DNA? (Eh, you probably did, considering you have the codes for them..) I'm looking at a man-made sim from bodyshop. It's a very weird combination, and I'm wondering if I should make an experimental version and change them to see what happens. Here:

Line 1: 6 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

This is supposed to be hair colour, but it looks like it's the skin color.

Line 2: 268435462 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

Skin Tone

Line 3: 2 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

This is again supposed to be a hair colour.

Line 4: 268435458 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

Recessive skin tone

Line 5: 1 (dtString) = 00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

wow; apparently my sim has a recessive eye color of.. a light skin color. O_o

Line 6: 268435457 (dtString) = 00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

This is where I wanted to ask a question. I've checked all of my (man made) aliens, and they all have this. It's really weird. Isn't there supposed to be nothing there?

Line 7: 3 (dtString) = 12d4f3e1-fdbe-4fe7-ace3-46dd9ff52b51

alien eyes.

Line 8: 268435459 (dtString) = 12d4f3e1-fdbe-4fe7-ace3-46dd9ff52b51

again, alien eyes

Line 9: 5 (dtString) = mouth,cheek,eyes,ears,

what they'll pass on...

Line 10:268435461 (dtString) =

and nothing on line ten. I'm willing to bet you looked at more sims' DNA than I did, and maybe this is the hair problem I have in looking at this sim in bodyshop. should I change the lines that look weird to the way they should be, and give her black hair? *rubs hands together* I guess I should just experiment, first. What do you think? *scratches head*
Field Researcher
#107 Old 2nd May 2005 at 11:54 PM
This is great info.
Part-time Hermit
#108 Old 3rd May 2005 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tasogareus
A question, RGiles; did you happen to look at Alien sim DNA? (Eh, you probably did, considering you have the codes for them..) I'm looking at a man-made sim from bodyshop. It's a very weird combination, and I'm wondering if I should make an experimental version and change them to see what happens. Here:

Line 1: 6 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

This is supposed to be hair colour, but it looks like it's the skin color.

Line 2: 268435462 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

Skin Tone

Line 3: 2 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

This is again supposed to be a hair colour.

Line 4: 268435458 (dtString) = 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46

Recessive skin tone

Line 5: 1 (dtString) = 00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

wow; apparently my sim has a recessive eye color of.. a light skin color. O_o

Line 6: 268435457 (dtString) = 00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

This is where I wanted to ask a question. I've checked all of my (man made) aliens, and they all have this. It's really weird. Isn't there supposed to be nothing there?

Line 7: 3 (dtString) = 12d4f3e1-fdbe-4fe7-ace3-46dd9ff52b51

alien eyes.

Line 8: 268435459 (dtString) = 12d4f3e1-fdbe-4fe7-ace3-46dd9ff52b51

again, alien eyes

Line 9: 5 (dtString) = mouth,cheek,eyes,ears,

what they'll pass on...

Line 10:268435461 (dtString) =

and nothing on line ten. I'm willing to bet you looked at more sims' DNA than I did, and maybe this is the hair problem I have in looking at this sim in bodyshop. should I change the lines that look weird to the way they should be, and give her black hair? *rubs hands together* I guess I should just experiment, first. What do you think? *scratches head*

The order of the lines had changed since University. Sims that were born/created after installing University have a different order in their DNA code. All the four first lines are for skintone (first two for expressed tone and what they'll pass on for their offspring, lines 3 and 4 for the genes they got from their parents), lines 5-6 for hair color, 7-8 for eye color, 9 for facial features and then the empty line. This is not just with aliens, but all sims post-Uni.
#109 Old 12th May 2005 at 9:17 PM
I've seen at least some of these lines in the DNA of bodyless sims... does this mean it might be possible to transplant the faces of the maxis created dead sims to new bodies???
Test Subject
#110 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 2:01 PM Last edited by circebeaker : 1st Jun 2005 at 2:45 PM.
The order of the lines got switched around for some of my sims that were born in game, but the skin genes seem to be prefixed by:

6 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
268435462 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
2 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
268435458 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
Original Poster
#111 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 7:46 PM
Yeah, the order of the lines seems to be all over the place now. I'm not exactly sure what's what until I stare at it for a long time and compare it to the Sim's appearance and heritage. It would really be nice to have it labeled. But it's great that now SimSurgery (in SimPE) does update these values.

Magnamundian, nope, because these lines don't give any information about the shape of the face. They are only about hair, skin and eye color. The trouble with the "bodyless" sims is that there is no information stored about their facial features, so not enough information to rebuild them.
Forum Resident
#112 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 3:16 PM
About this strange negative skintone number in line 7 you mentioned earlier ... I've just had some strange experience with it.
Erin Single was pregnant and gave birth to a very dark-skinned child. Since the father was Nervus Subject with a changed DNA to match hers, I was sort of confused, quit without saving and checked him. No mistake made, his DNA was just as I had wanted it. I then checked Erin to see if she had any recessive traits and found out she had a negative number in line 7. I changed it to light skin tone, went back and the baby was light-skinned.
Seems this line can create some havock.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 2:00 AM
I just checked all four of Singles ladies DNA - they all have weird negative numbers. Weren't Chloe and Lola (the two alien ones - actually part of the Polli Tech #9 Smith family tree) frequently implicated in the old birth crash bug? That bug was fixed with the patch and I didn't have the game before then, so I don't know from personal experience that that's the case...
Forum Resident
#114 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 12:25 PM
What's this birth crash bug?
Chloe moved out and had a baby with some Townie, Lola got abducted and had an alien girl (Hack). No problems during birth and my game is unpatched.
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 2:02 PM
Does the DNA line order change cause problems for babies of Sims you made prior to installing Uni? I have some earlier houses I haven't played since upgrading and one baby is on the way.
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 2:57 PM
The birth crash bug was intermittent - sometimes if it happened you could reload and it would be fine.

The line order change will not be a problem. Each line is prefixed with a number that says what it's for, and that's how the game looks them up (the game doesn't actually care about the order.)
Part-time Hermit
#117 Old 6th Jun 2005 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by circebeaker
The order of the lines got switched around for some of my sims that were born in game, but the skin genes seem to be prefixed by:

6 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
268435462 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
2 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene
268435458 (dtString) = ParentSkinGene

By "ParentSkinGene" do you mean the skintone genes the sim inherited from his parents? Based on my experience (as posted earlier), the first two lines seem to indicate the expressed skintone and also the skintone they will pass on to their offspring (with the basic four Maxis skintones, these are always the same thing), and the third and fourth lines are what the sim inherited from his parents.
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 9:50 PM
A couple questions...

1. Do we know how the "dominant facial features" line works? How is it generated when you create a new sim? Is it just random? Is that line itself heritable, or does it just get generated anew when a sim is born?

2. Is there any way to access (read) or modify (write) any part of any of a sim's heritable features (facial structure or DNA) from BHAVs?

3. Apparently, when a baby's facial features are being generated, some sort of "neutral" default face is thrown in the mix. Is this face stored anywhere accessable, or is it just some hard-coded parameters somewhere?

4. Do we have any idea what facial information is used when a parent sim has no facial structure information (e.g. the RC car or Grim)?

5. Do we know much of anything about what the faceblendlimits cheat really does?
Part-time Hermit
#119 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 9:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fwiffo
A couple questions...

1. Do we know how the "dominant facial features" line works? How is it generated when you create a new sim? Is it just random? Is that line itself heritable, or does it just get generated anew when a sim is born?

5. Do we know much of anything about what the faceblendlimits cheat really does?

1. When you create a sim in CAS, different facial features are randomly labelled dominant. Men are slightly more likely to have a dominant nose, for example, while women have a bigger chance of getting dominant eyes. (Some of these are listed in the guide, but not all.) When they then have kids, either parent can pass each facial feature, but the dominant ones are more likely to be passed (my understanding is that with facial features, the kids only get one gene from one parent, unlike with eye color where they get two genes of which only one is expressed). If the father passes on his dominant nose to his daughter, then the daughter's nose will also be labelled dominant and more likely to be passed on to her offspring. So, with sims that are born in game, a woman is as likely to have a dominant nose than a man is.

This is my understanding of how it works, I might be wrong.

5. I think that with the faceblendlimits cheat you can turn off the softening feature which makes children' facial features less prominent when compared to adults so that they look more "childish". This also makes all kids more similar looking as compared to adults who have more striking, individual features.
Original Poster
#120 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fwiffo
2. Is there any way to access (read) or modify (write) any part of any of a sim's heritable features (facial structure or DNA) from BHAVs?

I'm not certain, but I think the answer is no.

Quote:
4. Do we have any idea what facial information is used when a parent sim has no facial structure information (e.g. the RC car or Grim)?
I'd bet that Grim has a facial structure in objects.package, but I've never looked.

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 3:07 PM
I've looked. There are three facial structure thingies in objects.package belonging to "Hula Zombie", "Therapist Therapist" and "Pollination Technician". There are none for "*NPC - Remote Control Car" or "Grim Reaper", yet both can successfully "father" kids with faces.

They clearly have DNA, because they pass traits like hair, eye and skin color on to their kids, and you can use the SimDNA cheat to view it (though it looks like Grim's DNA might not be the same every time.) And their offspring do get their facial structure from somewhere, because they don't look like clones of the "mother".
One of those Maxoids
#122 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 4:35 AM
There's fallback code to return default DNA if some isn't found. This is true for unique NPCs like the Grim Reaper and such.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 5:10 AM
Thanks you for your response, MaxoidTom.

Is that true for the facial structure data as well? If so, is it possible to extract that information (in other words - to create a sim with the "default" face)?
#124 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 4:34 PM
HELP...and hello
Hello.
Can you please tell me how to make your own skins, hair colour, make up, and eye colour? That is if you know.
PLEASE!!!!
DbCSG
(DumbutCleverSimGirl) :confused:
Test Subject
#125 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 4:51 PM
DBCSG, to make skin colours, hair colours, makeups and eye colours, you have to use Bodyshop. It comes with the game and there are tutorials online.
Page 5 of 13