Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd May 2013 at 12:13 AM
Default How many believe the Sims 4 should have a Open For Business EP?
Since the Sims 4 is coming out,how many believe the Sims 4 should have a Open for Business EP?
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 22nd May 2013 at 1:13 AM
I do, if only so people would stop talking about it already.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 22nd May 2013 at 1:15 AM
Given the clamor for an OFB EP for TS3, I expect your poll would show many hopeful about running businesses in TS4. However, it is a little premature to speculate, as we have no idea what
TS4 is even going to look like, let alone what types of EPs will be able to be integrated into the new game engine.
Alchemist
#4 Old 22nd May 2013 at 2:15 PM
I wouldn't buy it, but I'd be ok with it for those of you who want it
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd May 2013 at 3:36 PM
I do, and I think if it's good I'll buy it.
Test Subject
#6 Old 22nd May 2013 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I wouldn't buy it, but I'd be ok with it for those of you who want it

I agree. If it's there, that's cool, because I know a ton of people who want it. But I'm not interested in it. I think it might have been my least favorite EP from TS2.
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd May 2013 at 5:50 AM
If it does, then it means that EA has been jerking us around.

I see two legitimate reasons for not including OFB in the Sims 3, and one illegitmate reason. The first legitimate reason is their marketing has determined that there is not enough interest in OFB to justify bringing it back. Givien the comments on this site, I seriously doublt this is the case.

The second legitimate reason for not including it in the Sims 3 is they did not have the technical ability to do it. Again, I would not find such a claim credible. They did it in Sims 2, which was a less sophisticated game. Adding cash registers for a variety of different stores, having sims man those cash registers, including clothing racks and other retail deco seems to be quite doable, and other modders have done it. Making a basic business simulation should not be all that hard for EA.

Which leads us to the illegitmate reason: EA did it to help market the Sims 4. People wanting an OFB would be more likely to purchase the Sims 4 if EA included it in the Sims 4, but excluded it from the Sims 3.

Fine. If EA wants to play this way, then what will stop them from doing this with the Sims 4. Perhaps they leave out pets, or another popular EP, but plan to include them in the Sims 5. So you spend a lot of money, and wait five years, only to find out that the Sims 4 is not going to be complete either.

Under these circumstances, I have no intention of purchasing the Sims 4 until it has all of the EPs, tools and other content that I want. If I have to wait four years for EA to do it right, then EA can wait four years before it sees any of my money. I really do not care to play this stupid marketing game with EA.
#8 Old 23rd May 2013 at 6:41 AM
I dunno, I always tend to focus on the many things we can actually DO with the game, as opposed to the many things we CAN'T. Whenever a pack has been announced, there is always a part of the community that is like "OMG they haven't made {insert expansion name here} yet! CAP RAGE!" Meanwhile I'm just sitting in the corner having fun playing with all the new shiny stuff. It keeps the blood pressure down, for one thing.

People screamed for University. And when it came out, instead of being happy for a while and exploring the new pack, they immediately demanded OFB, or a Superhero pack, or whatever. EA may have a track record of ignoring a portion of their fan base, but really, when people aren't happy when a good EP comes out, is it any wonder if they don't seem to want to bother anymore? There are tons of things we can do in the Sims 3. I've been playing it for years, since it came out, and I still haven't explored everything. Just play the game that is in front of you.
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd May 2013 at 9:44 AM Last edited by manustyle90 : 23rd May 2013 at 11:17 AM.
My dream ofb expansion would feature a TRUE business management feature, going from a shop to an entire industrial facility to a complex financial corporation. But that's way too mature for the average the sims player, i guess it will remain a dream
Instructor
#10 Old 23rd May 2013 at 2:35 PM
I hope they do include it. That being said, yes I would buy it, one of the best expansions ever created for the Sims (although I'm also a big fan of all the dating themed expansions).

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd May 2013 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Alex
Since the Sims 4 is coming out,how many believe the Sims 4 should have a Open for Business EP?

Sorry of bit late of replying...You know, counting takes time. And you know how much simmers out there.

The result....around 25,115,154 people agree, 157,151 absent and 18,462 disagree.

I guess, 99% of all simmers agree!

Read this EA!!!

All simmers want OFB!
Alchemist
#12 Old 23rd May 2013 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
I've been playing it for years, since it came out, and I still haven't explored everything. Just play the game that is in front of you.

Same here and that's the amazing thing about TS3. That's why I don't get the people who claim it's unfinished. I believe once TS4 comes out and I switch over, there will still be things I haven't done in TS3
Instructor
#13 Old 23rd May 2013 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
Which leads us to the illegitmate reason: EA did it to help market the Sims 4. People wanting an OFB would be more likely to purchase the Sims 4 if EA included it in the Sims 4, but excluded it from the Sims 3.

I'd bet money that OFB will be the first Sims 4 EP.
To get Sims 3 fans who are looking for a "better" OFB to buy TS4 base game, and the EP, and hopefully they'll get hooked on TS4 and start buying EPs and SPs for TS4.

>w> That's what I think anyways.

I don't care if OFB is in TS4 or not tbh. I wasn't a huge fan of it to begin with, I just found it tedious. But I'm not buying TS4 anyways, at least until the price has dropped to $20 (probably around the same time they'll announce TS5).
I hope it is for those who so desperately need an OFB fix though so they'll just be quiet already.

But yes I do believe it will be in TS4. There's no way EA thinks that people don't want OFB, people have been screaming about how badly they want it since TS3's release.
Instructor
#14 Old 23rd May 2013 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
I dunno, I always tend to focus on the many things we can actually DO with the game, as opposed to the many things we CAN'T. Whenever a pack has been announced, there is always a part of the community that is like "OMG they haven't made {insert expansion name here} yet! CAP RAGE!"

What I am looking for is play value. I believe the ultimate purpose of an EP is to maintain interest until the next EP comes out.

Along these lines, some EPs add a lot of play value, while others add very little. Generations, for example, provided about a day of play value, Showtime about a week. Surprisingly, World Adventures, Ambitions, Supernatural and Seasons actually added months of play value.

I think OFB would have been another high play value supplement. Especially if one is trying to manage businesses. I can see no excuse for doing a low play value EP like Generations, while a high play value EP goes undone.

I am sure that if ThevSims 4 did not include Pets, many Simmer would be rather mad at EA. if they knew pets was excluded so it could be marketed with the Sims 5, they would even be more upset.

What I am suggesting is we know EA cannot be trusted to deliver a complete game. Since the total cost of the game can be hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, it behooves us not to spend this money until we can be sure we get a complete product.
#15 Old 24th May 2013 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
What I am looking for is play value. I believe the ultimate purpose of an EP is to maintain interest until the next EP comes out.

Along these lines, some EPs add a lot of play value, while others add very little. Generations, for example, provided about a day of play value, Showtime about a week. Surprisingly, World Adventures, Ambitions, Supernatural and Seasons actually added months of play value.

I can see where you are coming from. And for some people, running an OFB-style shop would add play value. But for others, it would be ignored if it didn't fit into their style of play. It all comes down to a matter of opinion, and personal preference.
If they had made OFB for Sims 3, that would have been great. But I don't feel the game is lacking simply because of this one pack not being made.
#16 Old 24th May 2013 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Alex

Since the only expansion pack I have for The Sims 2 is Open For Business, I'd say that I'd love to see a similar version for The Sims 3. As a matter of fact, I think that's the only expansion pack that I would be buying.
Instructor
#17 Old 24th May 2013 at 3:46 AM
Good god yes. I've actually recently gone back and installed Sims 2 just to experience OFB again. Along with Seasons (weather) OFB was my favorite expansion. I'm a little disappointed they never released one for Sims 3... then again, they never released a Castaway expansion either.

Talk about missed opportunities, they'd better not miss them with Sims 4.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 24th May 2013 at 3:54 AM
The Sims 4 should have all of the expansion packs of the previous games plus some fresh ideas. Some of the features introduced in prior games' expansion packs should come with TS4 base game.
#19 Old 24th May 2013 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bnefriends
The Sims 4 should have all of the expansion packs of the previous games plus some fresh ideas. Some of the features introduced in prior games' expansion packs should come with TS4 base game.

Some games were more profitable than others. EA is probably going to repeat the expansion packs that are most profitable, and if the technology permits, includes the essence in the base game. The base game is typically made basic. EA is most likely going to think about what is going to make the most $$$.
Test Subject
#20 Old 24th May 2013 at 10:40 AM
Yes, i hope they add ofb in the base game.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 24th May 2013 at 1:29 PM
I think TS4 should have an Open for Business expansion, and I actually think this would be a good choice for an online expansion.

As I mentioned in another topic, one of my friends recently told me how he had played the online Star Wars Galaxies back in the 00s, and had "made a living" in the game as a craftsman constructing stuff that he then sold for in-game currency to other players. Imagine something similar for Open for Business - a shared business neighborhood where everyone can set up their own businesses and make an income that you could spend either in the shared neighborhood(s) or in your own, non-shared neighborhood. That could actually be quite entertaining, I think.
#22 Old 25th May 2013 at 12:48 AM
And when they shut down the server on December 15th, 2011, that "living" he made meant absolutely nothing. It's all gone. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend all my game time cranking out stuff for other people. That isn't my idea of fun.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 25th May 2013 at 7:11 AM
I would love an OfB in The Sims 4. I would like for it to be in the base game, but, this is EA. [rant] There are lots of expansions that deserve base game that won't get it because of EA. Please customers and the money follows, EA. Specifically, the money of all the people you lost by doing the opposite. And while we're on the subject, I'd like to have TS2's patching system back. Where I had to install one patch for each EP, and you didn't force broken features of other EPs on me. And maybe you could fix critical issues before you release. Take care of the customers and they don't leave you. The only reason I still give money to EA is because I don't have all the Sims 2 EPs. I won't go on to buy Sims 3 EPs. Why? EA cares only about money and power. They almost follow the principles, "Logic is a monster, and truth is a menace!" EA should take a few lessons from Valve. Valve cares about the customers, not the money. Valve will wait until something is ready before releasing it (and admittedly are quite notorious for this). Valve takes care of customers and makes sure they stay. They're so good at this, they've pulled off having their customers eagerly wait for the next installment of their franchise for over 6 years! Why can't EA be like that? [/rant]

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 25th May 2013 at 8:35 AM
OFB is my favourite Sims 2 EP so a big yes from me. That said I don't think it should be in the base game as I know a lot of simmers either love or hate it so I think it would be a waste in the base game. If they added it to the base it would be a half done job. Not to say it still wouldn't be as a dedicated EP. but it has more chance of being better and this way people can buy it or not. I think the base game would be better served with seasons included. What kind of world doesn't have rain? To me weather is more of a basic. I was surprised when weather didn't come with the Sims base game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th May 2013 at 2:39 PM
A lot of people seem to want it, so it's okay with me if they make one. It doesn't hold much interest for me though, so I probably wouldn't buy it.

Friends don't let friends use EA Story.

Use either Awesome or Twallan's.