Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 9:14 PM Last edited by Night Racer : 9th Jan 2011 at 1:15 AM.
Would it be possible to mod it so it can have more platforms stacked on top of it? You can place platforms on top of foundation or decks.....you can even place decks on 2nd/3rd/4th stories...so why cant you with platforms?
Edit; spelling: platforms go on top of DECKS...not desks...
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 10:21 PM
Technically, platforms only stack on "floors". Foundations, Decks, and Walls all create floor definitions. Oro, I have thought of setting it up so you could stack platforms, but believe it or not, coding that to work would be even harder than what I am trying now. I looked at the MODL and MLOD files for the different floor and wall structures, and that looks like a promising place to change height. Unfortunately, I am having trouble exporting the model files back to sims3 format.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 2:04 PM
Oro, I am still exploring this matter, but sadly, I have just about run out of places to look. There most definitely seems to be a missing link, as I cannot find ANY real height data in any of the construction objects, nor in any of the .dll scripts. I have opened the .MODL files in Blender (the mesh is just a one unit cube), and stretched it, deformed it, and mixed it with pineapple juice, but apparently the mesh is just for show, as no changes happened in game. The .RIG file is still a possible hiding place for the needed data, but it is still shrouded in mystery darker then the darkest shadow. Also, I have combed through every .ini file I saw in the Sims 3 directory (and every other file that I could find an editor to open). Considering how openly mod-able the game is, I suppose it is only natural for EA to keep a couple of secrets, maybe buried in the .exe or something. When I find more rocks to turn over, I will keep looking. Need to restock the aspirin cabinet too.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 11:11 AM
Here are some aspirin for you! And a cup of hot tea. And a blanket and a soft pillow for a little nap. I know it is absolutely frustrating when you want to find out something and you always end a dead end. The longer you are looking for something to work the more it seems to hide. As I can't help I just send you some positive energy! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#30 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:57 PM
Sometimes the best way to deal with this is to do something completely unrelated! Go fly a kite, canoe down a river, ride a horse, ANYTHING that doesn't involve a computer or coding!

You'll get it, it's just gonna take a bit longer than you hoped, but we're patient (mostly) and we can wait (because we have to), but perhaps more importantly, we believe you can do it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 2:29 PM
Since I am out simple ideas to tweak, I have been exploring the long-shots. Technically speaking, when a platform is created, it is not actually sitting on a floor, but raising the floor elevation for that one spot, and then builds the short walls around the area. Since the code that actually controls how high the floor is elevated when the platforms are placed is inaccessible, I am attempting to write my own code that does the same thing. There are no cut and paste examples from existing code for this stuff, so it might take awhile to learn how the build functions are called when specific objects are placed, etc. What is really irritating is that there are no classes in the .dll that really shows how even the floors work (that I can find/recognize/understand).

Something I did try was to play around with the slots (RSLT) of regular objects to see if I could create a route slot that was off the ground. I used one of the round dining tables, and changed the center container slot to a route slot, but it just seems to ignore the changes. Granted, I don't understand the slot system very well, but other than the model and VPXY, the RSLTs are the only things that have elevation data. Currently, I am trying to write some code to build a floor panel (or elevate the floor panel) to the top of the table. I would be exceedingly happy if something, anything changed height. If changes are too drastic or the model gets confused over passed instructions, I think the files fall back on a default set. Some of the files in the .packages have a fallback reference, and I think that is what it is for. Basically, I am trying to create a stand-alone object that acts like a raised floor, kind of like what Inge described from Sims 2 previously in this post. This part of the coding was changed a bit in Sims 3 though.

These are my current long-shots and stabs in the dark. If anyone is really good at using EA coding, maybe this will offer a couple of directions to try. By all means, beat me to the punch if you are able. This one will not complain, he will not.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#32 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 2:32 PM
Hmm I got the impression from my poking about that while the foundation and deck *do* actually raise the floor over their area, the platform appeared to actually be ON the floor - like an object that had methods to get on and off it, and routing slots. Whereas with a foundation, the sim uses the stairs as portals to it, as if it was a different room. Ie my impression was the platform is an object, rather than an item of structure.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 2:50 PM Last edited by simoro : 23rd Jan 2011 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Added statement and image
The platforms kind of act in between structure and object. The model for the platform (well, platformhelper) is worthless, just a generic fill in object. When a platform is placed, the floor below it disappears. If you place a platform and use CFE to change the floor elevation, the surface of the platform goes with the elevation change, but the platform walls do not, so you can see whats under the platform (which is nothing, incidently). It does however delete like an object and somehow knows to return the floor to its normal height, but whatever texture you had on the platform goes to the floor. As far as portals and room definitions go, I am learning, but they don't make a whole lot of sense to me yet. I assumed that the only reason platforms even had portals was because they were low enough to be stepped up on. Of course, I cannot compare this to decks and foundations, as there is no code for those. Concerning decks and foundation however, if you build one, and then lower the terrain around them, the deck and foundation walls go all the way to the bottom most extent of the lot.

I am certainly not saying you are incorrect, Inge. After all you understand more of this than I do. These are just my observations on how the things work.

Edit:
Sorry in advance for the number of edits on this post. Just wanted to put a blurb on here about how all of these structures work in game, for those who are curious. The pictured example is of a platform built on the second floor, and then CFEd down. You can build stairs this way, but it is pretty much the same as using the CFE cheat without platforms, only the platforms cannot be deleted until they are leveled out again. Using the CFE cheat basically just brings the second floor down to the level where the landing is desirable. If the platform structure can be raised, than the landing will technically be on the first floor, thus avoiding all of the slanty wall effects of CFE. Decks and foundations create a new floor level grid (effectively making everything built on top of them the 'second' floor. Walls actually are doing the same thing, 'cept you can place stuff between them. Platforms make use of the same floor grid that they are built upon.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 12th Feb 2011 at 11:42 PM
Sorry 'bout no updates. Work and education are rearing their ugly heads, so I have not had a whole lot of time to bash my forehead against my keyboard. That and there has still been no real epiphany to how to bend The Sims 3 will to do my evil bidding.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 8th May 2011 at 10:32 PM
Thank you for trying!
Test Subject
#36 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:03 AM
Like you I would love to be able to manipulate the stairs with out having to use the CFE cheat. The idea that I had a while ago was to ask a creator if they could make columns at different intervals but didn't know who to approach, but the other idea I've just had whist typing this, would it be possible to manipulate the column slider that came with on of the ep ( sorry can't remember which) to give it even more variations in height? (if that makes sense)
Page 2 of 2