Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 10:10 PM
Default Turning off the "move wall" arrow that appears with the hand?
Out of everything strange and different and annoying in Sims 3, THIS is my biggest peeve because it constantly screws me up when I'm building! It's taking me forever to finish my current project because whenever I use the hand tool, the horizontal arrows to move walls back and forth appear first and I end up moving a wall and completely screwing my modular levels. Yes, it can be undone, but it's constantly getting in the way and slowing me down/messing me up.

I'm not sure what this "tool" is called so I don't know what to search google or the forums for, though. I was hoping someone here is familiar with it and knows whether or not it can be turned off?

This is what I'm referring to:

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 6:48 AM
I hope someone can post a solution for this. I also have problems with that stupid arrow. When I was building Goldwyn Cottage, I ended up redoing stuff several time over because of it. I have started zooming in as close as possible to what I am trying to get a hand hold on, if a window or door I do this angled from the top, so that I have a little easier time of the hand actually working. Another peeve of with the arrow is how it shows up in cameraman mode all the time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sookielee
I hope someone can post a solution for this. I also have problems with that stupid arrow. When I was building Goldwyn Cottage, I ended up redoing stuff several time over because of it. I have started zooming in as close as possible to what I am trying to get a hand hold on, if a window or door I do this angled from the top, so that I have a little easier time of the hand actually working. Another peeve of with the arrow is how it shows up in cameraman mode all the time.

Yes, that too! I also realized it shows up in buy mode when I'm decorating and putting an item on or near a wall

And it's not like it's all that difficult or time-consuming to just change the wall manually so I really don't even understand thepoint of such a tool, especially when it shows up all the time - as if Maxis thought it was just that useful and important?

Makes no sense. There must be a way to turn it off...
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 10:24 AM
The reason it is there is because you can resize a room for less by dragging the wall in/out. If you remove walls and the paper on them then redo you loose $$. When you use that arrow, you don't.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 10:32 AM
I'd be interested to the solution for this too. In my game, that stupid green arrow still persists even after I go back into live mode and try to play - I end up having to quit and restart the game to stop having it appearing all over the walls of every room I go into while playing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 6:31 PM
The reason it is there is because you can resize a room for less by dragging the wall in/out. If you remove walls and the paper on them then redo you loose $$. When you use that arrow, you don't.

Well, alright, that seems reasonable... but what's NOT reasonable is it not being a normal tool in the build mode tab, that one can turn off and on. There's no reason for it to appear when we're in buy mode, and definitely not when the player is in live mode, as mentioned above. That doesn't make sense.

I'm wondering if it was just a mistake on the part of Maxis, and they just gave the tool more power than they meant. Either way... it's quite the nuisance!

I have a feeling that something like a mod may be needed but I'm scared to death to just mess with the options in game, let alone the code!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
I'd be interested to the solution for this too. In my game, that stupid green arrow still persists even after I go back into live mode and try to play - I end up having to quit and restart the game to stop having it appearing all over the walls of every room I go into while playing!

this is EXACTLY what happens to me-but for me, the arrow disappears when i go into buy mode: but before i do that, it just stays there in live mode.

A watched pot never boils. But a watched pan still fries, and a grease fire burns down your house whether you watch it or not.
Scholar
#8 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 10:06 AM
It doesn't happen to me. I only get the option of moving the wall in the build mode. In buy mode it becomes a red arrow. I don't think this is affecting everyone in the same way. In my game it's a good thing as it saves loads of time if you want to extend a lot wih more than one story, although it doesn't work on a wall with a diagonal part to it.

Only adding to this to let you know it isn't an across the board thing, which makes it weird. It has never, ever showed up in live mode for me. Hopefully more people will add and it can be worked out maybe

Oh, FYI I don't have the latest two patches installed. Could these be part of the problem? How many experiencing have the patches?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 10:33 AM
I'm patched up to the latest patch, and now that you mention it, I've only had this issue of the green arrow persisting in live mode recently, so maybe it's yet another new bug that was introduced with the latest patch(es).
Scholar
#10 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
I'm patched up to the latest patch, and now that you mention it, I've only had this issue of the green arrow persisting in live mode recently, so maybe it's yet another new bug that was introduced with the latest patch(es).

That's what I'm thinking, I think we might find the people with this problem have patched. Luckily the last two didn't work for me right away and I gave up, there are so many complaints over on sim3 about them, some people can't play their game at all anymore.

It will be interesting to see how many people have the patches installed that are having this issue
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 11:05 AM
Since the latest patch, I've also been getting sims standing up in the middle of their chair - right THROUGH the chair - while reading books, and sims with just heads and feet but no bodies. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can play fine otherwise!
Scholar
#12 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 11:39 AM
I've had them stand in the middle of objects so I don't think that's just new. Could have been the patch before though haha. I've had them do the toe tapping for ages, then they walk through each other before.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
It will be interesting to see how many people have the patches installed that are having this issue

I have the latest patch installed and it happens occasionally that I get the green arrow on the wall during gameplay. No biggie for me, as I figure it's just a glitch. I have tried to move the wall in gameplay, but it only said "go here"
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#14 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 11:51 AM
It would be better if the wall moving tool was a seperate tool on the control panel, I agree.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 6:52 PM
The silly green arrow appearing in live mode is definitely a patch issue that started with 1.3 or 1.4 – there were lots of posts about it when one of those patches was new; I run 1.27 myself and I never had that problem.

I agree it's pointless and annoying even so =/

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 10:57 AM
Problem is, even those of us who didn't patch will end up with the patch inadvertently when we install the new EP next month.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 10:59 AM

So, just wanting to hide the green/red arrow wall-grabber from view or you guys dislike the room resizing capability? How much difference in $$ are we talking about? Has anyone done an analysis and comparison?

I hardly ever use this "feature" because it messed up the floors which I'll have to do over. I would just rather redo the walls myself as per normal.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
So, just wanting to hide the green/red arrow wall-grabber from view or you guys dislike the room resizing capability? How much difference in $$ are we talking about? Has anyone done an analysis and comparison?

I hardly ever use this "feature" because it messed up the floors which I'll have to do over. I would just rather redo the walls myself as per normal.

Your second paragraph - exactly! And I don't think it's so much hiding the arrow that's the problem, but getting rid of it entirely. The whole room resizing tool in general isn't really that useful, when you can just use sledgehammer and wall tools, and the power that arrow has is much too extreme :/

I played with both tools and didn't notice any difference in prices, so if there ARE differences, I can't imagine them being significant...
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2009 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redleigh86
Your second paragraph - exactly! And I don't think it's so much hiding the arrow that's the problem, but getting rid of it entirely. The whole room resizing tool in general isn't really that useful, when you can just use sledgehammer and wall tools, and the power that arrow has is much too extreme :/

I played with both tools and didn't notice any difference in prices, so if there ARE differences, I can't imagine them being significant...

Personally I like the tool. I've used it quite often if I needed a room larger or smaller, instead of having to go through destruction and rebuilding. There are a few negative sides to it, but I haven't had the problem that my wall was moving when I wanted to move a window or door or picture or such...
It's a pity you can't move it with diagonal walls or counters attached to it.
Instructor
#20 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 4:55 AM
The $$ only comes into play when you are resizing a room for an active family. If you are building there is no price difference, but if you want to change something in the house your family is living in there is a $$ difference.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RobiBue

I was thinking the same. Does anybody know why it doesn't work with counters and cabinets? Other than that, I like the tool
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RobiBue

that's the main reason I don't use it much. I love building with diagonal walls.So I can't use the tool much. Some times I will temporarily delete the diagonal walls (usually only 1 or 2 walls) and then resize the room and put the diagonal walls in the appropriate places.
Test Subject
#23 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:55 PM
To get rid of it in live mode, go into buy mode before you go into live mode. It only happens if you go from build mode into live mode. You will still have a glitch but it will be a hand instead of an arrow.
Scholar
#24 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 7:34 PM
I actually think it's a great tool. I use it a lot when building and find it's great if you've build two storey's then find you want them bigger. It's a bonus that you don't have to redo the carpet or wall coverings in the newly created bits, it speeds it right up