Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 7:23 PM Last edited by unghie : 18th Jun 2011 at 8:59 AM.
Default How does this basement peek out of the ground?
I was looking at domangcop's blog and I found this house:

http://blog.naver.com/PostThumbnail...ntCategoryNo=11

How does one execute such a basement?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 7:25 PM
Image link is busted. Can you link to the page it's on instead?
dodgy builder
#3 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 12:06 AM
Isn't that the guy with the walk-in-basement using the basement tool?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Image link is busted. Can you link to the page it's on instead?
dodgy builder
#5 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 11:14 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 18th Jun 2011 at 11:24 AM.
All those pictures and they are all of the front! Makes me think the back is no good oh no that was only my slow pc lol.

Isn't this the house we picked up the open basement technic from: http://blog.naver.com/PostThumbnail...ntCategoryNo=11
You can build as many basements you want below each other, but here he has the ground close to the wall. Too bad these guys don't post on english sites.
mature minion
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 11:48 AM Last edited by Tee Hee Hee : 18th Jun 2011 at 2:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by unghie
I was looking at domangcop's blog and I found this house:

How does one execute such a basement?

To have your basement "peak" out of the ground like that requires three quite basic steps.

I - build your basement where you want it to be (making sure the ground is flat)

II - use the cheat "constrainFloorElevation False"

III - use the lower terrain tool to drag the ground below the height of the basement wall

(optional IV - use "moveobjects on" to add windows)

Oh and always remember use "constrainFloorElevation True" once you're done messing with CFE!

Please IGNORE this post - Read on for actual solution
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 1:09 PM
I just went into the game to try this... I still can't reproduce the effect in that picture. The top of the wall becomes crooked too and I can't find a way to straighten it without bringing the ground back up again.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
mature minion
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I just went into the game to try this... I still can't reproduce the effect in that picture. The top of the wall becomes crooked too and I can't find a way to straighten it without bringing the ground back up again.

Ok, I'll investigate! To the mystery bus...oh no wait...just to the sims 3, silly me :D
mature minion
retired moderator
#9 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:47 PM Last edited by Tee Hee Hee : 18th Jun 2011 at 5:44 PM.
Ok, so this is possible, not in a neat, elegant or simple way though...

I will get a quick picture tutorial up soon (I promise)

Just to prove it is possible and as a sneak peak -

To show a more elaborate version of what this technique can do -

The other one
#10 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:56 PM
OMG....the bending skills of that builder(s).....I have no words he/she's a frickin genius. I suddenly feel like a complete novice.

That's it, as soon as the little one goes for a nap I'm gonna have to investigate....but have a feeling I'm just not smart enough to figure it out

Edit: Beat to it by teehee

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
#11 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 6:05 PM
Hmm I don't understand how you get a roof on it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The other one
#12 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 6:39 PM Last edited by missroxor : 18th Jun 2011 at 7:02 PM.
I find the link that Volvenom posted fascinating. I've been working on trying to re-create it but I'm going round in circles, lol. I'm having issues with the simplest thing: for some reason I can't get pool windows to work anymore. Are they working fine for everyone else or is it just me?

I figure the back bit doesn't look like pool water, more like pond water but they must use 1 tile of pool or fountain to get the windows in....I think. I tried just flooding the basement but it looked pants...will keep trying (In the mean time if anybody know how to do this please put me out of my misery )

Edit: I did think about downloading it so I could just reverse engineer it but it downloads as an application rather than a sims3pack and when I try to open it my security checker goes nuts. I scanned it and it said there were no viruses or anything but I'm just wary of opening stuff up from sites that I don't know, especially when it makes my computer freak!

2nd Edit: Actually, I managed to do a flooded basement area for around the back and it worked fine. My current version is a bit messy, I'll try to do a neater version and post a pic.
Screenshots

mature minion
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 6:58 PM
Hmm I don't understand how you get a roof on it.

The roof is on top of artificially lowered wall, same height as a foundation. That's why the rocks are used to cover the back where you can't place the wall due to the stairs

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
I find the link that Volvenom posted fascinating. I've been working on trying to re-create it but I'm going round in circles, lol. I'm having issues with the simplest thing: for some reason I can't get pool windows to work anymore. Are they working fine for everyone else or is it just me?

I figure the back bit doesn't look like pool water, more like pond water but they must use 1 tile of pool or fountain to get the windows in....I think. I tried just flooding the basement but it looked pants...will keep trying (In the mean time if anybody know how to do this please put me out of my misery )

Edit: I did think about downloading it so I could just reverse engineer it but it downloads as an application rather than a sims3pack and when I try to open it my security checker goes nuts. I scanned it and it said there were no viruses or anything but I'm just wary of opening stuff up from sites that I don't know, especially when it makes my computer freak!

This was explored and explained in this thread I think, hope it helps!
The other one
#14 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tee Hee Hee
This was explored and explained in this thread I think, hope it helps!

Wow, thanks Teehee! That thread looks awesome! My pc was broke in January when that thread was being discussed so I guess I missed more than I realised

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:10 AM
Can't wait to see TeeHee's tut
#16 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:20 AM
Ok... I could do it with a "foundation" or lowered wall above, but doesn't this defeat the object a little as it still uses up an above-ground level and of course still suffers from the minimum 4-click height above ground? We might just as well use just a foundation to make the half submerged basement, as it does everything else required, including accepting windows with "moveobjects" cheat.

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#17 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 5:06 PM
To me, personally, it looks like this:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=412319

With a stage foundation placed over it; the bushes cover where the gaps are probably located. I'll test it out in a second.

Changed my mind - I think Tee Hee Hee is actually right :P

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
#18 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 5:13 PM
So that basement we started by talking about was never made by the basement tool at all, it;s just a foundation?

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 5:15 PM
See, I still wonder how it is accessible without extreme CFE *inside* of the mountain. Has anyone downloaded the lot to check it out closer?

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
mature minion
retired moderator
#20 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 7:13 PM
Ok, this is a bit picture heavy so I'll put it in a spoiler

If any of that isn't as clear as mud please let me know and I'll try to explain :D
#21 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:07 PM
I understood it, but I am not sure I see the benefit of this over using a foundation? I think it would only be preferable if you didn't have to have the extra wall above, if you could have the ground appearing to be on top of the roof without rock camouflage. And then there are the stairs half way up the wall to make it look weird...

Thanks anyway for the tut

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#22 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:20 PM
The only benefit is being able to place a window. With a foundation you either need two windows or place a wall - however, with the wall, the inside will become distorted as well.

It is really an issue of practicality vs. aesthetics (that are quite odd to begin with)

#23 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:25 PM
Can you not place a window on a foundation wall with moveobjects?

mature minion
retired moderator
#24 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 9:17 PM
Can you not place a window on a foundation wall with moveobjects?

You can, absolutely...but the height of it is determined by the ground level on one side

Therefore you can't have windows which have the bottom 1/2 (for example) completely below ground.

Also the benefit of this is not having to double wall to hide the change in elevation as there isn't one (in the same place at least!)
#25 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 12:01 AM
Oh that's a good point!

Page 1 of 3