Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 5:30 PM
Default Will the Sims 3 Store still exist?
I know that since the Sims 4 will be coming out, it will likely have a Sims 4 Store. Although the focus will obviously be on the Sims 4 Store, will I still be able to download content from the Sims 3 Store, or is EA going to shut it down?

Sorry if I'm being unclear. What I am asking is, will the Sims 3 Store still be around for me to download things from when the Sims 4 comes out, even if EA no longer makes Sims 3 content?

Thanks!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 5:52 PM
I don't think anyone knows the definite answer to that besides EA, but... if it's anything like what happened with TS2, then the answer would be "Yes, for a while, but only for a while, and then it'll disappear as if it never existed."

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 7:08 PM
For maybe a year after TS4's release, and eventually will be closed.

vanilla-breyers.tumblr.com
Forum Resident
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 9:26 AM
It makes them money, they will keep it around quite a while I am sure. Probably with more discounts and free stuff.
Instructor
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 9:35 AM
I think it'll close a few EPs into TS4's run. By then they'll think that they've managed to attract all the TS3 players to TS4 and that their work with TS3 is done.

I do wish they'll keep it around. A few items per month shouldn't be too much of a hassle, and a lot of people will stick to TS3 so they'd probably profit from it too.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 3:07 PM
I hope it may go free for all content after sims 4 comes out, I may not be the biggest fan of sims 3 or store content but it does prove useful and they do have some stuff I want in my game. Decides they closed down the sims 2 store soon after sims 3 realise I think and soon you could probably find all the sims 3 store stuff on a forum somewhere for free.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 5:03 PM
^ It would be great for everything to be free after The Sims 4 comes out. But then again I think about how I've purchased some things from there and it would make me furious if all of a sudden it was all for free and I wasted my hard earned money, especially since its all over-priced like a world being as much as an expansion pack for example (and I've bought two). There's always ways to get everything off the store for free, which is my guess considering each expansion pack and stuff pack are available.

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 8:13 PM
I think that there is a big chance that Thesims4 get a Store since it makes money for EA.

I ,myself, would prefer no store, or at last no premium content (even more with the tons of rip-offs there,they made several packs just with Bon Voyage and freetime ripped content), and that they focus on making better EPs instead and leave Store as Stuff Pack online, and also individual objects would be better than having to pay an entire set for an overpriced simpoint amount, just to get an item.

Thesims3 store time is probably going out together with the rest of Thesims3 site,Then they will move to Thesims4 and shut down thesims3.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 11:41 PM
Espically if they do not have cc allowed for the game, there will be more content with more paid items than free as it would be in greater demand.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 3:38 AM
They may:

1.) Open a full Sims 1-4 Store with all items for sale and for free!
2.) Close down the Sims 3 Store because they need the meshes for the Sims 4 (I swear that 3/4 of the meshes and animations from the Sims 3 were cribbed from the Sims 2).
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
I hope it may go free for all content after sims 4 comes out

Honestly, it's hippy attitude like this that makes EA share owners poor

I think the store will stay up for some time but I'd be surprised if any new content comes out for it after TS4. More likely even the in game ads will be "buy TS4, buy TS4". Currently the store is EA's only way to get more money from sim players. That's why they need to add new stuff until TS4 comes out.

As much as I'd like not to have the store it's never going to happen. It makes too much money and specially if EA has plans that you can shop straight from the game and get new content into the game without even exiting the game it's going to make them even more money.

What comes to CC (by CC I mean user made content) I don't think it will sees to exist. EA will not give the community a helping hand to understand how CC can be made and used in game but if the community figures it out then I doubt EA will make a patch to purposely break it or prevent it. It never did either in the three previous games. Too many simmers out there in the official sites are too afraid to use anything not approved by EA. Even though CC exist and it looks like many use it I do think the masses in the official forum don't. And it's them who will buy anything made by the EA store team.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#12 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 5:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_

. Even though CC exist and it looks like many use it I do think the masses in the official forum don't. And it's them who will buy anything made by the EA store team.
I agree, sorta. There are a lot of people who claim they don't use CC but do (Let's be honest, here, the mindset of these people over there is "Ooh, Shiney!" and they will probably not balk at sticking in hair or clothing if they can't get it from the store). And while this may be hard for us to comprehend, there are still people who say things like "I don't use CC, I only download from the Exchange." when we all know that the Exchange is one messed up smoothie of other peoples' game excretions. I'm sure there are plenty out there who do not use any CC, but for many, when they say "No CC" what they really mean is "No Mods". Even if they don't realize it.

I do agree that CC will stick around, as A) even the few games released that have been said are "unmodable" get modded within a week of release, if not before. B) Simmers, in particular, are a fairly persistent bunch when it comes to figuring stuff out (they have to be) and C) Mods and CC are commonplace for any major PC game out there. It really is only in EA Land that there is a stigma attached to using them, as they cannot make money on such things, and that seems to be the main reason for them to make games, as opposed to making a good game that then makes money. Most companies actually provide modding tools for there games. They want to see what other people contribute, not only for their enjoyment, and the satisfaction that comes with knowing people really like their product, but also it is a great form of feedback. When Fallout 3 was released, one of the most popular mods for it was the Weapon Modding System, where people could add things like scopes and silencers to equipment. The games creators took note of this, and when the time came for Fallout: New Vegas, they included weapon mods in the game itself, and it is a feature that fans enjoy. Not so for EA and the Sims. There are NO official modding tools out there, we have to come up with our own. Of course, that doesn't stop them for mining the best CC out there. I have several pieces of clothing from the later EP's that look remarkably similar to pieces I had for years, in CC form.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 7:04 PM
If you have any store items at all just copy your downloads file and keep it safe either on a external hard drive or burn it to disk.
C:\Users\(Your Computer Name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads

This way if and when the store goes away like the Sims 2 store did you will have a back up of the items.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#14 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 9:28 PM
Those on the official forums may state they don't want 3rd party CC in their games because the CC breaks their game, but the DLC from the store break game play too and they will not fix it for years. Still a big pile of poo I can't use in my game because it doesn't work properly, even when I take all 3rd party CC out. Or I have to get a mod to cut out the stupid that EA likes to put in the object, abundantly. Lesson learned and not taking it into the next series.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 8:33 PM
The Sims 3 store will probably close when EA feels as if they have got all the TS3 fans who are willing to upgrade to TS4, have TS4. They will probably shut it down once the store stops making them money.
I seriously doubt EA will make the store free afterwards. Why would they do that? That potential profit right there, EA isn't going to turn that money down.
And they've just spend a lot of time and money trying to convince us to buy and play their new game. Why would give out free CC afterwards? Chose which game you want to buy.

You can buy TS4 which is more expensive, no expansions if you want for content besides just the basics, you have to buy overpriced CC from the store, probably a smaller amount of buyers meaning a smaller community and few mods if any at all.
Or you can buy TS3 which you pick up for about 20 bucks online, bursting with a whopping 11 expansion packs, enough CC and mods to last a lifetime, large community and EA is giving out FREE CC for everyone!
Yeah...I don't think so. Once the TS3 is done, they are going to pretend it doesn't exist at all.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 16th Jan 2014 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
They may:

1.) Open a full Sims 1-4 Store with all items for sale and for free!
2.) Close down the Sims 3 Store because they need the meshes for the Sims 4 (I swear that 3/4 of the meshes and animations from the Sims 3 were cribbed from the Sims 2).

i saw in sims 3 how the children talk to the teens and up and it is simaler to the sims 2 one i think they definently grabbed animations from the sims 2 and if they DID do that then why didn't they do it with the cars? (you know hoe in TS3 they teleport into the car? and in sims 2 the get in the car like a normal human being?)
Test Subject
#17 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 5:29 AM
I hope that if that does happen, all the stuff in the store is thrown in for free in sims 3 so they aren't just continuing to live up to their awarded "worst company in america" awards. As if.
Scholar
#18 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 10:27 PM
Until it's no longer profitable for them, then they'll shut it down like the Sims 2 site