Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 2:48 AM
Default Are you so versed in a franchise's universe, you piss off other fans?
I'm more hardcore than most hardcore fans.
I can tell you I'm willing to teach a workshop on Sailor Moon.

Why the bold thread title?
Well, after the demotion of Pluto (the actual planet-turned-dwarf planet), a lot of people did fan art for a joke Sailor Pluto getting kicked out of the Sailor Guardians team.

Well, no matter how many times I state that the planets they represent is based on that planet's position in the zodiacal reading and keeping with their birthdays and that the planets in real life, have extremely little to no bearing at all beyond being their planetary affiliation by birth, I am seen as a noodge.

Today, some douchebag sent me the Animation Domination High Definition (ADHD for short) clip, which, not only offended me in the fact they heavily relied on science to the point of relying on inserting an anime version of the man who helped unanimously demoted the former planet Pluto: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, that and it was extremely crappy, it was like they weren't even trying to make an effort.

I had a lousy day with a virus.

To be apt on the comparison, I was on a crutch, and some jerk kicks the foot of the crutch out from underneath and I'm hobbling away. That's was essentially the ego part of my hyper-hardcore devotion.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 11:57 PM
I don't really get too worked up over my fandoms usually. I like a lot of book series and stuff but if someone gets something wrong or makes fun of it it generally doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes it does piss me off if they insult the actual fans though - like saying they're immature, stupid, running away from reality, etc. But I don't care much if they don't like the thing itself.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 5:06 AM
My knowledge of Naruto is stupidly, embarrassingly vast. It takes all my self control when I overhear people talking about it not to go, "Well, actually..."
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 12:56 PM
I consider myself as a medium-ish fan of most of my fandoms, and have a relaxed relationship to most of them. I read the books/watch the series, I talk about them to people who seem interested in it, and I usually know a lot of stuff about them and surrounding elements (actors, author, that kind of stuff). But I don't dress up at every occasion, or follow the fandom around the world, or scream like a little fangirl on the kind of occasions that some people do scream like little fangirls, or get autographs of every single actor on set, or do any of the other 'hardcore fan' things, or insist on having fandom tattoos. I do draw the line somewhere...

I probably have pissed off a few wannabe fans of various fandoms throughout the years, but usually not enough to make a big case out of it (for the most part, the person in the other end is of the very easily offended type). As for myself, I don't easily get offended if my fandoms are made fun of. If the joke is actually funny, I can laugh. If I don't find it funny, I'm usually old and smart enough to overlook it.

As for Pluto, It was a planet throughout most of my childhood, but I'm enough into science to realize why it's no longer considered one of the big planets. I also feel no need to get upset over it. Science facts and science theories change all the time, and you just have to deal with it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
As for Pluto, It was a planet throughout most of my childhood, but I'm enough into science to realize why it's no longer considered one of the big planets. I also feel no need to get upset over it. Science facts and science theories change all the time, and you just have to deal with it.

Obviously you're not living in the city where Pluto was first discovered! You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here who won't start arguing with you if you claim Pluto isn't a planet. Compact Car = Car, right? So then Dwarf Planet = PLANET. YOU just have to deal with it!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 8:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Jan 2015 at 4:28 AM.
Well... I don't live there. And that's probably for the best. Also, I did say "no longer one of the big planets". It's a dwarf planet, so it's a kind of planet, just no longer counted as one of the big main planets. And YOU just have to deal with that (until someone says otherwise)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 10:08 PM
Well, another thing...I am such a big astrology nerd that, for the shits and giggles that pay, I'd be willing to divine your possible future.

I'm also well versed in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 11:42 PM
I've actually never seen someone get pissed off with another fan because the other fan knows more about whatever the topic of the fandom is than they do. I have, however, seen people get pissed off with people who act superior about their fandom knowledge, or refuse to enjoy any commentary about the thing which isn't 100% TWUE REAL ACTUAL CAAAANOOOON.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 4:57 AM
Simple: I avoid fans of the same things I like, or feign ignorance and disinterest to avoid conversation with those I do encounter. I don't like sharing, ha ha. I take a look at fan-niches of stuff I like occasionally, and that only ever serves to deepen my selfish hermitude with justification. I just want to enjoy it myself, not talk about it at length with someone who knows more/less/different things about it than me.
Discrepancies are unacceptable to me. I think I'm doing other fans a service by keeping this rather rude attitude to myself. :D

Actually, this is how I treat nearly all subjects of any interest or importance to me; I'm rather unsocial, I suppose.