Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 10:56 PM
Default How would you make a Sims online game?
Just curious as to how a Sims online game would work? How would you implement it to be successful?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 11:46 PM
I wouldn't want it as an online game, so I wouldn't do anything towards it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:09 AM
http://freeso.org/

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#4 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:47 AM
The Sims Onine/FreeSO's way of implementing the idea is done really well. FreeSO even added a 3D mode (which still comes with many borked meshes but for a small team they're getting through those very quickly. In the meantime just don't zoom in too close ).

Would be nice to see an equivalent with Sims 2 or later graphics though. And one without the drama that FreeSO has (I guess that's inevitably all social games but still, keep it in mind if you try it).

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 2:02 PM
How I would do it. Obviously optional and not lock things (objects, hair, clothing etc.) that are exclusive to online but fits in singleplayer as well. Maybe servers could have different laws and economics with the world of choice. A feature to invite others players temporarily for a trip to your singleplayer world (only If doesn't mess/screw it up). I do have an open mind for multiplayer online, though unfortunately, I'm in minority here (here comes flooding I-don-t-want-multiplayer-I-want-to-escape-real-world comments comming. We can still discuss over about it, as I open to argue, defend and support ideas for and against it

FreeSO tends to be boring at times, probably due to the fault of mine of being an avid TS2 simmer. Maybe I miss thing I often do in my game on daily base that I'm not unable to do in FREESO .

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:04 PM
I wouldn't.

Just reading through threads about how people actually play this game there's too many elements that are highly individual that contribute significantly to gameplay. If you made an online version it wouldn't be the sims anymore in my opinion, it would be IMVU or Secondlife - more about playing a single avatar and interacting with others than playing a world build to your specifications.

Maybe I'm antisocial, but I absolutely hate the idea of playing TS2 with strangers. My game, my way.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 5:10 PM
Doesn't necessary have to be about "a single avatar", just because other mmpog are like that. The Sims Series are about the family aspect, and it's the about the only game/franchise I know embraces control over different ages Maybe EA would implement single-sim experience, but the title of this thread is about how I/you/whatever will make it I do understand those who don't like playing with other players. I'm antisocial myself.

My concept for all game would includee all expansion packs, that is If the game were standalone. Otherwise, maybe the perks would be of owning a certain expansion pack will allow them to use it on their own lot. This is from a marketing perspective btw.

Theorist
#8 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:12 PM
How would I make a Sims online game?

I wouldn't.

I don't have anymore to say than that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#9 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 7:52 PM
I prefer Multiplayer games over online-only games.

online games; making them and making other sites, I take little difference.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 8:55 PM
Personally for me I would just like the social aspect of it, maybe other players can build homes in the same neighborhood and they can technically visit...but they wouldnt be able to build in the same lot as you.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:05 PM
Kind of like FreeSO.

Theorist
#12 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Personally for me I would just like the social aspect of it, maybe other players can build homes in the same neighborhood and they can technically visit...but they wouldnt be able to build in the same lot as you.

So it would basically be a virtual chatroom with a bilding simulator attached. "Wooo"

And as Bulbizarre already pointed out you can play that game, right now, it's called FreeSO

Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:49 PM
An online version would most likely contain about 1000% more paid content than today, both from EA's side and CC creators, so I wouldn't be interested. EA already has a somewhat bad rep with several of their online games, particularly the Sims related ones, so that's another reason I'm not interested.

Somewhere in the TS3 era, the Sims games took a steep turn downhill, and continued in that direction. Considering EA can't even put a decent amount of content in their base games and EPs for non-online games nowadays, an online game would most likely be stripped to the bone, everything else (read: anything interesting) would be pay-per-item, pay per load of points you can use (if it's that kind of game), paid-for exclusive elements, level-up exclusive elements, etc.

I'm a control freak in my own game, so any type of multiplayer or online version of multiplayer wouldn't be much interesting to me.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
So it would basically be a virtual chatroom with a bilding simulator attached. "Wooo"

And as Bulbizarre already pointed out you can play that game, right now, it's called FreeSO

So would that make the singleplayer experience just a building simulator.

Multiplayer would need to have more interactive jobs. Like playing as a maid or a taxi driver. Or maybe even a landlord? Skill decay would need to be implemented, but very very slow then that of hobby system. Also grinding perhaps should be slower, because others could catch up with the rest of the players. Ohhh I can only imagine opening a shop at my own lot and have others (or even just buddies) come over. Come on, we can at least agree that it would be cool to have only invited friends and fellow simmers from here that you know really well and throw a cool house party privately. :D

Theorist
#15 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
So would that make the singleplayer experience just a building simulator.

No? In the single player you have building and furnishing, but also family and relationship management, storytelling, caring for the Sim larvae, leveling in the form of skills and jobs.
Except for the jobs and skills, all of that pretty much falls away in an online version of the Sims, as Sims Online/Free SO and the early concepts for Sims 4 show.

They had interactive Jobs in Sims Online...and they were an absolute grind-fest... The rest of the gameplay just devolved into ppeople grinding skills together and throwing virtual parties. Basically that Second Life thing with less explicit stuff.

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Come on, we can at least agree that it would be cool to have only invited friends and fellow simmers from here that you know really well and throw a cool house party privately. :D

No. No we cannot agree on that.

I mean I get the idea of wanting to show a house to a friend, that's something I do as well. But with modern tech it's much easier and more convenient to make a screen share call on Discord than having their Sim avatar go into the game.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 11:46 PM
Sims 3 Showtime had Simport, and that sounded like a great idea, but the reality was not so much fun.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 3:50 AM
I know I'm a little late to the FreeSO suggestions party, but I just tried it last week and it's a lot of fun. I love how everyone just jumps in and we're all friends. I'm not anyone's roommate, so I can't cook food, but a ton of people cooked food for me and other newbies. Then we went to work and figured out how to build robots. We peed ourselves because we weren't sure how to leave and there were no toilets on the lot. Great fun.

If you're wanting a true sims experience, though- like with families and stuff- you're better off playing the real games. Even if more sims stuff was implemented in FreeSO, it would really only appeal to people who are into role playing. If I know the internet, stuff would get real weird, real fast.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 4:33 AM Last edited by gazania : 26th Jul 2018 at 4:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Sims 3 Showtime had Simport, and that sounded like a great idea, but the reality was not so much fun.

Actually, I came to the party way too late regarding that, and now I read (a rumor?) that EA might be phasing that out. I would have loved to try it, because it would have been the most similar to what I might have liked. What WAS the problem with that, anyway? Was it just limited to the lot, and you couldn't venture off it? Could you not interact with any of the Sims? How did CC work in all this? What about it that eventually, by the time I finally got Showtime (last year), became an idea that pretty much fizzed out?

That is probably a question for Sims 3 folks. But I'm yearning to know!

I'm probably one of the few who would love an online feature to a Sims game. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to actually visit some of the hoods mentioned here that some of you play. Yes, you can provide pictures and videos, but it's not quite the same. I've mentioned this before a few times, but I wouldn't mind an Animal Crossing-like scenario. You arrive via train and can visit your host's house. You can walk around town and interact with other Sims. However, your interior visits would be limited to your host's house and community lots. You can't stroll into any ol' Sim's house in your host's hood.

Looking through the posts, I see that someone mentioned a party. The YoVille app had that years ago, and it was really fun! I used to go to many a party back when I played. It would be cool to be chatting with some of the regulars here while touring their house and munching on the host's snacks.

I didn't say doing this was feasible for the Sims series. It might not even be desirable to many Sims players. But I think it would be fun. The visiting feature was very popular in Animal Crossing for a while; at least years back when I last played it. I'm not sure that feature was included in later versions. It was also popular in YoVille as well for a while. (Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what happened to YoVille. Last I heard of it, it was renamed or something?)

There are a few concerns, though:

1. Safety first! Unfortunately, there were many nasty people in AC who knew how to hack the system to steal items in a host's house. Fortunately, Nintendo had a bail-out feature, but you had to remember to do it before too much harm was done. There needs to be a way to boot out trolls and not lose your stuff. Our board had a rating system, Players could check the reputations of other players before inviting them.

2. I guess there should be a goal; otherwise, the appeal may quickly dry out. However, the last thing I would want would be for this to be integral to playing the game. Optional only!

3. And as others here have mentioned, how do your get around CC? Your host may have different CC items than you. It's not much fun walking into a house filled with flashing blue stuff or a bunch of vases, and can leave both your games open to crashing.

4. EA might DLC the crap out if this. I'm not sure how, but be rest assured someone will think of something!

So while it's a great idea in fantasy, it may not play out as well in reality.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#19 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
I know I'm a little late to the FreeSO suggestions party, but I just tried it last week and it's a lot of fun. I love how everyone just jumps in and we're all friends. I'm not anyone's roommate, so I can't cook food, but a ton of people cooked food for me and other newbies. Then we went to work and figured out how to build robots. We peed ourselves because we weren't sure how to leave and there were no toilets on the lot. Great fun.

I was addicted to FreeSO for like 3 months straight, then some drama happened and I realised how cult-like many of the regulars behaved. Talking behind each others backs on Discord over nothing, that sort of thing. Ugh. I can ignore players but when the devs start acting questionably as well, yeah that was enough for me.

I'll never deny the game itself is super fun though. The careers I found VERY addictive especially diner. I'm kinda ashamed to admit I reached level 10 of that since it requires a boatload of hours to reach.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Mad Poster
#20 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
1. Safety first! Unfortunately, there were many nasty people in AC who knew how to hack the system to steal items in a host's house. Fortunately, Nintendo had a bail-out feature, but you had to remember to do it before too much harm was done. There needs to be a way to boot out trolls and not lose your stuff. Our board had a rating system, Players could check the reputations of other players before inviting them.

Even better: In Wild World, there was "seeding." Unscrupulous players could do things from putting trees and rocks in front of doorways to bricking the entire game.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#21 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Even better: In Wild World, there was "seeding." Unscrupulous players could do things from putting trees and rocks in front of doorways to bricking the entire game.

I got bricked in WW once! My heart shattered that day. Did manage to unbrick it with an action replay but dang was my life ruined that day.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
Actually, I came to the party way too late regarding that, and now I read (a rumor?) that EA might be phasing that out. I would have loved to try it, because it would have been the most similar to what I might have liked. What WAS the problem with that, anyway? Was it just limited to the lot, and you couldn't venture off it? Could you not interact with any of the Sims? How did CC work in all this?

All that happened was a copy of your sim was temporarily moved into someone else's game, and your sim went off world for a while. You have no control of what your sim does in someone else's game, nor do they. But your sim will go to a performance lot and participate, if all works well.

For CC, the person you simport with has to have the CC used on your sim, or else it doesn't look good. I once simported the Sims 3 version of Sim Sample, and he had a store hair. The person I simported with sent me images of him in their world, and he had different hair, and different clothes too (maybe an EP or SP missing?). So it looked nothing like my sim! They said he just walked around the world for a while and then left without performing. So it sounds good, as you could have pictures of your sim performing in other people's game, but I never got it to work well in the few attempts I had. Of course, it could be that some mods affect things too- I discovered that using NRaas Story progression prevented the simport from happening at all- I have no idea if this is still the case, as this was many years ago and the game and mod are different now.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre

Eek. That must have happened after I left the AC series for the Sims series. I thought thieving trolls were bad ...

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#24 Old 26th Jul 2018 at 8:17 PM
just "no", imagine all these magnificent human beigns invade your gamespace to have some fun
btw the 2ndLife is still kicking, right?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"