Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 3:04 AM
Default Issues with the pond tool
So I understand super caw and in particular the pond tool is touchy. However after I save my pond disappears, I'll even check the scene statics tool/ viewer and I get a 0 under the number of ponds.
My CAW is up to date, my game is up to date, (both are 1.69) and I can post my computer specs if need be. The general list is i7 Intel processor, 16GB RAM, the OS is Windows 7 and my GPU is the Nvidia Geforce 970
Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:07 AM
Can you show a screenshot of the pond in situ? I noticed that if you have water planes too close to the edge of the map or clipped too much, the game can sometimes nullify them.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 3:33 PM
Oh! Okay than that is what is happening. I basically have one of the water planes over the edge of the map. Not sure about the lower one though. I'm assuming it is also just too close to the edge of the map. Approximately how close can you get to the edge of the map, with the pond tool?

Thanks!
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#4 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
Oh! Okay than that is what is happening. I basically have one of the water planes over the edge of the map. Not sure about the lower one though. I'm assuming it is also just too close to the edge of the map. Approximately how close can you get to the edge of the map, with the pond tool?

Thanks!

Can't you use the narrow river water object for such narrow canyons? It's much easier to handle. I don't remember what it's called though.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 9:19 PM
@ruffdog24
You have two water planes there, correct?

If so then perhaps what is happening is that the program is trying to clip the planes to fit the terrain, and failing. Here I have marked where I think your water planes are in red. You see that you have terrain cutting through the water planes in several directions, in some places going through the centre of the plane (blue lines).

The program seems to clip the planes from the middle out, as illustrated in this post:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...791#post3382791

So I think when the program tries to calculate where to clip your water planes, it gets confused and decides they should be removed altogether.

It may be that you will have to redesign your terrain, or else have more waterplanes (smaller rectangles maybe) instead of larger ones.
Screenshots
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 3:08 PM
With the upper level I'm unable to get anything to stick with the pond tool. Unless I have a ton of smaller water plans, which unfortunately have a weird clipping issue. So I like using Volvenom's idea of using the river object.
The lower level is unpredictable, in terms of over flow after a save.

I'd forgotten about the water plane generators! Last time I used them I struggled so much I kept re-using the terrain from my old world.
But that was a long time ago, and I'm a bit more familiar with coding ect.

Thanks!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 3:34 PM
Here's a tutorial for the water plane generators- use the SandrineD one.
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...999&postcount=7

The river object to me never looks right; but then, I always use custom water colours and lighting, so it looks out of place. The water planes/ pond tool take the colour of your ocean, but the geometry you are applying with your terrain sculpt needs to be changed to make this work.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 6:35 PM
You read my mind, it's been such a long time since I messed with the water plane generators, I was worried they wouldn't be working.

When I first found it in CAW the river object did look funny to me, I could never figure out why. Something about the texture that was used.
The colours and lighting are one thing I can't wait to mess with once I get my world more defined.