Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 11:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Will Sims 3 run properly on my new planned computer?
My computer won't handle Sims 3 too well, because it was made way back in 2007. Now, I'm planning to shop for a new computer, a notebook.
Will Sims 3 (on low or medium or even high graphics) run on this new notebook? Also, write down if it'll have some problems (like new video card etc.)

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 7200U (2,5 GHz)
RAM: DDR4 8 GB
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 920MX
VRAM: GDDR3 2 GB
HDD: 1 TB

So far, it seems it's cool.

Also, as I mentioned, if it'll run properly, write down which graphical option should I choose. Low, Medium, or High? Thank you!

Always mark an answer as helpful, if it helped you out, so people won't need to create another thread on the same topic.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:20 PM
The base game and probably the early EPs should run, not in the highest of resolutions nor on high graphics settings but it's going to depend on your definition of "properly" and whether you expect to be installing all EPs or not. The U-series processors are a bit weak, there are better choices, but that will potentially slow things down rather than stop the game from running. The weak spot is the graphics card, the 920MX is a very low-end card and not really strong enough for TS3. I would recommend a 960M or higher within that series, others will say that's overkill and a 950M would suffice. In the more recently released Nvidia series, certainly a 1050 mobile or higher would also be fine (they do now make lower end cards in the 1000 series, but I've never seen a computer come with one). Of course, the stronger graphics card in either series will drive the price up unfortunately.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:47 PM
Sounds pretty good, except for the graphics card. Get yourself a better graphics card and you should be all set. And I'd recommend looking into an SSD too, because you really can't do without an SSD nowadays. The highest settings should be doable too, but like @igazor said, be mindful of the expansions.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:06 PM
If you haven't bought it, wait a little further, I heard the 8th gen Intel Core will soon be release before the end of this year, the next 8th gen Core i5 will be the same like the current 7th gen of i7 with 4 Cores 8 Threads instead of just of 4 Cores and 4 Threads. As for the U series processors are not necessary weaker than the M series, that will be depend on what rank of each processor in the same i5 line up for example, the difference between the U vs the M (or QM) series are usually how the processor installed/mounted to the motherboard, the U series is permanently soldered to the motherboard while the M (or QM) series are not, the M or QM uses processor's socket just like in Desktop PC motherboard, therefore the M or QM processors are usually upgradeable to higher spec processor (as long as in the same platform/generation), while in U series that's not an option, and if something went wrong with the U series processor's motherboard, you'll need to replace it including the processor, so it's likely to cost you more if something went wrong with the motherboard. .
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 4:02 PM
Default Thanks!
Thanks for all of these very helpful answers. Really appreciate them. However, this is a pre-built laptop, so I can't really change it. I can tinker on desktop PCs, however, I don't really know too much about notebook architecture. Very unfortunate, as you said. I'll see what I get. And also, a great graphics card isn't that cheap. We really don't have too much budget.

To Igazor: My definition of "properly"... Well, technically ANYTHING after 10 years of suffering. I'll be incredibly careful with EPs and CC. I'll likely skip WA, Showtime, KPST, Diesel Stuff, Movie Stuff, because I really don't like those.
To Grijze: Well, I currently have an SSD, I'll likely put it into the laptop, if I can.
To PapaEmy: I don't currently know too much about the motherboard and it's architecture. I'd ask however, can I overclock the processor, without destroying it?

Always mark an answer as helpful, if it helped you out, so people won't need to create another thread on the same topic.
Instructor
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloSims324
To PapaEmy: I don't currently know too much about the motherboard and it's architecture. I'd ask however, can I overclock the processor, without destroying it?

I wouldn't recommend overclocking for notebook/laptop, unless you really have the built-in "extra proper" cooling for overclocking like the Asus ROG or Allienware laptops, but even so I still wouldn't recommend it, because when laptop's motherboard failed, most of the cases were because of overheating issues, especially the ones with Nvidia or Radeon dedicated gpu, you may accidently destroy your processor by overclocking it in PC because of lacking extra proper cooling, but for laptops's case, your motherboard are likely the one to get destroyed first, besides.. you also won't need overclocking for TS3 in particular, because most of its problematic like lags/freezes are from the game not because lack of hardware power/performance alone, the nature of the open world simulation in TS3 are the one that eventually will bottlenecking the CPU.

In terms of TS3, I would recommend to understand the game's native problems first before blaming on lacking of hardware performance, especially when EPs SPs Patches CCs and mods were added. Try to play TS3 BG alone without adding any of them (except for FPS Limiter to protect your gpu), when the world you're playing are getting more crowded and more complex, it is then TS3 is bottlenecking your CPU when it starting to lags/freezes no matter how powerful your processor is, so the bottom line is, you can't play TS3 forever without ending, you'll have to start over with a new one eventually, somehow.. somewhere.. even if you only have TS3 BG only
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:10 PM
One thing that REALLY worth noting: My Sims 3 on my old current computer only suffers in CPU and RAM problems, graphics are pretty crap too, but some minor glitches won't draw my attention. However, there are some major ones like glitchy pet body (completely disintegrates them), glitches with the Fairy Wing, and such.

As Papa said, Sims 3 has problems with it's nature in itself, like horrible, horrible optimization, Island Paradise and it's glitchy world, and Open-World.
While Sims 3 may have problems, I'd be interested in Sims 4, but I don't want to go too off-topic.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
I wouldn't recommend overclocking for notebook/laptop, unless you really have the built-in "extra proper" cooling for overclocking like the Asus ROG or Allienware laptops, but even so I still wouldn't recommend it, because when laptop's motherboard failed, most of the cases were because of overheating issues, especially the ones with Nvidia or Radeon dedicated gpu, you may accidently destroy your processor by overclocking it in PC because of lacking extra proper cooling, but for laptops's case, your motherboard are likely the one to get destroyed first, besides.. you also won't need overclocking for TS3 in particular, because most of its problematic like lags/freezes are from the game not because lack of hardware power/performance alone, the nature of the open world simulation in TS3 are the one that eventually will bottlenecking the CPU.

In terms of TS3, I would recommend to understand the game's native problems first before blaming on lacking of hardware performance, especially when EPs SPs Patches CCs and mods were added. Try to play TS3 BG alone without adding any of them (except for FPS Limiter to protect your gpu), when the world you're playing are getting more crowded and more complex, it is then TS3 is bottlenecking your CPU when it starting to lags/freezes no matter how powerful your processor is, so the bottom line is, you can't play TS3 forever without ending, you'll have to start over with a new one eventually, somehow.. somewhere.. even if you only have TS3 BG only

Oh, thanks for the lot of info. It's pretty rare to see such professional in such sites.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:31 PM
While Sims 3 may have problems, I'd be interested in Sims 4, but I don't want to go too off-topic.

I'd really stick with TS3 if I were you because it's the better game, plain and simple. It takes a little effort to set up correctly, but once you've done that you'd be mad to go with TS4 instead.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 3:28 PM
Okay, plans heavily changed. Now what I'll likely have, and everyone agrees with is:

Desktop PC:
Core Processing Unit: Intel Core i5-7500k 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz with overclocking)
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Dedicated Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti (Gainward) 4 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB HDD Space
SSD: 128 GB SSD Space
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Resolution: 1280x1024 60Hz

I think FPS Limiter will be highly necessary. Otherwise, as @Igazor said, it'd kill my GPU, and it's not cheap.
So, will this finally suffice? I really hope.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 5:08 PM
Sounds great to me. With the small SSD though, just so you are aware you will want to install the game on the HDD and redirect your Documents library to the HDD as well. You won't get the benefit of the game running off of the SSD this way, but it's not fatal. The small SSDs are really meant for Windows and system related programs, they cannot accommodate a game with up to 20 EP/SPs and all of the "important stuff" we tend to cram into its user game folder while still having enough free space for Windows to operate.

Yes absolutely on capping the frame rate, but if by "FPS Limiter" you mean the program by the same name from MATY note that it will not work on Patch 1.69. If this is the patch you will be on, meaning for an Origin controlled install, you can still achieve vertical sync and frame rate capping using the Nvidia Control Panel. Or, if things get stubborn on you, then Nvidia Inspector.
Instructor
#13 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 8:23 PM
This is toxic.. lol but since you mentioned it..

Okay, plans heavily changed. Now what I'll likely have, and everyone agrees with is:

Desktop PC:
Core Processing Unit: Intel Core i5-7500k 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz with overclocking)

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Okay.. since you're going heavy anyway.., for processor, I'd recommend Core i7 8700K or Core i5 8600K instead, PS: the 7th and 8th gen prices tags are close

As for OS, I'd say Windows 10 Home Single Language x64 or Pro x64, you don't need Enterprise for gaming, get the 10 Home SL so you'll have extra fund to get the i7 8700K instead of i5 7500K

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
This is a desktop right? Buy a monitor that is 1920x1080.

Umm.. that's not 4K, but at least three of 1920x1080 (5760x1080) with Nvidia surround setup screens would be nice
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
This is toxic.. lol but since you mentioned it..

None of you know what you are talking about, you all live in your Moms' basements with your 35 year old computers and 300-baud modems, you have no jobs, and you smell funny. There, that's all of the toxicity this thread requires out of the way in one sentence. Now we can return to posting more helpful things to the OP like how to purchase a $2,000 (USD) array of monitors that they don't need.

But seriously, I am impressed as to how civil this thread has remained when the question posed and answers it generates for some reason more typically trigger quite a different kind of conversation.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Nov 2017 at 5:54 AM
I was just taking what PapaEmy was saying about having three monitors on the desktop to emulate 5760x1080 in addition to the computer itself (not instead of) and exaggerating it. The $2,000 part wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Actually none of that post was, except for the part about how well mannered the responses have been.
Instructor
#17 Old 12th Nov 2017 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The $2,000 part wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

yep that's why I said this thing is toxic.. it's like a dope, if you go cheap you won't satisfy, if you go mild you want more, if you go all in.. there's no turning back

but the processor's comparison worth to be considered, I don't know if there's any K (unlocked for overclocking) version of the i5 7500 like the OP mentioned, or may be the OP was referring to i5 7600K instead, but here are the Core i5 7500 vs the Core i5 7600K vs the Core i5 8600K for comparison. If what the OP meant was the i5 7600K, that would be $242-$243 vs $257-$258 to i5 8600K, only add $15 more and the OP gets 6 cores processor instead of 4 cores processor, while the new i7 8700K comes with 6 cores with 12 threads processor with 12MB L3 Cache.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 4:59 PM Last edited by HelloSims324 : 3rd Dec 2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: information change
As for monitors, I don't give a crap about 4K. It's so unnecessary for me, full HD or standard HD is enough for me. I only have a 1280x1024 monitor, which came with the old PC from 2007. Welp, if I'm VERY lucky, maybe my brother will hand his 1920x1080 monitor to me, but this is very unlikely.

As for OS, I'll go with Pro x64. My friend bought me a Pro edition with Hungarian as language, which suits just well.

Well, as for GPU, probably I'll go with the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, but I also thought about the AMD Radeon RX 560, which costs less.

As for CPUs, I have no idea. The i9 is COMPLETELY out of range. That CPU just isn't worth that 1000-2000 dollars. The 8th gen i5 is very attractive, but very expensive. In our country, it costs about 380-390 dollars alone. Which is very pricey. I'd rather get a 7th gen i7 for that price. But, if I go with a 7th gen i5, then the entire rig costs:
625 USD.
But, if I get the much more affordable new i3-8100 CPU, (and bro told me that Sims 3 runs just fine with this great new CPU), then it costs:
573 USD.

So, what'd you suggest? A 7th gen i5 which is about 58 dollars more, or an 8th gen i3? My brother, who's an expert in these, told me that the latter is probably more worth it, as I get more for less moneh.