Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 10:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How to make the game recognize my dedicated AMD GPU? Dozens of threads everywhere, none cover my exact problem.
Hey guys,

I've been having terrible FPS (1 - 5 fps) most of the time while playing and areas load slow. When I first headed into the game's options, all settings were set to lowest. The only card the game seems to recognise is my integrated AMD Radeon HD 7660G, but I also run an AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB dedicated card.

I have googled my fingers off, but all I can find is people having trouble with fully new cards that are too new to be in the database and most dual graphics users have intel/nvidia, a few others have intel/AMD and I have AMD/AMD.

There are people saying I would need to edit the game's graphics card config files, but I have no idea what to do and if it would work for me. An additional problem with that is that the only tutorials I have seen about this cover putting your device config card number into the graphics card files, but the only card thats in my device config is the wrong, weak card. So this is not a solution for me.

Also, I went into the Radeon settings, preferences, extra settings (if it's called that in English, my UI is Dutch), Power Saving and I located TS3W.exe - it was set to 'not applied', so I switched it to High Performance, to hopefully force-run it with the good card, but no luck. I capped my FPS to 40 when trying that and when I went into the game the FPS in a faraway abandoned corner while zoomed out said 150. As soon as I start moving my camera or get close to any sims, or lots to load, it drops to unplayableness.

Can anyone help me out? I will also include a bit more needed information below, plus another part of this that could be related, but I'm not sure.

Laptop (yes, I know, laptops.... but I run seemingly heavier games with way fewer problems): MSI GX60
CPU: AMD A10-4600M
RAM: 8GB DDR3
SSD: NO
HDD: 7200rpm (750 GB, my game partition is 300GB)

Now the additional 'story': the thing is that not a single game LAUNCHER ever detects my dedicated card. I sometimes thought other games didnt use the proper card either, but if I look at what I can do with modded Skyrim, Black Desert Online and other such games, it's not specitacular, but they work. And I think my integrated card would never be able to handle what I often play, so I think that games may automatically switch to my dedicated card when needed.
Normally. I have asked this on several forums and even mailed AMD staff about it, but I never got a clear answer. If anyone knows about this, please do tell.

Also, I cannot update my dedicated card anymore because my integrated card is left unsupported by AMD. Every time I try to install a driver update since after the first version of Crimson Edition Drivers came out, it says my card is unsupported. I cannot simply uninstall my integrated card, though, I believe, so I'm a little stuck. NEVER AGAIN, THOSE DUAL GRAPHICS. Seriously I only ever had problems with this.

So what I'd like to know: how come NO LAUNCHER detects my dedicated card?
And how can I update the drivers for my dedicated card?
I know the card works, as I can set up profiles for it in Crimson. Also on some games I indeed cant go higher than 60 FPS, or whatever I set for a game, because I select that in the options and I can only do that with the dedicated card. Problem with TS3 is, usually I don't go above 10 fps and like I said before, only when I zoom out fully and go to a completely abanoded part of the town map,
I will go much higher. Then I even see 100-150 fps and figures like that... clearly, it's not respecting my newly set 40 fps cap then and that leads me to believe that indeed, it does not recognise the dedicated card.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have all EPs, no SPs.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DiaborMagics
The only card the game seems to recognise is my integrated AMD Radeon HD 7660G, but I also run an AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB dedicated card.

First.. make sure that both recognized by your Win OS, make sure that both registered in your Device Manager, post screenshot from your Device Manager and post it here.

Next step, move your TS3 Docs folder somewhere else temporary, and launch TS3 up until TS3 main menu and just exit so TS3 will regenerate new TS3 docs folder for you, inside your new TS3 docs folder, open DeviceConfig.log with Notepad, copy and paste the first 40 lines and post it here as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
First.. make sure that both recognized by your Win OS, make sure that both registered in your Device Manager, post screenshot from your Device Manager and post it here.

Next step, move your TS3 Docs folder somewhere else temporary, and launch TS3 up until TS3 main menu and just exit so TS3 will regenerate new TS3 docs folder for you, inside your new TS3 docs folder, open DeviceConfig.log with Notepad, copy and paste the first 40 lines and post it here as well.

Alright, https://imgur.com/a/Damxf

Done and...

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2296 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2661 RAM: 7637 Adjusted RAM: 7125 Cores: 4
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Family: 15
Model: 0
Cores: 4
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 7637MB
Free memory: 4659MB
User: ------- (removed my name)
Computer: MSI-------- (removed my name)
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 7660G
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7660G [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 9900, Board: 10da1462, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1429, GUID: D7B71EE2-DA40-11CF-4772-D030BEC2C535
Driver version: 1429
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Done.
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 7:59 AM
Alright, https://imgur.com/a/Damxf

Done and...

OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200

Ok, so you have Win 10 and both graphics are recognized by your OS:

I see that there's no gpus drivers problem there, so let's move on to TS3's side then;

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 7660G
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7660G [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 9900, Board: 10da1462, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1429, GUID: D7B71EE2-DA40-11CF-4772-D030BEC2C535
Driver version: 1429
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

I'm not really sure why your DeviceCondig shown the 7660G instead of the 7970M as the one being "[Found:0, Matched:1]", if you have already edited your GraphicsCards.sgr file, don't use that one but use the original unedited one from your backup, so next time you do test run your TS3, your next (or new) DeviceConfig will shown you as the 7970M as the one being "[Found:0, Matched:1]".

But if you haven't and didn't edited your GraphicsCards.sgr file yet, and that's the one being reported in your DeviceConfig, then you might have to look back at their configurations on Windows OS' side, how to make them switch automatically (or manually if there's no option) to your dedicated 7970M when any of your game is being launched.

I don't have much personal experiences in setting up dual switchable graphics gpus with AMD CPU and AMD graphics myself, but the concept on how they should work were not different from dual switchable graphics with Intel+Nvidia or Intel+AMD Radeon Graphics, so I think before you make any changes to the GraphicCards.sgr file, I think you better go here and here first to make sure that they switch automatically (or manually if there's no option) for general gaming (not only TS3) under Windows OS' side of perspective.

The thing is, with the current DeviceConfig, the "Device: 9900" is your Device ID that being used by TS3 to run the game reported in your DeviceConfig, I think it may not be your 7970M's Device ID, but I think 9900 is your 7660G's Device ID because the 7660G is the one being "[Found:0, Matched:1]", we can make this recognized by TS3 by editing the GraphicsCards.sgr but then you may not be playing your TS3 with your 7970M.

So I think before you edit your GraphicsCards.sgr so TS3 would run your 7970M, you need to know both of your Device IDs and make sure it switchable under Windows OS automatically or manually, you can check both of your Device IDs by going to;

1. Device Manager >> Display Adapter >> 7660G >> right click >> Properties >> and open the "Events" tab, and you'll see the 4 digits of your 7660G
2. Device Manager >> Display Adapter >> 7970M >> right click >> Properties >> and open the "Events" tab, and you'll see the 4 digits of your 7970M

Or you can do them by using this GPU-Z

So I think for now, it's better not to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr file yet, but get both of your Device IDs first and make sure that you can switch gpus automatically or manually on your Windows OS' side, so your next or new DeviceConfig will report that the 7970M's 4 digits Device ID is the one being identified, regardless whether the 7660G or 7970M is the one being identified or "[Found:0, Matched:1]".

Once you got them working/switchable under Windows OS' side, you can go here for complete step by step tutorial, and change one of the following;

Quote:
vendor "ATI" 0x1002
card 0x6798 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series"
card 0x6799 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series"
card 0x679a "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series"
card 0x6800 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series"

device ID with your 4 digits of 7970M Device ID in your GraphicCards.sgr file, and then let's see if you still have that "32MB Texture Memory Override" problem or not, but for now you need to make sure that they are switchable automatically or manually under Windows when any game is being launched.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 7:10 PM
Dearest PapaEmy, possible others,

Thanks for all the help and everything, but.. the problem was that my laptop was dying and it did die. That was last Tuesday and I just finished building my new, more powerful and hopefully more durable desktop PC! So, I'm going to reinstall The Sims and then check if I still have problems.
To be specific, my Hard Drive died in my laptop, possibly other components, but I did not exactly check. It was run-down too much in the end anyway... so opted for a new, more powerful machine. Here's hoping for the best and thanks again! :D