Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 7:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Luis Aspir seems to be corrupted
I am running Windows 7 and I have all expansions and stuff packs. A while back, I donwloaded TwoFlower's Aspir house makeover. I evicted the Aspir family to the Sim bin, deleted the original house, and placed the makeover version. I moved the family back in, and it loaded fine. I didn't play the house any further. The neighborhood has remained fairly untouched since then. I evicted several other families and moved them into makeover houses or new houses. I have not played the neighborhood other than to get everyone situated into new homes, and that's how the neighborhood has remained for many years.

Today I loaded the neighborhood and tried to load the Aspir house, only to have it crash the game. I restarted the game and loaded every other family. All other families load without a problem. I evicted the Aspir family and loaded the empty house without a problem. I tried to move the Aspir family onto an empty lot. They crashed the game. I created a new Sim to move into the Aspir house to be a love interest for Luis. Using the Tombstone of L&D, I began to add the Aspir family back into the house one by one. All the family members can join the new Sim in their house, except for Luis. When I try to add Luis, the game crashes.

I have run Hood Checker and get the following warning: Sim has no character file. There are twenty different Sim ID's listed. As of this post, all families load fine, all of the Aspir family is in the TwoFlower's makeover house with the new Sim, EXCEPT FOR Luis. I'm sure I could now play the neighborhood with no problems, if I am content to let Luis languish in the Sim bin alone. However, I would really prefer to fix the problem and move him in. I'm running SimPE at the moment to check these twenty Sim IDs against my CC. Beyond that, how am I able to fix Luis' character file?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 9:52 PM
If you downloaded and installed an occupied house you corrupted your entire hood. Never download occupied houses be that with sims, pets or graves. Luis will be only one problem. I would suggest switching out to a backup. Or if you don't have one make one now, mop up as you have done, remove sim references from the house, kill off the sim and keep playing as long as you can.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 1:28 AM
The house wasn't occupied by a family. It may have been playtested with her Aspir family but they weren't packaged with it. I use Clean Installer as well. She did, however, have a remote control car and helicopter on the lot. Is there something I can do in SimPE to fix poor Luis?

Edited to add: Thank you for your quick response!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:01 AM
Play testing the actual uploaded file leaves lots of sim references. You need to clean the lot of all the sim references that came from her game into yours in simPE. I have a short tutorial I wrote up for someone uploading here.

Copy paste it here:

What I do is open the lot in simpe. So open SimPE and go up to Tools >package Tools> Open sims2 pack. Having the pack on the desktop makes it easy. That will open a window, just click open.

Look to the list on the left and scroll it down. You will see things such as sims scores, sim relations etc. Click on each one in turn and highlight all of them over in the right column. I click in the blank space and do CTL A to highlight them all. Then I right click the highlighted part and select delete. You will see all those files now has a line through them like this Once they are all done go up to save, you will only have Save As, as an option.

Go to your desktop and you will find that SimPE file that you just saved with whatever name you saved it as. That is your new clean lot.

What I do next is go to documents, the sims 2. In there you will find the Lot catalog. Now there is probably more than one way to do this. I simply make a new folder and put all those lot files into it. Then I grab that cleaned lot file, paste it in the lot catalogue folder so it’s the only one and rename it Cx_00000001.package
Run your game and go to the new test hood. If you have lots of cc, it's best to not only have a test hood but also a test game. It's very easy to rename your sims 2 folder and force the game to make you another. Because there is no cc in the new one it will load super fast. So in your test game open that test hood and you should find it’s the only lot in the lot bin. When you grab it you will see it has some ridiculous low price tag, that is your nod that the lot is now cleaned. Now don't worry everything is still there and once you place the lot its price will show up like it should.

Now that you have your cleaned lot placed down, load it up and move one thing. Could be a chair, then place it back. Now save and go to hood view. Your lot is now cleaned and ready to be packaged.

I hope that helps and everything is clear.

This will not help the sim though, but will help that lot and the hood. Did you use remove when you ran hood checker? How does the sim look in simPE?

PS. I added to that tutorial a little on my journal here. It's under my profile.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 3:35 AM
I went ahead and cleaned up the lot and moved the Aspir family into it per your tutorial, which was a huge help. Good knowledge for me to have in the future. I did click on Remove in HoodChecker, and the next page shows "Sim has no character file" as before, twenty instances. Using SimPE, I've opened my neighborhood file, gone to Sim Description, and found Luis, He looks OKAY but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for. Under Sim Description, there are twenty-five Unknown characters. Without going through all twenty-five, it looks like the Sims mentioned in HoodChecker are among them.

Thanks again for all your help.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 4:05 AM
If Luis is unplayable you could extract his likeness and make a clone setting him up to be the same and then kill off the original. Corruption shows in the sim's memories or inventory.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#7 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:49 PM
The remote control car and helicopter were probably causing the problems.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 6:08 PM
I had this issue too! For me, the problem disappeared after I did the 50/50 method on my CC. There was a file (which unfortunately was gibberish, because apparently it was installed before I learned to use Clean Installer instead of BodyShop Installer, waaaay back in my earliest days of Simming, so I can't tell you what it was) that was causing it. Why it only caused Luis to crash, I don't know, but ever since I removed it, I've had no more issues.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:44 PM
Oh sheesh, somebody spank me! He's working now. I removed a file with a nonsense filename. Opened it in SimPE and it looks like some kind of mesh directory. Luis loads fine now and he's back with his family. Why would a file affect only one Sim? So weird.

Thanks to everyone for the help. That lot cleaning tutorial is getting saved to my laptop, and all the fiddling in SimPE made me a little more comfortable using it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 9:48 PM
Well being comfortable in SimPE is certainly a good simming goal. CC can become corrupted, perhaps it was only on him. It's been a good thing since it led to cleaning out those foreign (to your hood) sim references.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sarahleigh81
Why would a file affect only one Sim? So weird.

Maybe it was a default replacement of something only he was wearing?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 10:34 PM
That's what I would think. To be fair, in a game where using ivy trellises in your landscaping can make Sims spontaneously combust, nothing is really surprising.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 9:59 AM
I have wondered about this before. Denise Jacquet was weird in my one hood. She could be played, but when she showed up on community lots, playables could not interact with her at all. She would walk up to the public phone and then sort of start swaying there. All other sims went in and out of the lot without any problems.

There was no cc on Denise except for my normal default skin and eyes. I removed my latest cc and it seemed to be solved since. (I can't remember what it was, to be honest). But I think affecting one sim is perhaps not the whole story - maybe Louis (like Denise in my game) may only have been the first sim and the others would have started showing the same signs later.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 5:32 PM
Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 6:18 PM
They can cause fire for no reason at all, I believe, and I think the problem was never patched.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Using ivy trellises can make your sims spontaneously combust? How does it do that?

I had this happen in my game quite some years back, and how it was explained to me (which might not be 100% accurate) was that the ivy trellis gets struck by lightning and somehow spawns an invisible fire that can't be put out by the rain and it keeps burning invisibly for quite some time until a sim happens to wander by and get caught on fire by the invisible fire. I had a sim child come home from school one day and suddenly start combusting in the bathroom (which of course was no where near the ivy trellis and also a room with no fire alarm). I had another sim child combust when putting something in the compost bin. Apparently both were caused by the sim having recently walked past that ivy trellis which was near the front door.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 9:19 PM
The ivy trellis is actually my go-to story when I'm talking to non-Simmers about how weird this game is.

@Justpetro - I've seen a similar problem happen when a Sim loses their aspiration - you can tell this by making the Sim selectable and checking to see if the aspiration icon is there. Any attempts at socializing with other Sims error out because the game engine is unable to calculate the attraction score. As far as I can tell, it's not corruption (though it might be a sign of corruption), and is easily fixed by changing the aspiration with something - either InSim/Blender/Manipulator or the big orb thingy.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Theorist
#18 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 12:46 AM
Sounds like a case of poison ivy gone bad. (:

Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 1:43 AM
Funny enough, urushiol (the stuff in poison ivy that causes the itchiness) isn't flammable. If you try to burn poison ivy it'd just turn into fumes and make you sick.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 10:47 AM
I never knew about the ivy until recently - and never felt like using it in any garden before or afterwards
Theorist
#21 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:21 PM
Poison Ivy was called the 7 year itch when I was a kid, meaning if you got it 7 years in a row you never got it again. Maybe an old wives tale, since I got it at least twice a year for 11 years, spring and fall. Supposedly those very sensitive to it could break out from people burning their leaves, if the ivy plant was also there, from pets who roamed around areas where it grew and possible off shoes if a person walked in it. Burning leaves was allowed back then, no leash laws since we lived in the country so who knows how I got it. The last time I ended up in the hospital for 7-8 days because it was so serious but I never got it again.

Which ivy in the game caused problems, the trellis one or the one you put on house walls? (:

Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 4:44 PM
The trellis ivy tree one.