Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 4:07 AM
Default My sim won't die!!
So I started my first legacy family (I've been playing for years, but I always get bored with a family and start a new one). Anyways, the kids grew up and moved out and one got married. I decided to move the married couple back into the parents house so they can be well off when the parent sims pass on. The mother dies of old age and the father cheats death. Annoying.

I tried killing him with Rodney's Death Creator. Cheats death again. I tried over and over and over again. I did everything.

I probably killed him about 12 times and every single time, the grim reaper comes and he begs for mercy and he stays alive. It's really getting annoying. I did some research and I wished for long life from the genie. I should have figured. But I read that after a while I wouldn't be able to cheat death anymore, apparently, that isn't the case.

I even went as far as deleting the grim reaper when he showed up which worked fine until I tried to save my game and saving was not an option for some reason (don't know if relevant but I've never deleted anyone before and I've never had that problem).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 5:17 AM
The Grim reaper always disable the save option when he appears to take a sim away. It gets really annoying when you kill all the sims and the game kinda bugs out and you can't exit and save sometimes because for some reason it is still disabled, and since all sims are dead you are in the build section.

Not sure what you should do, I guess just keep on trying to kill him until he dies. If he has the option to mediate then get him to do that in a room all on his own, motives won't go down so you don't need to worry about him until he dies for real of old age. Unless you are planning to have a full house
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 9:05 AM
Try drowning him. I don't know if it works, but I recall seeing somewhere that Grimmy cannot be bargained with over water.
Inventor
#4 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 2:29 PM
This thread reminds me why I love this game so much. Only here could you encourage someone to kill someone by drowning.

kittens!
Inventor
#5 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 2:33 PM
Maybe you could try using the Elixer of Life when his aspiration is green or lower. If you do that, it takes away a bit of your sim's life/time; since it sounds like the "long life" wish gave your sim too much extra time, maybe this will counter-act it?
You could also try the cowplant if you have University, I don't think that there is a "plead for death" option on there either, since it seems to destroy your sim's physical body, plus there's the whole "drink sim" option thing for the other members of the house--maybe causing a method of death which gives your sim's days to another (like the cowplant essentially does) neutalizes the pleading option (this is just speculation here, btw).
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 4:14 PM
There are some cheats enabling saving when it shouldn't be possible. I know Insimenator has this option (but it's unsupported, etc.), and I saw somewhere a remote enabling saving.
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
The Grim reaper always disable the save option when he appears to take a sim away. It gets really annoying when you kill all the sims and the game kinda bugs out and you can't exit and save sometimes because for some reason it is still disabled, and since all sims are dead you are in the build section.

The reason save doesn't come up as soon as the sims die is because the Reaper sticks around the lot for a little while. Just speed up the timer until the lot is empty.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 2:20 AM
When you say you've killed him 12 times, do you mean 12 times in a row? Or kill him, quit without saving, and try again? Because the cheat death wish works 100% of the time the first time, 90% the second time, 80% the third and so on. It shouldn't work 12 times in a row. If it is, you may have duplicate tokens which is giving him extra chances and it's possible the game won't delete the extra tokens correctly. I discovered that when making my mod to fix the wish for beauty.

You say you wished for long life - that just gives 4 more days in the age range. That's not the same as wishing for the ability to cheat death.

anotherjayna is right about the cowplant. It bypasses the usual Kill Sim routine so Grim does not appear and the cheat death wish is not checked. That is another option if you can get access to one.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 2:24 AM
katalina- No it's not that, sometimes when the last sim in my house dies he does come, does his usual rountine and disappears, however the live mode is grayed out and I am in the build or exit mode, however the save button is grayed out too.

So then I have to reenter the house and kill the last sim again for it to let me save
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyjon
When you say you've killed him 12 times, do you mean 12 times in a row? Or kill him, quit without saving, and try again? Because the cheat death wish works 100% of the time the first time, 90% the second time, 80% the third and so on. It shouldn't work 12 times in a row. If it is, you may have duplicate tokens which is giving him extra chances and it's possible the game won't delete the extra tokens correctly. I discovered that when making my mod to fix the wish for beauty.

You say you wished for long life - that just gives 4 more days in the age range. That's not the same as wishing for the ability to cheat death.

anotherjayna is right about the cowplant. It bypasses the usual Kill Sim routine so Grim does not appear and the cheat death wish is not checked. That is another option if you can get access to one.

Whenever I wish for long life, it makes my sim at the low end of whatever range (like adults will have 29 days left) and then they never age. I have to just kill them off eventually.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 8:33 PM Last edited by A.G.Doren : 15th Oct 2010 at 8:35 PM. Reason: More info added
As far as I know even with the wish for a long life the sim should eventually die. How many actual sim days have passed since the sim cheated death the first time? How many times did the sim cheat death where you saved and continued game play?

If your sim just keeps cheating death, your game may be stuck in some way and you might want to try some methods for lot debugging.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 7:26 PM
Yeah, I tried killing him 12 times in a row. That makes sense about me not being able to save though. I read that the grim reaper doesn't come if they drown but for some reason he did, so that's why I deleted him. How do I get my sim to be eaten by the cowplant? I know I tried this but something happened and it didn't work. I'll try it again though.
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 7:14 PM
I had the exact same problem! I was making a series and the characters were just all wrong so i had to kill them off. I don't recommend using the kill mode with BoolProp testingcheatsenabled because the grim reaper either will not leave the house or will leave and disable the save button. Fast forward your game without taking care of your sims. Eventually the sims will die and a message will pop up on your screen from the grim reaper saying stuff like the goal of this game was not to kill of your sims bla bla bla. your grim reaper is probably gonna use the bathroom and leave or something. The save button will be enabled when he is gone. If you yous BoolProp testingcheatsenabled to delete him the save game button will not be enabled until you leave the lot and come back to your sims alive and well. Sorry but i don't know how to kill just one sims and save the game :/ I hoped this helped somehow though!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 7:45 PM
Nothing quite like the Sims to bring out our inner psychopaths; my folks can hear me down stairs "Just die already." I saw, they know I am playing the Sims. I am not sure if someone else recommended it but make him pee by dragging down his bladder bar and have him fix a broken electrical object above it.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 8:50 PM
Sounds like you have some bug going on.
Tried fire? The sim is reduced to ashes, so that might be a way. Hunger might help, too. Activate testingcheat and drag the hunger bar all the way down.
Instructor
#16 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 8:56 PM
If you have University you could try using a Cowplant (there are cheats/hacks to get the reward if you don't have access to it normally), that apparently bypasses the reaper entirely.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 9:57 PM
Occasionally, I'll have a Sim that just won't leave this Simly realm. I think they were ill-gotten Sims, meaning I used a teleporter to make them part of my playable family and it just wasn't right somehow. The remedy was to make that Sim a townie and move him in again and then he can finish his Simly days!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 10:07 PM
Yea, I've had the same prob when let them wish for "defeat grim reaper". Die already! I have a buyable cow plant; it's BETTER, as you can direct any sim to use it.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vicki_gerner
Yeah, I tried killing him 12 times in a row. That makes sense about me not being able to save though. I read that the grim reaper doesn't come if they drown but for some reason he did, so that's why I deleted him. How do I get my sim to be eaten by the cowplant? I know I tried this but something happened and it didn't work. I'll try it again though.

Wait a while (don't have anyone feed it) until the cowplant puts out a cake slice, then direct the sim to "grab cake." Should work, unless the sim is smelly.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrBlack
Wait a while (don't have anyone feed it) until the cowplant puts out a cake slice, then direct the sim to "grab cake." Should work, unless the sim is smelly.

I would hope after two years, the OP had figured out how to kill that damn sim already
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 3:12 AM
Do not let my Sims die ever.
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 4:02 AM
I had this issue with Brittany Parker in Pleasantview. After wishing on the genie she cheated death four times, which was great for her knowledge wishes, but not so great for her grandchildren/relatives who became inconsolable for a bit after. Eventually I had to use testingcheatsenabled to set it to her birthday/last day, and that finally worked. Good luck!

oh haha, just saw the original date of this post. welp. hopefully this isn't an issue anymore.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 4:17 AM
Ha ha! I hadn't even noticed the date. Funny how some threads get necro-ed so easily without notice. How do people find them, anyway? Internet search?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#24 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 7:10 AM
yeah, I've found all kinds of threads from like 2009 while looking for mods/bugfixes etc.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 7:46 AM
Google search actually brings up better results for this forum than the forum search lol.

I now am imagining that the sim is still alive after two years and still cheating death. XD
Page 1 of 3