Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 4:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Showtime, Seasons, Island Paradise
Default Strong Computer, horrible lag.
Alright, I've read up on a couple issues before on this on multiple websites but I'm not sure if I can find what I'm looking for. So I want to try asking for help here and see if it can be solved.

I have no CC, even if I did, it does it regardless whether or not.

So currently I've been having a lot of issues with the Sims 3 frame rate whenever I play, especially when I rotate the camera. (Mouse wheel rotation)
Everything goes fine with the frame rate when I don't rotate camera and just view at one angle; but when rotating, the screen starts to stutter and camera will slow down, making it hard to rotate. Then sometimes the camera with rotate like crazy.
I can't change views without some form of lag, making the game really unbearable to play.

I've turned on Vsync and Triple Buffering and I still get these issues, I've also tried playing with all lot details down to 1.

Also I have everything on the STEAM version

I really love this game and I would love to continue playing it.

Here is some information:
Windows 10
GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 15.87
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Hz
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Why not read up on this forum too? You might find what you're looking for or at the very least what information is useful to us to help you.

Let's start with the deviceconfig log file.

Here, I can't find a spoiler function on this website to condense it without slapping text on the forum but here it is.

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2592 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3056 RAM: 16255 Adjusted RAM: 15743 Cores: 4
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Family: 6
Model: 14
Cores: 4
HT: 1
x64: 0
Memory: 16255MB
Free memory: 8696MB
User: goyan
Computer: DESKTOP-HADSBHB
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1ba1, Board: 07761028, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 21.21.13.6926, GUID: D7B71E3E-58E1-11CF-9668-7B271BC2D835
Driver version: 6926
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 3
GeneralReflections 3
TextureQuality 3
VisualEffects 3
TerrainQuality 2
EdgeSmoothing 3
ObjectHiding 0
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 4
TreeQuality 4
DrawDistance 3
MaxActiveLots 8
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 1
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 7:02 PM
Okay, first off, there are a few mods that are going to be NECESSARY if you want to be playing the game. I know that sounds like a bit of a pain, but it's not. The game engine is VERY badly optimized, and you will need these mods to patch the leaking holes in this metaphorical sinking boat. If you don't install them now, it's only going to get worse, and it'll probably mess up your game data as well. It doesn't matter how good your PC is, or how you play, you're going to have trouble without them.

This tutorial mentions the most important two, Overwatch and MasterController. The rest are optional. You might want to get ErrorTrap though; I hear it prevents crashes (like the name kind of implies). Not that I'd know; I've never NOT used these mods.

So in terms of the sinking boat thing, with these mods you'll no longer sink and drown, but there will still be a shallow pool of water in the boat, and you're never going to get it completely dry.
Your best bet is to deal with it and be happy that you still have a boat.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#5 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DerpyArtistNeko
User: goyan
Computer: DESKTOP-HADSBHB
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 21.21.13.6926, GUID: D7B71E3E-58E1-11CF-9668-7B271BC2D835

Ok before dealing with lags/freezes problems, you need to do this first steps, it may not solves the lags/freezes issues (tho it reduces the lags/freezes), but it is essential to protect your graphics device from damage;

1. Install FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector to cap TS3 FPS to 30 or 60 FPS max, this is to protect your GTX 1070 from damage.
2. You need to make TS3 recognizes your GTX1070, go here for full step by step tutorial.
3. Your Device ID is 1ba1.
4. For your GTX 1070, use this >> card 0x06cd "GeForce GTX 470" from the GraphicCards.sgr
5. Replace 06cd with 1ba1; >> card 0x06cd "GeForce GTX 470" >> card 0x1ba1 "GeForce GTX 470"
6. Only replace the (GTX470) 4 digits ID with your GTX1070 ID, don't change anything else nor add anything else.

Then your new DeviceConfig will look like this:

Quote:
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]

Means TS3 will now run your GTX1070 as the actual card but with GTX470 threshold profile.

7. Follow the rest of the tutorial if you need to. Only edit GraphicRules.sgr if you still have 32MB Texture Override in your new DeviceConfig.
8. As for the lags/freezes, (for now) try not to start your game from Island Paradise world, we can go to this subject, when you done this first steps and have FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector protecting your gpu.

PS: You also may need to free up your RAM usage, your Win 10 may run too many things you don't need in the background. Let's see how this first steps would improves your gaming experience for now.
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 7:23 PM
Also you might want to fix these issues:

Quote:

Instructions here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 8:54 PM
Alright so I tried fixing the matching first.
I edited the lines and here is what I got

GraphicsCards.srg
vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de
card 0x1ba1 "GeForce GTX 1070"

Graphics rules
if (match("${cardVendor}", "NVIDIA"))
if(match("${cardName}", "* 1?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* 2?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* G1?0M*") or match("${cardName}", "* G2?0M*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*8800*") or match("${cardName}", "*9500*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GSO*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GT*") or match("${cardName}", "*9800 *") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*2?00M*") or match("${cardName}", "*3?00M*") or match("${cardName}", "*Quadro*FX 5??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 1?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 150*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 250*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GeForce G2??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GeForce 3??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 4??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTS 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 5??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GT 6??*") or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 6??*")) or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 10?0*"))

and

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 1024
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Now the game won't open and the deviceconfig is empty
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 10:34 PM
This is really going about it the hard way. But, if we must...

Try removing one of the two closing parentheses that appear right before, to the left of, your added, in bold text above. The extra ")" would make the entire statement (paragraph) invalid.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 10:54 PM
Alright, now I'm getting a

GeForce GTX 1070 [Found: 1, Matched: 0]
in my deviceconfig
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 4:14 PM Last edited by DerpyArtistNeko : 17th Jun 2017 at 4:29 PM.
EDIT: I HAVE GOT THEM BOTH TO MATCH AND RECOGNIZE. Alright, I'll head on to the next steps and let you guys know if there is any problem! Thank you so much for everything

So does the match come from the Graphicsrules file? So is my entry of

or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 10?0*")

correct? I've even tried GTX 10??* and I get the same results

Because what happens is that I get a no card driver found message, and I have multiple freezes and I have to refresh the window to get out of them.

Should I continue with this method or try something else?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 1:37 AM
Alright, so with everything being done. Cards being recognized and installed Nraas and overwatch, I'm still experiencing these issues. Not as bad though, any suggestions?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 2:05 AM
Alright, so with everything being done. Cards being recognized and installed Nraas and overwatch, I'm still experiencing these issues. Not as bad though, any suggestions?

Have you verified in-game that your fps rate is really being capped even though you set it up to be?

In-game, ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console and fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed fps rate should never wander far above the refresh rate of your monitor, which is usually 60 Hz so 60 fps; some monitors can run higher. If the fps rate is still running wild, as it would tend to do on your card, then that's got to be at least part of the problem. To turn the in-game display off, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

Note that the Nvidia Control Panel method is only intended to work in full screen mode. Other third party products like Nvidia Inspector, MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS) will work in full screen and windowed mode.
Site Helper
#13 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 2:13 AM
Have you also run Dashboard to make sure that you don't have a Sims 2 or Sims 4 file in your Mods/Packages folder? The game lags quite a bit while it's trying and failing to understand this thing that it thinks it should be able to read.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Have you verified in-game that your fps rate is really being capped even though you set it up to be?

In-game, ctrl+shift+C to bring up the cheats console and fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed fps rate should never wander far above the refresh rate of your monitor, which is usually 60 Hz so 60 fps; some monitors can run higher. If the fps rate is still running wild, as it would tend to do on your card, then that's got to be at least part of the problem. To turn the in-game display off, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

Note that the Nvidia Control Panel method is only intended to work in full screen mode. Other third party products like Nvidia Inspector, MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS) will work in full screen and windowed mode.

I have had set these settings and I still experience frame drops and a sliding camera. It mostly happens in build/buy mode.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 5:16 AM
I have had set these settings and I still experience frame drops and a sliding camera. It mostly happens in build/buy mode.

I asked if you verified the frame rates you were actually getting in-game were staying below the intended cap and tried to explain how to verify. Sorry for any misunderstanding, but this doesn't really answer the question completely. Sometimes the Nvidia Control Panel's settings just don't take hold.

And yes, as Nitromon asked, have you rechecked your DeviceConfig.log to verify that you have fixed the 32 MB texture memory override.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 7:24 AM
Ah yes, sorry I should of been clearer. Yes, I had capped the frames at 60 and checked in the sims with the fps cheat.

Here is my DeviceLog
Name (database): GeForce GTX 470 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY4
Texture memory: 1024MB

Still getting these lag problems when rotating the camera after a while in build/buy mode. Switching between live mode and build/buy mode seem to undo the lag but it just starts up again.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 7:37 AM
Well, that sounds...annoying. But the game functions well other than that? Let's see what the others say, but there may not be a solution for what you have described if it's now limited to Build/Buy other than checking for malformed or unsuitable (for TS3, at your patch level) content as @Ghost sdoj described above.
Instructor
#19 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 12:41 PM

Have you free up your RAM usage? Your W10 is using about 50% of your 16 GB RAM.

Still getting these lag problems when rotating the camera after a while in build/buy mode. Switching between live mode and build/buy mode seem to undo the lag but it just starts up again.

For this, first you need to free up your RAM as I mentioned above, and then try to run your TS3 without any old save game, store content, CCs and or Mods, test your game with a new game and just go to build/buy mode after you freed up some space in your ram usage.

To clear up your ram;

1. Go to Settings >> Privacy >> Feedback and Diagnostic>> disabled feedback and just use basic data that you send to Microsoft.
2. Go to Settings >> Privacy >> Background apps >> turn off all apps that don't need to run in the background
3. Restart your computer

To test run your TS3;

1. Move your TS3 Docs folder to somewhere else temporary.
2. Run TS3 up to TS3 main menu then just exit, this will trigger TS3 to regenerate TS3 docs folder, and then go to your old TS3 Docs and copy Options.ini and paste it to your new TS3 Docs folder.
3. Now test run your TS3 with starting new game, pickup a house and go to build/buy mode, and see if the game runs smoother or the same.

I think that's it for now, and let's see how it goes from here.

PS: (Edited), you may also need to disabled W10 to spying on you to free up some more RAM, go here and open "Other Windows 10 Tips" to disabled anything you don't need to run in the background. Turn on your WiFi setup as "metered connection ON" if you have to, so Win 10 won't be busy by itself in the background. To turn on your metered connection go to Win 10 Settings >> Network & Internet >> Wifi >> Manage Known Network >> Properties.
Instructor
#21 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
... it takes me 1GB of RAM on Chrome to watch a simple youtube video. Damn engineers are so lazy these days, probably lots of useless RAM usage.

Well if you stream on youtube, that depends on how big and what video quality you're viewing affecting the RAM usages, you don't really have to worry about that as it's only temporary, that's no big deal with 16GB ram, but the thing you need to clean up is the temp files, using Windows Disk Clean Up will fix them, but not all, therefore somewhere before I mentioned to clean up the temp folder located in C:\Users\<usename>\AppData\Local\Temp\... , not all temporary files there will be deleted by Windows Disk Clean Up, it has to be done manually, this why you'll see somehow your C drive is keep shrinking in time. The problem is that AppData folder by default is hidden by Win OS, and that's different (or separated to be precise) from Windows paging file system, and this why I'm still saving money to build my new rig with at least 32GB or 64GB RAM depends on what motherboard what I'm going to get, so I can navigate and relocate that hidden "Temp" folder to RAMDisk so I can also saves my SSD being excessively written.

As for the OP, I think he/she got too many programs installed that running in the background, that's why I asked to free up some space, so when the OP is gaming whether it's TS3 or something else, the RAM space wouldn't be so tight, there's no advantage having 16B ram if too many programs running in the background whether it's Win 10 or 8 or 7 or even XP (all 64bit) the programs running in the background will just suck up the RAM space, the more RAM the users have, the more Windows just dumped them there
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:22 PM
So thanks to everybody, I believe TS3 is working at least decently now due to the advice and help that you all have given me. I can now build/buy in TS3 without wanting to close the game. The camera moves to my control now, not lagging and jittering.

To sum up what I did to fix my issues for the results I have currently is that I:
Made TS3 recognize my Graphics Card
Put the Memory Usage up to 2048MB
Installed Nraas Mastercontroller and Overwatch
Downloaded Nvidia Inspector and set a FPS cap around 60.
And also importantly turned off unnecessary background programs on Windows 10.

(If anyone one of you all recommend anything else, let me know!)

I mean once and a while I will get a frame drop in live mode but it's still REALLY playable, not causing issues.
Hopefully everything goes well after I continue player a bit more for the next couple days. I'll let you guys know if I experience more issues later on in the future.

Thanks so much for helping me!
Muchas gracias por ayudarme!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 11:00 PM
(If anyone one of you all recommend anything else, let me know!).

Happy to see you got everything under control. There are lots of suggestions and options to manage and keep your game healthy. Might come in handy going forward: Tips For Better Game Performance
Mad Poster
#25 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:41 PM
Put the Memory Usage up to 2048MB

Try 4096. TS3 will go up to 3192 without crashing, so you're still limiting it as-is.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Page 1 of 2