Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:00 PM
Default Quick Wall Question
Very quick question to help me make up my mind about these walls. I'm making (yet another) a wall set and I'd like some advice on the texture. There are two versions shown below. It's the bottom of the wall I'm concerned about. I would like opinions. Do you prefer the completely plain version (which is what I think I am inclined to like myself) or do you think the version with added texturing is better? I really can't work out what to do and hearing what others think might help me decide. Thanks.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:22 PM
Lovely color scheme I would prefer the plain version, because the texture you've used on the textured version is quite repeaty, if that makes sense. Maybe it would help if you smooth/blur it out a little? Out of curiosity, did you check how the top moulding looks with ceilings?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:13 PM Last edited by maxon : 18th Oct 2014 at 5:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Klaartje
Lovely color scheme I would prefer the plain version, because the texture you've used on the textured version is quite repeaty, if that makes sense. Maybe it would help if you smooth/blur it out a little? Out of curiosity, did you check how the top moulding looks with ceilings?

Yes, the moulding is dropped a little to try to get it to sit under a ceiling though I think it needs adjusting again. Thanks for the feedback.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 1:15 PM
Yeah, ceilings will eat that top molding. I usually prefer textured walls but Klaartje's right about that texture looking repeaty (I'm totally stealing that word!).
edit: If it helps, the molding I use the most is 95 pixels in height. It sits under ceilings well.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 9:59 PM
When you say 95 pixels, @mustluvcatz, do you mean in the expanded version of the wall (256x768) you do your work on or the shortened version you actually use to make the wall in Homecrafter (256x512)?

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 10:22 PM
@maxon Ahhhh, oh boy. Where is my brain lately? Yeah, that 95 pixels was gotten from my template for TS4 walls. Ahem. So- I checked one of my TS2 walls and got 40 pixels- and that's at the 256x512 height. I always put my moldings/panels/whatever in the 256x512 template I make and work on the actual wallpaper part in a 256x768 template.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:10 AM
Thanks - really helpful. 40 pixels in 256x512 - got it.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 12:17 PM
I should really rename this thread 'maxon's farting about with textures - what do you think?'

Another quick question though. I've been making some Eastern panel walls (using images off the net) - couple of illustrations below. A project I was thinking of after I finish Polgannon is building some BV hidden lots for people to DL and use in custom hoods. What I want to ask here is do you think it would be a good thing to add some matching shoji walls to these if I want to upload them as a separate thing? There are shoji walls already in game but I have used custom wood textures here and they won't match obviously. I was thinking that doesn't matter too much as the panels would probably be used on a single wall section but I could put together some matching walls for them. Would you prefer this or would you prefer to avoid file bloat? Or would you prefer it if I used the original EAxis framing stuff (crown and skirting) from the existing walls? I'm not sure I'd like that for the Red wall since I like the dark wood colour there and there is nothing quite like that that is not custom. The other walls, I'm fine with using the lighter wood texture from EAxis.

As for the first walls I talked about here. I have finished them though not uploaded yet as they are only a set of five (which I think are too few for an upload) and I was thinking of combining them with something else - maybe matching/blending curtains or rugs or possible floors. But that is also going to have to wait till after I finish Polgannon too. I am quite pleased with them though.
Screenshots