Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 11:41 AM
Default New power pc
I've never really had a powerful computer. Now I can afford to buy one. I want to buy it from Komplett.no , and I want to build it myself. I was looking at graphic cards around 4-5000. I was suggested one from Komplett that is gone now, but it was basically the same one I already have just from MSI and more expensive. The box is down in the basement. It was GTX970 or something, I bought if for about a 1000 then, suggested from here on mts. I was thinking I could have perhaps 2 monitors so I can use this 1 year old card. Some of the cards on Komplett has overclocking options. Previously I have had issues with heating on my comps, so I guess getting one with enough cooling and power supply might be a good idea.

I'm going to use for ts3 of course, but also for heavy struggling programs like AutoCAD, with rendering images. I guess I need a lot of RAM then? how much do people buy these days?

I need some help on selecting the right parts for my new comp, and I have been looking at the cases and such things, and wonder about size and if it fits, but I guess I can start with graphics card and RAM because thats one thing I know a bit about. It's just a bit much for me.

I hope it being in Norwegian won't be a problem. You can perhaps just point on an English site and then I can find the right one on Komplett. Thanks for the help.

edit: oh yes, my building experience - I added more ram on a previous pc and destroyed the graphics card in the process, and I changed the graphics card on this Dell myself.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 2:25 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 8th Jan 2016 at 2:37 PM.
I'll help you with this when i get back home, I'm about to head out. Can you tell me what is in your current computer? Do you already own a retail version of windows? Do you plan on playing other games besides TS3? Do you plan on doing video editing or other work stuff? What kind of budget do you have?

edit: oh and can you post a picture of the front of the box of the gtx 970 that you have? i want to see what variant it is.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 5:57 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 9th Jan 2016 at 9:20 AM.
A good thing you asked me about the box of the graphics card, because I was all wrong. It's gigabyte Geforce GTX750TI. I did think it was a bit odd with the newest card being so close to what I had now, and 4 times more expensive.

In the process I also found some pictures I took last time when I got some help with buying the grafics card. Turns out it's only for the powersupply, color me surpriced. You probably don't need that much info about the old one anyway. It's a Dell xps8500

I was planning to upgrade to windows 10, I do plan on making lots of videos yes. I don't play that many other games, perhaps Cities Skylines and such. Budget? unlimited? haha, no probably not. I'm not sure, but possibly around 20k NOK, or perhaps that's too little? ...

Edit: added the currency, since I'm buying on a Norwegian site, native currency.
Screenshots
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 3:20 AM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 9th Jan 2016 at 6:16 AM.
CPU: https://www.komplett.no/product/850...5-6400-skylake#
Motherboard: https://www.komplett.no/product/850...lus-socket-1151
RAM: https://www.komplett.no/product/851...r4-2400mhz-16gb
SSD: https://www.komplett.no/product/828...0-evo-250gb-ssd
HDD: https://www.komplett.no/product/753...esktop-blue-1tb
PSU: https://www.komplett.no/product/773...-500m-500w-psu#
Case: https://www.komplett.no/product/849...-240-mid-tower#

I put a Z170 motherboard instead of an H motherboard just because it offers more options (like sata ports and usb ports) and better future proofness than the standard h170 motherboard and your budget allows it. As it stands the total is something like 15,000 7,600. I also put 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB because you said you'll be using autocad, but I'm not sure you'll really use it all. Depends on which features of autocad you use. If you want to adjust the budget, the first place to cut is the RAM, go down to 8GB if you wanna save some money.

The CPU is a non-overclockable one because I dont think you'll be doing that. If I'm wrong replace it with an i5-6600K and add a CPU fan. I use the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. If you need top of the line consumer processing the you could get the i7-6700, but its overkill for gaming.

The SSD is only 250GB, but there's a 1000GB traditional hard drive in there for your movies and pictures. If you want a larger SSD just go ahead and replace the 250GB i put with the 500GB version of the same brand and model (look for Samsung 850 EVO 500GB).

The PSU I put is also more than you need for your gtx 750 ti because i think you'll find the 750 ti too slow for autocad. again depends on what features you use. If ever you choose to replace the 750 ti the PSU I put is good enough for all but the most power hungry GPUs. For example you could run a GTX 970.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 9:51 AM
I'm using 2 TB now and even that's a bit small. I don't know if I can fit the Dell storage to the new one, but I will try. I will go for 2 TB anyway. Do I then need two of the 500 gb one? That's what you call SSD isn't it?

I already have another monitor for the old card, so I will buy a GTX970 perhaps. How complicated is it to set up the comp for two monitors? I could perhaps take the rendering on the monitor with the strongest card, or am I just talking bull now?

I think I will be going for the i7 just because I'll find it hard to go down.
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 10:26 AM
If you already have a 2TB then you can put into the new computer. I'll assume its a 3.5" standard hard drive. You simply disconnect the two cables (one is for data, the other is for power) and reconnect it in the new computer. You may have to fiddle with the settings in Windows though.

This is the link for the i7-6700: https://www.komplett.no/product/850...i7-6700-skylake. Please note that it is significantly more expensive than the i5, and as far as the sims goes you won't notice any difference between the i7 and the i5.

This is the link for the gtx 970 that I recommend: https://www.komplett.no/product/824...-970-gaming-4gb

You can setup two monitors easily, just connect them both to the gtx 970. Do not install two cards, it gets complicated. Resell the gtx 750ti second hand. Make sure you check that the two monitors have connectors that match those on the gtx 970 before you buy it.

A Solid State Drive (SSD) is like a traditional Hard Disk Drive (HDD) but hundred times faster, if not more, and has no moving parts. This means its more reliable if ever your computer gets bumped or moves, and it makes less noise. It also draws a lot less power. Its better in almost every way except for price. Its a lot more expensive. That's why a lot of people install both an SSD and a HDD in their computer. They install windows and their most used programs on the SSD which provides speed and fast access times, and all the stuff that doesn't require speed, such as documents, pictures, music and video on the HDD which can provide more space for cheaper.

So if you have the budget for it, you can get a large SSD and still use your old 2TB HDD. How big of an SSD you want to get is up to you and your budget, but I don't recommend getting one smaller than 250GB.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 12:45 PM
Komplett thinks the powersupply needs to be improved. They suggest this one.

They also suggest this motherboard.

This will be my wishlist before replacing those two.

I may have selected the more powerful parts in your suggestion, so I may need more power?
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 3:35 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 9th Jan 2016 at 4:07 PM.
I cannot see your wishlist because you need to be logged in to see it i think. Can you copy and paste it here for me to check?

The power supply you linked to *is* better than the one i linked to but according to my math the extra juice is unnecessary. According to this test website, their test machine with the gtx 970 drew 284W under heavy load, which IF all of it were drawn from the +12V rail, would equal to 23.67A. But It's not all drawn from the +12V rail and they were testing with a CPU that draws more power than the i7 i suggested to you. So in reality your actual power draw would be lower. But let's use just 23.6A anyway just to be safe.

According to the official Corsair CX500M website, the CX500M provides a maximum of 38A on the +12V rail. 23.67A / 38A = 60.53% of the PSU's maximum load. And if you look at the efficiency graph of the CX500M also on that page you'll see that 60% corresponds to almost peak efficiency for the PSU. And that's a worst case scenario. The math works out. The EVGA 550W G2 *is* better, in both available power and part quality, but it's also 47% more expensive. Seems like a lot to pay for just better quality parts and more juice you wont use. The quality of the CX500M is okay, dont get me wrong. I wouldnt suggest it to you if i thought it was garbage. It's just that the G2 is top tier, and you're going to pay a hefty premium for that top tier quality.

EDIT: The motherboard komplett suggested is of the same type, and it's slightly cheaper. It's not necessarily better, just different. It trades one USB Type C for two USB 3.0 on the back. USB Type C is the new USB standard, but it's not common yet. It's reversible (meaning it doesnt matter which way you put it in) and delivers more power over the usb and transfers data faster. However the other motherboard komplett suggested gives you two of the older usb ports and two pci slots that the one i suggested doesnt have. PCI ports are for addon cards. You can pick either. Theyre both the same to me.

I use the Z170M-PLUS in my computer.
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 9:11 PM
Talking to Komplett: What is the point in deleting my stuff? Useless annoying peeps. I realize you don't want me to occupy your parts forever, but only a few days at least?

On motherboard I think I'll go for new, new is always good It's saturday evening isn't it. It also seems to me you know what you're talking about so I'll take your word for it. Komplett thought it was a hard working setup. I looked more closely at the motherboard description and can see it's compatible with i7, that's always good. There is one guy complaining about bios trouble. He called Asus live chat about it and never found the issue. He suggested staying way off. He's the only one saying anything, not quite reliable like that. I could check out some reviews I guess.

I guess what you say about PSI is this:

1 x CPU
4 x DIMM 288-pin
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( x4-modus )
2 x PCIe 3.0 x1

The gtx970 requires: PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot
I think that looks ok?

It also requires: 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
I have a few more than the one I need for the x16, so I should be fine? one 8 pin and a 6 pin ... I remember some of those inside the Dell. They looked rather funny. Not easy to know if it's 6 or 8 pins from this or what?

I know the present Dell graphics card is too slow as you call it. It started smelling burnt here, and I didn't have the stumack to keep rendering like that.

I hope this is all. 8 pieces. Komplett said I didn't need anymore wires or anything. Below is the finished list then. I'll wait if you have anything to add before I shop. It's a bit daunting *eating nails*, and exciting Thanks for you help

Screenshots
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 1:55 AM
I just remembered cd/dvd/blue-ray and the windows pack. I need a player as well, and I don't think it's included anywhere so far.
Scholar
#11 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 4:20 AM
When I saw talking about the PCI slots, this is what I was referring to:

1 x CPU
4 x 240-pins DIMM
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( x4-modus )
2 x PCIe 3.0 x1
2 x PCI

As for the power supply, you'll notice in the description it says "2x 6+2 PCIe". Your graphics card connects to the PCIe x16 slot (not to be confused with PCI) and requires PCIe standard connectors, one of which needs to be 8pin and the other 6pin. When the CX500M says "2x 6+2 PCIe" it means it has two PCIe connectors, which are 6pin +2additional pin. This means when you're hooking up your card, you'll see the each PCIe power connectors having 6pins with 2 additional pins hanging to it. So you take one of the 6+2, and connect it all into the 8pin socket (since 6+2=8), and you take the other PCIe cable and connect its 6pins into the 6pin socket, and leave the other two dangling.

Overall looks good to me. Except if you are going to reuse your old 2TB, then you don need to buy the WD Blue 1TB.

Windows 10: https://www.komplett.no/product/851...indows-10-home#

What "player" do you mean?
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 9:38 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 10th Jan 2016 at 9:58 AM.
I'm talking about the CD or DVD for the sims. They need to go somewhere. I don't have any now do I?

Last time when I bought the graphics card I was told that Dell had some parts that didn't quite fit within normal measures. I just double up the storage to be on the safe side.

I was just talking about windows yesterday because I was going to bed and didn't want to forget it. I was searching through Kompletts lists to see if there was anything more I like to add.

Edit: I thought blue-ray was to take over DVD, but they are still both around. CD's I have some with music on, but I have a stereo as well. Probably only for games then. What do people buy these days? Most just download don't they.
Scholar
#13 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 2:15 PM
You can just buy a blu-ray reader and add it to your list if you want, it will read blu-rays, dvds and cds all in one drive.

I know nothing about blu-ray drives, but this one looks okay: https://www.komplett.no/product/797...blu-ray-writer#
dodgy builder
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 4:39 PM
I was looking at the same thing. Order sent and paid even, they should be professional. I looked at a video camera as well, but decided against it in the end.

I was suppose to check if a sound card and graphics is integrated on the motherboard is included. Totally forgot. Now it's dinner and work on my AutoCAD tonight.

I might need some additional help putting it together, but I know there is some great videos on YouTube.
Scholar
#15 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I was looking at the same thing. Order sent and paid even, they should be professional. I looked at a video camera as well, but decided against it in the end.

I was suppose to check if a sound card and graphics is integrated on the motherboard is included. Totally forgot. Now it's dinner and work on my AutoCAD tonight.

I might need some additional help putting it together, but I know there is some great videos on YouTube.

There is a sound card integrated into the motherboard. Graphics are no longer integrated into the motherboard, they are now integrated into the CPU.

Id be happy to help you put it together.