Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#501 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 6:07 PM
I completely agree with Amtram's last post.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#502 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 11:09 PM
Amtram - Yep. I can understand some infants may live up so short or in serious conditions that they are probably better to put them to sleep in. That is something we can agree on. =)

Great post.

Quote: Originally posted by jooxis
Preventing something from happening is not the same as trying to 'undo' it once it already happens.

No. That is not what I mean.
Instructor
#503 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 9:00 AM
What you meant is you have a disability and are happy with your life, therefore it's not justifiable for mothers to try to prevent their children from being born with disabilities? That sounds like what you meant and I completely disagree.
Lab Assistant
#504 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:16 AM
OK, I'll do my best to clarity it. I don't think all disabilities are bad that they need to be aborted. By the way, women and girls are free to make a choice. It's up to them for make decision, not me. There. Don't worry. I don't tell you (or everyone here) what to do. I just stated on how I view on disability and abortion. =) So, I happen to agree with Amtram's post about some are grave disabilities. I am positive that depends on type of the disability; some are fine and another ones are not so good. That is why I said, "[...] I don't agree all disabled kids need to be aborted off [...]". I hope that is clear to you.
Lab Assistant
#505 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:32 AM
OK, I don't really understand why you feel really, really need to 'attack' me, pro-choicers? Why are you so bitter at me?

I didn't say the abortion need to be banned and illegal..... I DON'T say you can't have an abortion. I already clarified my pervious post.....
Instructor
#506 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:42 AM
I agree it should be the mother's choice as well. I understand if someone does not want to go through the stress of having a severely disabled child or doesn't have the time or resources to raise a child with special needs. I'm not saying they should always be aborted in every case, but like Amtram put it, the mother should decide. And that way, it will be what's best for the child as well as the mother.
And once the child is born, no good parent will regret their child being born. That's what I was saying, it's different when it already happens - once you have your child, you won't want to change it for another one.
Lab Assistant
#507 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 11:57 AM
Yep, yep. I wholeheartedly agree. =)
Field Researcher
#508 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 5:33 PM
SOME parents might decide that they can't handle the needs of a child with severe spina bifida, or cystic fibrosis, or deformities of essential organs (like the heart), and whatever reason they have, it has to be respected. Other parents will decide that they can, and that should be respected as well.

Since it's already legal (although extraordinarily difficult to obtain) and genetic testing and ultrasound testing can reveal many of these serious problems already, it's not like people are going to suddenly decide that they're going to abort frivolously.

Currently, most late-term abortions are performed when a deadly defect is discovered. Anencephaly is a big one. Trisomy 21 (Downs Syndrome) is a tricky one, but very often comes along with serious heart defects. Because it's a wide spectrum disorder, most parents opt for having the child and hoping for the best. However, if there are defects that need to be fixed with surgery, there's a high likelihood that the baby will not survive surgery. Parents who realize that their child will die without surgery, but will also die without surgery, are deciding to abort for that reason, not because they don't want a Downs Syndrome child.

By the time a pregnancy reaches the stage where these problems can be detected, the parents have already chosen names, decorated the nursery, maybe even had the baby shower and such. When they have to make this choice, it's absolutely the last thing they want to do. Anyone who's had a child knows that you get to the point that you love this child and anticipate its birth well before week 21. If someone thinks that these abortions are being used casually as birth control, then that person lives in a very special little bubble.

To then say to these already devastated parents that they're not allowed to choose what is best for them and their child simply underscores their insulation from the real world. These heartless folks will say things like "well, then, you shouldn't have gotten pregnant!" as if this outcome were something the parents should have been able to predict. "Oh, honey, I'm afraid our baby will be born with only a brain stem and missing the entire back of its skull, so let's try next month, instead."
Field Researcher
#509 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 9:03 PM
I think its a woman's right to choose. Regardless of the reasons why she had gotten pregnant or wanted the abortion, granted wouldn't I get an abortion, but that doesn't make it my right to judge/give permission to another on if they should, and in my opinion I don't believe that government should make that decision either.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.
"I'd trade all of my tomorrows for just one yesterday." Me and Bobby Mcgee
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#510 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 7:25 PM
This debate has exceeded the 500 posts mark, so I'm going to go ahead and close it. Anyone who would like to continue the discussion is more than welcome to start a new thread.

There's always money in the banana stand.

Page 21 of 21