Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2008 at 11:29 AM
Default Myanmar Officials Postpones Help For Typhoon-Hit Areas
Read it here: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.j...281474977339706

Taken from source stated above:
"In other news from Myanmar, the ruling military junta said it would postpone to May 24 a constitutional referendum in the worst-hit areas of Yangon and the sprawling Irrawaddy delta. However, state TV said the May 10 vote on a charter, part of the army's much-criticized "roadmap to democracy," would proceed as planned in the rest of the Southeast Asian country where security forces violently cracked down on protests last year."

What are your thoughts? What's your reaction to their response to this crisis?

Personally, this is disgusting to hear. How could the officials deny help to these people?
Advertisement
#2 Old 14th May 2008 at 3:01 PM
my first reaction when mom told me about the ordeal is --> if only they have petroleum, plenty of country would rush in to help.

serious thought: its time to intervene, how i don't know.
#3 Old 14th May 2008 at 3:08 PM
Its crappy that their government is doing that. But there is nothing that we can do about it. If they don't want us there, we can't help them. Its not worth starting an international incident over, we have enough of our own problems to deal with.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th May 2008 at 7:40 PM
I think their government wants to keep other countries and their aid out so the people of Myanmar don't see their own military government as weak and see how much more economically developed other nations are in comparison, which has the potential to cause eventual unrest. However, their refusal to allow the aid may be the trigger for just enough unrest to cause a revolution anyway.

The problem is what would happen after such a revolution. From what I've read, Myanmar was a mess of tribal factions constantly at odds with each other, none of them wanting to cooperate with the other groups at best and engaged in outright violence at worst. The military took over and dominated the tribes (or whatever they're called) and forced everyone to work together whether they liked it or not. The military government is oppressive and xenophobic, but without them in place, the country may devolve into constant civil war. It could be a choice between frying pan and fire.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th May 2008 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cloudchaser
I think their government wants to keep other countries and their aid out so the people of Myanmar don't see their own military government as weak and see how much more economically developed other nations are in comparison, which has the potential to cause eventual unrest. However, their refusal to allow the aid may be the trigger for just enough unrest to cause a revolution anyway.

The problem is what would happen after such a revolution. From what I've read, Myanmar was a mess of tribal factions constantly at odds with each other, none of them wanting to cooperate with the other groups at best and engaged in outright violence at worst. The military took over and dominated the tribes (or whatever they're called) and forced everyone to work together whether they liked it or not. The military government is oppressive and xenophobic, but without them in place, the country may devolve into constant civil war. It could be a choice between frying pan and fire.
Its not really being seen as weak, but the risk of out side ideas working their way in and destroying their totalitarian way of rule.

One of my more favorite quotes I think explains it well.

Quote:
As the Americans learned so painfully, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

So far, much of the aid that was sent has been confiscated. Some material is showing up for sale at local markets. While some organizations have warned that the aid may be used for political ends and to prop up the authoritarian regime.

Pres. Bush has said, regardless of what the government is doing to hinder efforts, the US will continue to send aid and do what we can to see that it will reach those who need it the most.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2008 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Faithlove13xxx
Sounds like the people need to overthrow that gov asap.

I agree with this--they've been under their rule for who knows how long, shouldn't they do something about it?

And at least there's still those who do give the refugees. I think it's embarassing to the country that the government won't give the ones in danger some help--but the other countries do.
Scholar
#7 Old 15th May 2008 at 5:59 AM
Amish Nick....did you just quote Commission Lal from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? O.o

I only ask because I love the game--best Sid Meier game ever.

But to go back to the original point, I expect that's more or less the case--an understanding that their continued rule is very precarious, especially in light of the present disasters. If they were offered huge sums of cash, they'd probably gladly accept--of course, that's not how foreign aid works.

And I guess that's the darker side to foreign aid (which is not to say Myanmar's government isn't paranoid beyond reason)--it almost always comes with some political strings attached.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Field Researcher
#8 Old 19th May 2008 at 7:16 PM
These military leaders are complete dicks. The food Australia sent was repackaged and marked to say it came from the Myanmar government.