Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#201 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mollypog
Probably all three of them would be teased for being named on a "theme" of Arturian legend. And when you think about it, that's a little creepy. Arthur and Guenevere were married, and Lancelot was Guenevere's illicit lover. Not exactly an association I'd want to have with my own siblings, even if it was just by name.

I told her exactly same thing...I said you realise Lancelot was Guenevere's lover?she went really?(and she wants to be a historian )
Advertisement
#202 Old 27th Feb 2009 at 10:31 PM
My grandpa and gramdma got a new nieboor and they have a little girl and named her Ryder-Dale
Lab Assistant
#203 Old 28th Feb 2009 at 4:19 AM
I believe that unusual is okay, but to a certain extent only. "4Real" is taking it a bit far in my opinion. I believe I read somewhere that there was a boy named, and I kid you not, "Weather'By Dot Com Chanel Fourcast." That poor child. If I remember right the court renamed him Samuel or something like that.

I do like unusual names, though. Like if I ever have sons, their names will be Cornelius, Vladimir, and Sebastien. For girls I like Anna and Grace, so nothing too weird there.

My name is Caitlin, which is pretty popular. I have 2 friends with my name and they are both spelled differently. (Katlin and Kaitlyn. Plus I know a Kaitlin and a Caitlyn.) So popular names tend to not sit well with me since when the teacher says Caitlin, at least 2 people besides me look. And I constantly have to correct peoples' spellings of my name.

I agree with what most people have been saying. An approved name list would be taking it too far, since often times names are overlooked. However I do like the idea of having to submit a name and then having it looked at on an individual basis. But, to each their own.

Hello there, the angel from my nightmare.
The shadow in background of the morgue.
The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley.
We can live like Jack and Sally, if we want. - I Miss You - Blink-182

Read my Sim story "Searching For Something " HERE
Test Subject
#204 Old 1st Mar 2009 at 12:02 AM
Right now, every time a teacher says, "Ashley," three girls are responding. So she says, "Ashley B." Now two girls are responding. Is that what we want? No diversity?

I, myself, love unusual names because it will in most cases make you stand out more. Some of the names mentioned in this thread I even liked(I liked the name Sunset). There was this kid in one of my classes named Theolopolus, I will admit that it got some laughs out of the student body but we just call him Theo, he even seems to be proud of it. Now that is an eyebrow raiser, and it can get people even more interested in seeing him personally.

It all boils down to opinion and it is never okay to force your opinions on others. When you have your kid you will have your chance to give him/her something generic.

As for the job thing, there was an ongoing fight with my uncle and the rest of the family on naming his upcoming child Decembe. The argument was that if someone saw that name on a job application it will be harder for him to get the job because they will know for sure he is Black or of African descent(He ended up naming him Derek-Decembe). That is the main reason why my mother gave me the name she did. I find it sad that we can't even use names closer to our own roots because we risk getting discriminated against. That is something that needs to be changed and not encouraged.

Of course, if a parent named their kid something like "4Real" then they should get tested for drugs because that is just incredibly stupid. If they are sane, they will know it is stupid too. That is why I agree with the thing where the government looks things over.
#205 Old 1st Mar 2009 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SlickC33
Of course, if a parent named their kid something like "4Real" then they should get tested for drugs because that is just incredibly stupid. If they are sane, they will know it is stupid too. That is why I agree with the thing where the government looks things over.

LOL ya. I also think unsual names are cool but that like alot of other people said is just taking it way too far

Page 9 of 9