Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 6:41 AM
Default Scare Force One

"Everybody panicked," said Daisy Cooper, a Merrill Lynch worker in Jersey City, who lost a nephew on 9/11. "Everybody was screaming and we all ran downstairs. I'm devastated. ..Everybody was running, we didn't know why we were running. We just knew it was a plane, there we go, 9/11 again."

That is but one person interviewed after being scared to death that we were under attack again. But the WH has responded.

Quote:
President Barack Obama ordered a review of a publicity-photo shoot with one of the planes that serves as Air Force One that cost taxpayers $328,835 and caused a furor in New York City.

Take note, it is expected to take the WH two weeks to complete its internal review on this. By then it will be another mostly forgotten blunder for the WH.

Interesting thing, they knew about this.

Quote:
FAA Memo: Feds Knew NYC Flyover Would Cause Panic
Threatened Federal Sanctions Against NYPD, Secret Service, FBI & Mayor's Office If Secret Ever Got Out

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/air.fo...e.2.996457.html

Which had every one in NY scared to death, and fleeing from every tall building as Air Force One buzzed ground zero tailed by two fighter jets all in the name of a photo opp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oQx...player_embedded

Now interestingly, Air Force one's command says that it wasn't a photo opp. but a "Training Mission". On what possible reason if this is true could prompt the White house or the Pentagon too need to practice low level flight of a 747 over NY City?

Now I'm sure Obama is going to throw Louis Caldera, director of the White House Military Office who approved this "Training Mission" under the wheels of his bus over this. But what about James J. Johnston ? As his name is listed on the memo of "who needs to know", and contained the threats if this was leaked? Or others in the White House who certainly should have known as well? Will there be only one who suffers a punishment for this or will there be others?

In addition from Defenselink's own site regarding this "Training Mission".

Quote:
“While federal authorities took the proper steps to notify state and local authorities in New York and New Jersey, it’s clear that the mission created confusion and disruption,”

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/new...e.aspx?id=54097

Memo's showed officials informed were threatened with sanctions if they leaked what was going to take place. What good does telling a few officials when they can't let the public know who were the ones sent running for what they thought were their lives.

Now for the debate.

What took place was stupid to say the least, but what else is new.

But is the possible firing of Louis Caldera fair, or enough? As released by the WH's Robert Gibbs, they are not ruling out firing Caldera, but won't sign off on it. But also only seem to be singling out Caldera for this. If this isn't enough, who else should be tossed under the wheels of the bus too? And should Congress start issuing subpoenas and dragging officials before Congress to find out who know what and when?

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 1:46 PM
I honestly have to admit, in my opinion the public are seriously over-reacting. So a plane flew over...so what? Does this mean that every Brit should run around screaming and waving their hands in the air every time a double decker drives past, or an underground train arrives at a station?

This just reminds me about the shock and horror a couple of my American friends went through when I mentioned that I was going to catch the underground as part of a journey I had to do, three months AFTER the 7th July bombings...

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Instructor
#3 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 2:13 PM
On one hand I think it is a great over reaction, but on the other I only have to look at my own self before boarding the underground here in London now to see how easy it is to become nervous or panicked about past events. The state should probably have warned locals this would be happening to avoid the public concern. I don't think anyone should be punished for this though I doubt they meant to cause concern.
Inventor
#4 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 2:15 PM
America is a country built on fear, motivated by fear, and just live for the next fear moment so that they can have some fear to share with any and all they come in contact with. Just another day in the neighborhood!:wow:
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 7:16 PM
I doubt the panic that took place was overreacting. Keep in mind, that if another plane gets hijacked, fighters will be dispatched to possible shoot it down.

In this 'Training Exercise' there were two fighter jets trailing the 747.

There was no advanced warning, no notice of this to take place. So in the public's eye, this was another case of a hijacking, and people didn't want to get caught in the way when it came crashing into a tall building.

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
Theorist
#6 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 7:57 PM
It was a stupid stunt, and never should have been done in the first place. If Bush had done something like this, you can damn well be sure the liberals would be making a huge deal out of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Inventor
#7 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:14 PM
Are you implying that the President had something to do with this? No need to get things twisted! What is it with you and liberals, the conservatives are not looking all that good these days either.
Theorist
#8 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 9:19 PM
The FAA informed the NYPD, FBI and Secret Service about it prior to doing it. As much as he wants to claim ignorance of it, I sincerely doubt that the FAA has the authority to order the Secret Service to keep quiet and not tell the President. Same goes for the FBI. The ONLY way that this could remain a complete secret is if someone with complete authority ordered it, and there aren't that many people with that kind of power, if you know what I mean.

Even IF, and that is a very large IF, Obama really didn't know anything about it, it still comes down to his administration's responsibility. It was pre-planned and approved by members of his administration. Sorry, I just can't buy the Obama was in the dark angle. Again, if this exact same thing had happened under President Bush, even if you cling to the belief the President didn't know ahead of time, Bush still would have been excoriated over it.

Quote:
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Inventor
#9 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 9:38 PM
I would say Bush got off the hook on many things in spite of the liberals, however I forgot the President is believed to be omnipresent if I listen to some. To bad it is not true and he can't push a button and undo Bush's mess.
Theorist
#10 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 10:02 PM
Omnipresent? No. However, when the FBI and the President's own Secret Service know in advance that it is going to happen, using one of the Presidential "Air Force One" planes, even if it was a backup, it is implausible to believe that whoever in the FAA told the FBI and Secret Service to keep it quiet had the authority to hide it even from the President of the United States. There is simply no way this photo op happens without the President being informed ahead of time.

Quote:
Inventor
#11 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by davious
Omnipresent? No. However, when the FBI and the President's own Secret Service know in advance that it is going to happen, using one of the Presidential "Air Force One" planes, even if it was a backup, it is implausible to believe that whoever in the FAA told the FBI and Secret Service to keep it quiet had the authority to hide it even from the President of the United States. There is simply no way this photo op happens without the President being informed ahead of time.

I was not there nor am I or you privy to what the President knew or did not know, so it is all speculation on your part. Be it that all that speculation laid dormant for eight years, your speculation is not well tested.

Whoever did what and left the President out of the loop, I bet it will never happen again!
Theorist
#12 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 10:53 PM
Give me a break, UrisStar, it was the PRESIDENT'S AIRPLANE! This isn't one of those "President should have known in advance about 9/11" and should have prevented it kind of things.

Quote:
Inventor
#13 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 11:01 PM
Yeah, it is his plane, however he got people!
#14 Old 11th May 2009 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by urisStar
Yeah, it is his plane, however he got people!

With all due respect it seems you have just made a point for your opponents argument in saying "...however he got people!". Those people are there making it LOOK like OBAMA had no prior knowledge of the photo op.

And no, it was NOT a training session. That too is a load of crap.
Inventor
#15 Old 11th May 2009 at 9:06 PM
I know some people think that Obama is all knowing with powers beyond his human capabilities, all this shows is that he got people that lack/needs more supervision. The guy lost his job, so we will all get the story if he decide to write a book and make claims, if he was unfairly treated.

Everyone wants to be a judge and that with little or no information on the facts.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 11th May 2009 at 9:59 PM
Why does anyone give a damn? It seriously doesn't matter that much.

Why aren't conservatives freaking out that 1 out of every 10 states allows gay marriage? Now there's something to freak out about if you're conservative, not the fact that they did a test over lower Manhattan. It doesn't affect you.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 12th May 2009 at 2:56 AM
I'm with davious on this. The president had to have known. How would he not know? And how could so many people knowing hide it from him?

Just put your paws up, Cause you were born this way, Baby.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 12th May 2009 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kirbs
I'm with davious on this. The president had to have known. How would he not know? And how could so many people knowing hide it from him?

I don't think the president directly controls what Air Force One does 24/7. Also, why would they hide it from him thinking that there's nothing wrong with it? They probably didn't mention it because it was not a big issue at the time.

I agree with Black_Barook!.
Theorist
#19 Old 12th May 2009 at 10:34 PM
If it wasn't a big deal, the NYPD and other law enforcement groups that were told ahead of time wouldn't have been ordered to keep it quiet. They were ordered to keep it quiet, and there aren't that many people that would have had the authority to make such an order stick. Be honest, if this happened while Bush was in office, you guys would be demanding his head for such a lamebrained PR move, and there is no way you would accept his explanation that he didn't know. There would be conspiracy theories galore...Hell, some of you guys think Bush should have known 9/11 was going to happen, which would have required a large amount of omniscience, but, Obama isn't even expected to know what his own airplane is up to? C'mon. Really?

Quote:
Inventor
#20 Old 13th May 2009 at 12:55 AM
:doh :talk: If I recalled, Bush left office with his head, though I question seriously if Chaney may have stolen his voice and he may be the one demanding his head for all their lame-brained PR moves for the past eight years. There is no way you would accept his explanation that he didn't know there were no WMD or that they did not know it was torture when they water boarded two guys two hundred and eighty plus times as three hundred times would have definitely been a crime and un American .
Theorist
#21 Old 13th May 2009 at 1:19 AM
Regarding the whole no WMDs deal...first, the intelligence we got from British Intelligence was determined to be valid, by both the US and British Governments. It also "fooled" a lot of other countries too. 2nd, when that evidence was presented to the appropriate committees etc in Congress, the Democrats for the most part AGREED with the evidence as being legitimate. Bush didn't come up with the evidence, and he wasn't the only one that saw the evidence and came away with the same conclusion. Thirdly, all the fact that they didn't find any proves is that Hussein destroyed them prior to the "factfinders" going to each site. It does not prove that there weren't any WMDs. Trying to compare that to the Air Force One fiasco is truly pathetic. They are ENTIRELY different situations. And you didn't deny that you would have been heavily critical of Bush had this Air Force One PR stunt been done under his administration, instead, you do what you always do, try to change the subject when challenged, without actually answering it. So, UrisStar, here is a direct question: Had this occurred during the Bush Administration, would you have given President Bush the free pass you are currently giving President Obama?

Quote:
Inventor
#22 Old 13th May 2009 at 1:36 AM
No soldiers or civilians died, no country was destroyed, America did not come off looking like a liar to the world, billion of dollars were not wasted. An employee took liberties he felt he could get away with, and he whose job it was to keep things in check was sack, and all it prove is that its hard to get good help these days . . . end of story.
Theorist
#23 Old 13th May 2009 at 1:51 AM
I will take your refusal to answer the direct question and AGAIN changing the subject as your admission that you wouldn't give Bush the same free pass you give Obama, and that, UrisStar, makes you a completely partisan hypocrite, or completely naive in the security measures the US government takes with its property. To believe that nobody in the Obama administration knew it was happening is completely laughable. It was the backup Air Force One, the one that they use if the primary one can't be used for some reason. The President travels on Air Force One, and yet, you want me to accept that they have no clue where the backup is, even though they HAVE to know where the backup is, in case something happens to the primary jet. You expect me to accept that Obama's administration is so inept and dimwitted that they either didn't know where the backup Air Force One was, or that nobody thought it might be a good idea to inform the President of it...PUHLEASE. The level of incompetency in the Obama administration for nobody to know where the plane was would have to be huge, huge to the point that it makes Obama simply look stupid. Since you will never admit to any incompetency in his Administration, then that means they knew about it, and allowed it to happen. Either they didn't know, or they did know. If they didn't know, they are morons, because they have to know where it is, because it could be needed at any time. If they did know, then Obama is either lying about not knowing (likely) or nobody felt it was a good idea to tell him...in which case, Obama needs to get people in there who think informing him of something like that might be a good idea. Either way, you CANNOT avoid placing the blame on Obama...well, you can, but anyone who applies logic and common sense in regards to the security that is around the President's plane couldn't...The airplane is kept under the utmost security. You can't just take it out for a spin without someone in the highest levels of the administration knowing about it.

Quote:
Inventor
#24 Old 13th May 2009 at 2:04 AM
Obama is a busy man and he have people to take care of stuff, whoever drop the ball I am sure they were taken care of, and Obama will make sure that never happen again.

No one will be talking about Bush if you did not keep bringing him up.

I won't attack you like you feel free to try and get personal with me, only to say, use your freedom wisely.
Test Subject
#25 Old 21st May 2009 at 6:53 PM
As someone who was living in New York at the time of 9/11, this is disgusting. People were not "overreacting." These are people who saw the planes crash into the towers, and to scare them like that again is repulsive. I have seriously lost respect for President Obama after this. I don't care if it wasn't him. He's president, and it's HIS responsibility to make sure things like this don't happen. It happened under his watch.

Page 1 of 2