Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 2:13 AM
Default Telling People to Kill Themselves~ Acceptable "Joke" or No?
I've been frequenting a certain tumblr tag lately, the "onision" one to be exact.

Now let me just point out that I think this man shouldn't even be considered a man: he is a slut-shamer, a sexist, an abuser, possible a pedo, and all around not a very nice human.
BUT, the tag often includes raging about how Onsion says "kill yourself" as a joke pretty frequently.
I think this is entirely wrong, and so do most people who post in the tag.

It would be nice to hear some unbiased opinions however.
So acceptable, or not acceptable?

Bloo bagoo!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 3:00 AM
Never acceptable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 5:36 AM
Of course it's not okay! How could anyone even think that? No matter how much you hate someone, what's a suggestion is what some people in real life, not over the internet, actually take. Suicide is never a good topic to joke about..
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 8:02 AM
Not acceptable. Nope.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 3:25 PM
No, not acceptable.

I'm confused by your "but", which makes it sound as if it's surprising he'd make this joke, considering the despicable qualities you ascribe to him earlier in the sentence. Seems to me that type of joke fits right along with his general character.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 3:32 PM
I don't understand why you visit his tumblr if he is as rude as you say he is. I would not be going there. If everyone ignored his tumblr he wouldn't have anyone to 'mouth off' to!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 3:44 PM
Sorry,but it isn't a joke.It sounds more like insult.If someone throw it on me, I will angrily suggest to do it to himself.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 4:01 PM
That wouldn't help much either, Nemiga. I think people make this "joke" because they don't believe the person they're telling to kill themselves ever would. Suicide is weird and out of the ordinary, and none of us look at the people we see every day and seriously think that they might one day kill themselves.

The fact is, though, people do kill themselves, and prior to it happening they come across the same as everyone else - the same as all those people who would never ever kill themselves. Whenever you tell someone to kill themselves, no matter how convinced you are that they never would, you're running the risk that actually, yes, they will.

So instead of getting into an arms race of stupid, objectively offensive insults about suicide - thereby legitimating their use as insults - try pointing out that the person who's said that to you is a cunt, and that if they ever were to say that to a person who actually was close to killing themselves, they'd not only be a cunt but a cunt responsible for the tragic and avoidable death of another human being.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 10:20 PM
Not acceptable as a joke, and not acceptable as an insult, either.

There are limits to what some people can handle, and over the net you don't know who you'll meet. Some people have troubly lives or troubly backgrounds, and that one insult might just be the thing that throws them off the edge, so to speak. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between what is a joke and what is not when it is written down, and you don't know how the person in the other end is going to take it. Something like this can be taken deeply serious if you stumble upon the right (or wrong, maybe?) person.

Using "filters" on what you say on the net is often a smart thing. If you would not be able to say something to the person face to face, don't say it on the net.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 11:16 PM
Sadly, I know one person who would say "if someone can't handle a suicide joke, that's their problem". He believes in free speech to an absurd degree. I don't consider him a safe person to discuss my mental health with.
#11 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 3:57 AM
Hell no! It's not even a "joke" for Pete sake!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 5:12 AM
Thank you for the opinions you guys! When people get on his case about it, he likes going around spouting "Can't take a kill yourself joke? Kill yourself."
It just escalates my blood pressure that he thinks he can take serious subjects and turn them into "comedy videos" for monetary gain.

Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
I don't understand why you visit his tumblr if he is as rude as you say he is. I would not be going there. If everyone ignored his tumblr he wouldn't have anyone to 'mouth off' to!

Not his tumblr per-say, but his tag. He's a youtuber and ever since he has been around and tumblr has too, the tag has been full of others who like to rage their opinions about him and help to dissuade his REALLY young fanbase from taking his lead.
I guess we all just have really strong moral compasses.

Bloo bagoo!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 4:42 PM
Sometimes I wonder where these people get their moral compasses, and if they have one at all, because I highly doubt they grew up with them!

I'm lucky enough to have grown up with one, but I also get it constantly through school and nursing practice, and always need to have it in mind - because otherwise I might just find myself other work where I don't see people at all. Figuring out if people like a joke or two (innocent as they might be - not anywhere near the "kill yourself" jokes, of course), or if they can handle it at all is alpha omega in good communication - it's a fine balance betweeen keeping people's spirits up and not crossing any lines. There are certain things you just don't joke around with if you don't know a person well. A little bit of innocent joking around can brighten someone's mood, while a bad joke or even a badly placed (but otherwise innocent) joke can ruin their day and even an entire relationship.

My bad jokes go on the forums, and when I joke around on forums, I try not to leave any doubts that I am joking...

The trouble with the net is that people's boundaries go down. You talk with a computer and on certain levels forget there is a person at the other end. It's easy to do that, and I'm pretty sure everyone does it once in a while. Trying not to do it is the clue.
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 12:37 AM
"Jokes" that that aren't jokes at all:

*Telling someone to kill them self
*Cancer/HIV
*Death
*Rape
*Hate
*Drugs/Poverty
*Mental Illness

Want to hear a dead baby joke? Well, you fucking can't because there's no such thing. It's impossible to say a sentence with "Dead Baby" in it and make people laugh /endrant

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 11:21 AM
i've only seen the onision videos a long time ago. i don't think that telling people to 'kill themselves' should be construed as a joke, however
Forum Resident
#16 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 11:45 AM
Times like these, I'm happy to live an apparently media-sheltered life.
The only videos of his I've seen (2) were the dog logic videos and they were, dare I say, slightly cute.

But to keep to topic: no. Absolutely not.
My siblings and I were raised up to never joke about that. Ever.

While I don't know the origin of this ordeal, I like to think it was never meant to be taken literally or seriously.
It only goes to show that inappropriate is a trait in RL, not just Sims.

I can think of a few well-known comedians who have covered suicide, and all of those stand up routines were considered controversial (and definitely not noted for humor).
Shock factor, inappropriate, taboo... call it what you will, but don't call it a joke.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 1:47 PM
I don't think it's true that some topics can't be funny at all, Blake, and should be completely tabboo. 99% of those kinds of "jokes" aren't funny... but that's because the vast majority of people making them aren't thinking (or don't care), so they fuck it up. Rape jokes are the easy example since there's been such debate about them recently, so here are a few that are actually funny (two of them by men, no less):

I know these are a bit different, as they're standup routines rather than just one-liners posted on forums, but I think the point stands. Any topic can be made funny if you're actually thinking about it, rather than just going "Someone's got HIV! Haha" "Someone got raped! Haha" "Someone's baby is dead! Haha"

Scholar
#18 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 2:09 PM
@Nysha Hmmm....that Wanda Sykes video.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#19 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 2:13 PM
Man, I couldn't agree with her more.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 13th Oct 2013 at 10:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Oct 2013 at 10:51 PM.
The thing with comedians is that some of them know how to twist pretty much any theme into a joke. Some are very successful at it, and can turn even the most controversial themes into something funny, while it at the same time makes you think things through. It depends on how they attack it and how far they go.

At least the better comedians manage this. Others tend to step too far, and instead of funny it becomes awkward or even offending.
Theorist
#21 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 4:56 AM
If no one's laughing then it's not funny. I think it's pretty much that simple.

Also: if the only people laughing are stupid assholes? Probably not funny unless you're a stupid asshole. A wise person would take some profound meaning and implications from that.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#22 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, stupid assholes often aren't very good at self-identifying.

Theorist
#23 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Unfortunately, stupid assholes often aren't very good at self-identifying.

I dunno, I've never had an enormous problem picking them out of the crowd? Maybe I've just got a superpower.
Instructor
#24 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 8:40 PM
Nope, not by a long shot. We've been fed racist/sexist/overall douchy "jokes" so much that people just accept it as actual humor now. I'm also having an extremely hard time picturing someone say "Kill yourself" in a jokingly playful manner?? idk idk
Field Researcher
#25 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 7:37 AM
Nope, especially not with the recent rise in suicides.

Page 1 of 4