Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 1:50 PM
Default Subfolders for organising downloads
I was mucking around with trying to get some skins working. I had a whole lot of files in the one Packages folder, as I'm sure is the normal thing - you chuck them in and let the game sort them out.
It's hell for organising though.

In the Sims 2 as you know, you could drill down through sub folders and keep things relatively organised.

Apparently in the Sims 3 that's not the case. Well maybe not.

If you edit your resource.cfg file - the one you have to create to get all these awesome add-ons to work like this:

Code:
Priority 500 DirectoryFiles  
Mods/Files/... autoupdate 
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package 
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Hacks/*.package

Notice the fourth line with the new subfolder "Hacks". I threw the "NoIntro" package into the Hacks folder because that would tell me right away whether the package was being used.

Sure enough the Sims 3 skipped the intro.

That's cool. That means that it's reading inside that subfolder for packages on game launch.

So I'm passing on the hopefully welcome news that yes, you can have subfolders in your packages folder.

Cheers!

edited for clarity
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 2:55 PM
I believe that is in the Wiki. And why the resource.cfg you download here or at MATY have the directory structure setup like that.

Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

Installer Monkey does something like the above. This is better in the fact that your directory and subdirectory names can be anything, the * is a wildcard. Your way means you have to have only those exact named directories and if you add another you have to go back and change the resource.cfg to reflect those.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 10:55 PM
Brilliant. From reading other forum posts I was under the impression that people had tried using subfolders but without changing the resource file. Good to see it was already covered though.