Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 3:54 PM
Default *simgeom file issue with custom mesh
I am working on a simple custom mesh recolor. The first part of this process is, of course, extracting the mesh. Maybe now I will sound like a total newbie (I still am, sigh) but this mesh I got has no lods! When I open it in Postal, there are only simgeom files with numerical names which I don`t know what to do with. (Yes, you can facepalm right now.)
How do I know with these files which one should go in which lod slot??? (names like 7868697kl09). If there is one, proper way of handling simgeoms that I am guilty of not knowing, please, enlighten me!
Yep, there are three of them but with such names I simply don`t know what to do since I always worked with proper lods. Also, is there a step by step tutorial for recoloring custom meshes? I only managed to find tiny bits of helpful information scattered there and here.
Also, my CTU crashes occasionaly.

Help me, because I made a really beautiful texture, you would not want to miss out on this project, I swear, especially because of such minor mistake, right?
Help me.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 4:19 PM
Install S3PE and its meshhelpers:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo....php?board=19.0

Open the package with S3PE and right click each GEOM and choose GEOM preview
Besides the mesh preview it will give you some info on the faces/vertices used on each mesh.
Highest is lod1
Medium is lod2
Lowest is lod3

edit,
Postal also has the faces/vertices listed in its body part geometry tab. so you dont really need to install S3PE or helpers
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Install S3PE and its meshhelpers:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo....php?board=19.0

Open the package with S3PE and right click each GEOM and choose GEOM preview
Besides the mesh preview it will give you some info on the faces/vertices used on each mesh.
Highest is lod1
Medium is lod2
Lowest is lod3

edit,
Postal also has the faces/vertices listed in its body part geometry tab. so you dont really need to install S3PE or helpers

And what if program doesnt show the original texture the mesh was build from so I don`t know what should I clone in base game. Strange, but this is the case!
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 4:51 PM
i dont understand, you said you made your own texture?

It might be easier to just clone the file with s3OC, you then you dont need to relink the meshes and or morph data.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
i dont understand, you said you made your own texture?

It might be easier to just clone the file with s3OC, you then you dont need to relink the meshes and or morph data.

Hmm, I did! And I did clone the file. I just need to replace bump map and thats why I need the geoms. If you can show me the other way in deleting bumpmaps, I`d be glad!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 5:46 PM
Issue solved! For those interested how it was solved: I simply decided to work on a mesh without bumpmap, as simple as that. The difference between two meshes is...nonexistent but the difference between amounts of effort put in - GIGANTIC.
So, if you want something a little simpler - stick to non-bumpmap meshes. (Note to self: start a no-bumpmap collection).
Thus, my custom mesh recolor is...READY! And waiting to be uploaded. Whew.
Thank you guys, that was quick.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 5:58 PM
You can change the TGI link from the normalmap into a blanc one (key:00B2D882:00000000:972952e0d3631f66) with s3PE.
Click the GEOM and open it using the grid button.
browse the popup till you find the TGIBLOCKS(chunkentries/RCOLblock/TGIblocks) and change the instance number.
The first one listed is usually the normalmap.

Do not use the expand all button, it often crashes s3PE(open them by the arrows)