Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 2:13 PM
Default NEED HELP extremely important
Well this is my first post so here goes

Everytime i download an OBJECT(lots and sims work perfectly fine)into where their supposed o go(mainly in the Downloads folder)and i unzip them with WinRAR in there supposed to be places like the Collections folder and Downloads folder THEY DONT SHOW UP IN THE GAME AT ALL only certain objects do and my Collections in the game are ALWAYS empty each time i download and extract the OBJECTS

I NEED HELP big time(sorry im just a bit impatient cus ive been having problems with this since i got the game)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 2:44 PM
If the extensions of the files extracted are ".sims2pack" you have to double click them and press install.
the extensions ".package" goes directly into the download folder.
i hope I have helped.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 3:10 PM
You have sort of helped but the stuff im downloading are .pakage and i always unzip them and put them into the Downloads folder but they never show up in game even with the Custom Content setting in Game Options turned on
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 3:18 PM
So you're right clicking and extracting to the Download folder,thats what I do and it works for me. If you're putting things straight into the collections folder in the EA folder, not sure that works , never tried it. I'd add mine to a collection by going to the buy mode and add it to a collection there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 3:56 PM
Ive found something out every time i download an object its not in a .package file instead its in a DBPF Package format hmmm does anyone know how to turn it into a .package file again
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 4:04 PM
It's already in package format - DBPF Package simply means you have SimPE or DatGen installed.

You don't need to do anything other than to drop these in your downloads folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 12:44 PM
ARG they still wont wor umm i THINK i know why is it......i MASS download off every free downloads site and thought it might be because i have so much objects downloaded from different sites so today i deleting everything and im now gonna download ONLY off this site so can anyone give any more explanations(btw the 55 gallon fishtan works fine too but thats all that works so if any of you cfan tell me if its cus i downlaod of different sites all the time or if theres any other explanation

cheers
Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:07 PM
Hi, I download from lots of free sites and install most of the time without incidenr. Are any or all of these objects recolours do you know, if so have you downloaded CEP and installed. I dont know if this has anything to do with your problem....????
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:10 PM
ok just for good measure i uninstalled SimPE seeing as i never use it and the files went to PACKAGE type but someone said they are supposed to be .package files (with no capital lrtters)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:11 PM Last edited by BigBoss2005 : 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:14 PM.
only some are recolours and I DO have the CEP installed
Test Subject
#11 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:16 PM
Have you got (enable custom content ON) in the sims2 settings ? :confused: :confused:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 1:32 PM
yes i have
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 9:35 PM Last edited by BigBoss2005 : 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:01 PM.
looks like i might aswell get a new game then
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 10:10 PM
well it seems that ONLY Sims2Pack files work for my Sims 2
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 12:47 AM
Just to clear things up. What is the full path to your downloads folder? e.g. C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\.

"Y'know, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off." ~Zaphod Beeblebrox
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 1:04 AM
you just said it Leman0
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 3:36 PM
Big boss this isn't a site tech support question ya know =P Lucky for you its late Sunday night and i am enjoying a nice quiet bourbon after being out most of the day (I will be miving this and telling you where to go fnar fnar)

This is what you need to do for me.

1) Ensure you have the latest version of CEP 2) Make sure custom content is on
3) stop listening to people who have silly ideas about capital letters or not capital letters in a file extension causing you probs.
4) if you are downloading recolours for new meshes, make sure you actually have the meshes - this applies to objects and clothing
5) go and have a look at my Downloads Folder guide - if you are doing something different, let me know what it is so I can slap you

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.p...7841#post257841

6) is this also happening with zip files or is it only with items that come in rar files?
7) if the above is true instead of direct-clicking the rar file to download, righ-click and choose save-as (if using IE)
8) I don't like people uncompressing straight into game/program folders - try and get into the habit of having a folder on your desk to unzip/unrar into first THEN moving the content to the correct place. Its also means you can have a quick look at what you are putting into your game rather than blindly putting anything in. (I also advocate scanning with S2CPI before putting them in downloads - who knows wtf people might load up)
9) believe me there is an explanation if your game was that rooted that it wouldn't see your custom content - it wouldn't be able to read the files for the Maxis content either as they are in the same format.
10) when you have done all of the above and its still not working - pm me I will give you a valid bank account number and I will help you further

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Apr 2005 at 6:34 PM
still no progress and i've tried EVERYTHING
Pasta Rasta
#19 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 12:56 AM
Loverat is very correct, Windows is not case sensitive in file names. Look in your downloads folder, make sure that the *.package file is in there, not folders. Some content will work in folders while others will not.