Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:44 PM
Default will DLC kill customization?
is anyone else afraid that, with the recent news that dowloadable content will be available online for The Sim 3 that they will make generating our own content impossible?

or is there anyone that could confirm that it wont change anything?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:53 PM
I was so wondering what DLC was...downloadable content, go figure.
Theorist
#3 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:57 PM
Are you talking about The Sims 3 store? I'm confused, but either way the modding community will figure out some way to make custom content for The Sims 3, it's not like we had SimPE from the beginning.
#4 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nEEkoh.
is anyone else afraid that, with the recent news that dowloadable content will be available online for The Sim 3 that they will make generating our own content impossible?

or is there anyone that could confirm that it wont change anything?

You want a quick and dirty answer?

http://thesims2store.ea.com/

Micrortansactions exists for TS2 already. Did it kill it? Check for Fallout 3. They will release at least 3 DLC and they still provide awesome customizing tools. With Oblivion, they released approx. 8 DLC. Tools were also available. Half-life 2, they release multiple expansion packs and still released the map making and part of the source code for the modders.

TS2 had official downloadable things. They'll still release expansions pack. If they follow the DLC trend, they might do multiple small updates but if you asks me, they were the one that invented small content expansion with the Stuff Pack. I think they will provide way to get all this online faster and more easily. That's my bet.

Is it the end of custom content? lol..

It all depends of what you mean by custom content. As far as I know, they keep advertising they're making the exchance a lot more powerful and will allow you to transfer the Restyling you do with CAST. Is it the end of other custom content website that ask you to pay for downloads? Maybe .
Theorist
#5 Old 1st May 2009 at 5:19 AM
Unless all of the programming is hard-coded into the execution file, custom content will proliferate, just as it has in both previous games. EA knows what a boon the massive amount of CC available is to sales. If they programmed to allow absolutely no player created custom content they would basically be slitting their own throats profit-wise.
Instructor
#6 Old 1st May 2009 at 4:31 PM
The ONLY thing I dislike about ts3 is that we're going to be subjected to the online store.

I'm just wondering if EA has something against the simmers who don't purchase things online (or even have no access to the internet at all). I don't have a credit card, and after my sister getting money stolen off her paypal account I don't have one of those either anymore. I am completely unable to purchase anything from their store.

I have been a loyal simmer for many years, and will be for many years to come. I have bought EVERY EP and EVERY SP they have released. I love collecting all things sim on my computer, and it really gets to me that there is going to be downloadable content that I have no way of getting to (short of piracy, which I would really prefer to avoid).

I just don't see why they can't keep releasing everything in the form of Stuff Packs... that way instead of paying 50 dollars for a single mesh, we can pay 50 dollars for a collection of new meshes.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and tells me just to not shop there, let me reiterate; The problem isn't that they're selling things in the store, it's that I can't BUY the things they're selling.

I hope they take all their store items and periodically release them in retail stores... just so I can get my hands on them. Especially when Custom Content starts playing a role.

More on topic; I don't think DLC will kill CC for the reason I stated above. Not everyone can purchase things online. DLC will be ridiculously expensive, I'm sure, whereas CC is usually free for anyone (and often looks/works better than anything EA throws together). It will take a few months but I know someone will figure out how to get CC into the game and then it's only a matter of time before we're all downloading junkies again.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st May 2009 at 4:53 PM
EA's already said that they know we'll figure out how to make our own content. DLC is irrelevant to the modding community - if the game's worth playing, it'll be worth modding, and everything we've heard about it suggests it will indeed be moddable. They wouldn't have invited folks to the creator's camp and such if they were intending to lock down the game for custom content.

But never let facts get in the way of a good rumour-fueled panic.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#8 Old 1st May 2009 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
EA's already said that they know we'll figure out how to make our own content. DLC is irrelevant to the modding community - if the game's worth playing, it'll be worth modding, and everything we've heard about it suggests it will indeed be moddable. They wouldn't have invited folks to the creator's camp and such if they were intending to lock down the game for custom content.

Best post ever.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 3rd May 2009 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

As long as you keep to that, I think we'll all be alright... :D

Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th May 2009 at 9:15 PM
i was mostly afraid they would make downloading CC a chore instead of it being as simple as dragging some files to the 'downloads' folder.