Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 12:19 PM
Default problem with platform tool
I am attempting to build a gazebo using the platform tool, I have built the platform with diagonal edges and then put a fence around the edge. The problem is that with just one side of the platform, the fence absolutely will not go on top of the platform but insists on going across the ground instead. This only happens on the one edge which makes the fencing uneven.

I have tried everything I can think of to work around it, including drawing the platform out further than I want it, then putting the fence across that edge and then deleting the extra platform but the game then will not allow me to delete the platform that connects to the edge where the fence is. I tried deleting it by using the tool + ctrl as well as the sledgehammer.

I demolished the entire thing, leveled the ground, put down flooring and then rebuilt the platform and the same thing happens, with exactly the same edge.

I am fully patched and I did also try it without any cc loaded, using a wall instead of the fence and the wall behaves the same way.

I don't get it.

kittens!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 8:24 PM
that plattform thingi has it's own set of rules. What about just raising the ground a couple of clicks?
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 9:40 PM
I didn't think of it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out when I can get in game next and let ya know.

kittens!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 10:38 PM
Also have you tried drawing that section of fence in the other direction?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 11:37 PM Last edited by wickedblue : 15th Dec 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Yes, I tried several times from each direction.

Edit: I just tried raising the ground up and that will not work. It looks messy plus I can't level the ground without the fence going back down.

Also, out of curiosity, I tried to build it in a different spot on the lot and it behaves the same way, with exactly the same side. Then I loaded up a new lot, completely empty and tried it there, same thing.

kittens!
dodgy builder
#6 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 10:11 PM
Yes, lots of things behave differently on a spesific angle. Not one of those things I store on my mind though. I just sigh and try a workaround. *tired laughter*
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 10:23 PM
What about if you make that bit of the platform stick out beyond where you want it (or add a bit), then do the fence, then destroy the unwanted bit of platform?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 4:09 AM
That was one of the things I tried to do before I posted. While it worked in getting the fence at the right height, it wouldn't let me delete the pieces of the platform that were connected to the fence. I tried it with ctrl+tool as well as sledgehammer, both give me a "can't do that" message.

kittens!
dodgy builder
#9 Old 16th Dec 2011 at 5:46 AM
What about just having 1 tile extra around the hole thing? Then it looks like it should be that way?
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 7:52 AM
How did you get the platform on an angle? I can't seem to figure this one out.