Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2017 at 11:47 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Extending roof eating away roof on floor below (diag/octag shape house)
Hey everyone.

I decided to try to recreate this house:
http://www.bambooliving.com/index.p...m/villa-2240-sb
'TRY' being the operative word here, because it's been a pain in the rear end so far. But I've conquered issues with the foundation and the shape of the house.

My problem now is that I have this situation:

I'm trying to get a pagoda roof on top of the octagonal second floor. If possible, I would want the eaves to extend a little, so I can support them with the tropical colums that came with ST. . But whenever I try to add a roof, it cuts into the roof below. This happens even before the roof reaches the edges of the orange wood.

It even happens when I make the octagonal room a story higher. This obviously mucks up my entire idea with his house, but it also means there is no way to roof this shape house, unless I stick to one floor only (and if at all possible, I REALLY want that second floor as an 'observatory')

HALP! Does anyone know how to tame this roofing issue? Thanks

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 21st May 2017 at 1:27 PM
Unfortunately, this is somewhat normal behavior for roofs in my experience.

I would remove the roofs below, then put the octagonal pagoda up. Then try adding the lower roofs back, stopping at the point where they start getting silly holes.

Once you have that part done, you can play games with the rest of it to see if you can come up with something that suits the build.

Don't forget that you do have half-roofs that you can play with, too.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2017 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Unfortunately, this is somewhat normal behavior for roofs in my experience.

I would remove the roofs below, then put the octagonal pagoda up. Then try adding the lower roofs back, stopping at the point where they start getting silly holes.

Once you have that part done, you can play games with the rest of it to see if you can come up with something that suits the build.

Don't forget that you do have half-roofs that you can play with, too.

I have tried to leave the pagoda, then add the lower roofs, but unfortunately they come with holes immediately.

I don't think I'm familiar with half roofs... it doesn't help that my computer ahs always insisted on installing the game in Dutch, even if I select English, so sometimes I get stuck on what English terms translate to in my game. What are half roofs, and how do they work?

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer..

Grandpa Joost 1996 †
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:54 PM
I think that this issue cropped up with Seasons, or the accompanying patch, respectively. Probably a change that resulted from roofs having to gather snow in winter. At least I am pretty sure that roofs behaved in a different way up until and including Supernatural. And it also affects houses built before Seasons as one can see in some older EA towns, so I guess that this is now default and universal behaviour and cannot be avoided.
Site Helper
#6 Old 21st May 2017 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annique
What are half roofs, and how do they work?

If you check the roof tools, there are some which produce a normal roof on one end and a flat wall at the other end. The one that is called a half-gable makes what is also known as a shed roof or a porch roof. The half-hipped roof is the one that makes a roof with one end looking like a hipped roof (with the triangular roof pieces that all join together) and the other end looking like a gable roof (Triangular wall at the end.) They can be hard to use, especially on a diagonal, but if you can get them to cooperate they do open up a few possibilities.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
dodgy builder
#7 Old 22nd May 2017 at 11:08 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 23rd May 2017 at 3:22 PM.
Someone called?

Hi Annique, the roof cutting into the roof below can be fixed in several ways, but I suggest you post this for the builders to see as nitromon mentioned. It's in the create menu above, Sims 3 and building. Traditional roofs are not my forte I'm afraid, and my game is in norwegian silly me. You can make it install through the launcher in English I think, but I didn't want the 1.69 patch so I couldn't do that. I even think it's an option in the launcher to change the language now, at least it asked me for advice earlier, again I didn't want 1.69 so...

I would probably just lift that part where you want your columns with cfe, it's the easiest, but can be a bit buggy. Friezes can also be buggy, but they can lift a plattform. If you want it to be accessible, doesn't the game have a ladder or something? If you lift it with cfe, there is no limit to what our little robots can do to that roof, but if you want it to look right ... even though they shouldn't be able to. I believe the angle of the roof can also be adjusted, but you have tested that right?

Edit: Ah, I have to stop commenting on pictures on my mobile, because I can't see the problem. I can see the buggy gaps you have in the ceiling now on my stationary, but it doesn't change much I'm afraid. We've had some threads about it on the building forum, and you might find some help there, but again it's a known bug, so it very much depends on if you find the right person home.