Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 4:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Patterns not showing up and other CC issues?
Hello all, so, um, I hope this is the right place to post this. I apologize if it isn't, but I'm not sure where else to post this and this seems like a good place for it. So lately I've been having some weird issues with my game, particularly with custom content. It started yesterday or there about, with my game consistently not letting me log in. I could log in fine on the EA website and in the launcher, but not in the game proper. So I followed the steps listed here by crinrict: https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-...or/td-p/1987869 and deleted my cache files and that seemed to solve my problem. I launched the game and was able to log in again! But now all the patterns I downloaded from the Exchange and other websites are gone, and when I checked Installed Content there was nothing there (save for two custom lots I downloaded and the Business and Usual Bistro from the EA store.) Everything else, all the patterns, objects, clothes, etc. that I had downloaded from the Exchange, TSR, etc. were gone! So were the rest of my Store items. I guess on the bright side, I can start over now. I had a lot of unnecessary CC cluttering up my game so I guess now I can start fresh. But still, I would like to know why this has happened and how to prevent it from happening again. Could it be the work of a hacker? God, I really hope not! I've always had issues with some of the items from the Exchange (especially clothing) showing up blank in my game, even though the patterns did indeed download properly, but this is definitely something new. (Btw by blank I mean the clothes would show up in CAS as just textureless gray/white although the clothing/object itself was left intact and the pattern that came with it would show up under Create-A-Style.) Anyway, any help solving this would be much appreciated! Once again, I hope this is the right place to post this. Thanks!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Um... you ... you didn't delete "dccache" files did you?

ro-oh!

Uhh, I read that it was okay to delete those. Why? Am I screwed?
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 10:37 AM
If you didn't delete that folder (I hope you didn't) - the other thing it could be is you have "run without custom content" button checked (located on the launcher).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
DCCACHE is where all your custom contents from Sim3packs etc... or online exchange installations are stored, with exceptions to lots which are stored in your library folder.

Is it in your trash bin? Can you restore them?

It's too late... I deleted most of it... Dammit, now I have to start all over. *sigh* Well, thanks for answering my question nonetheless. Well, like I said, on the bright side, I guess it gives me a chance to start fresh... damn. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 12:33 AM
Perhaps an explanation of what the different file types in DCCache are might help for the future?

dbc files - These are your Launcher installed sims3pack items, in automatically arranged bundles.

ebc files - These are your Launcher installed TS3 store content items, also in automatically arranged bundles. The "e" stands for "encrypted." Note that for premium content TS3 store items in particular, there is also a required file called ccmerged.package to make them work but just to be confusing it lives in the DCBackup folder.

dcc.ent and missingdeps.idx - These are index files and, like normal cache files, will regenerate if they are deleted.

tmp files - These are expendable garbage that, at one time, the game would clean up all by itself after a game session ends successfully. One of the later patches broke the cleanup procedure. They can be deleted, but will keep coming back if the Launcher is used to start the game. Those who can still use Launcher bypasses (on 1.67) won't see these unless they startup the Launcher on purpose. They do not need to be backed up.