Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 5:39 PM
I had a look through pb's downloads and can't see the note I mentioned - sorry. However, please note it's not a one action fix - you'd have to lay down a stage tile/square for every affected window. I don't know about anyone else but I'd be royally PO if I had to go through an entire lot I'd downloaded making a correction for every affected window. In my game, I'm afraid it'd be a short route to getting the lot deleted.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 7:06 PM
Hmmm... If I can't find a solution then, I think what I'll do is finish the lot as is, save the file, then make a copy and get rid of all the ivy, and upload both, so people can choose between a properly ivy-clad building, and one that'll be less problematic to get set up...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#28 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
@plasticbox , any chance you could help me out here?

I've tried to read up but I'm a bit lost I have to admit (I haven't touched TS2 in years) -- what exactly do you need help with, can you try to re-hash? You have custom content ivy there that is messing with the windows? I guess what I'd do is try to fix the ivy .. either re-clone from a curtain or check what the difference is and change that in the ivy. I don't remember enough about TS2 CC to be able to tell what that difference is exactly, though (in TS4 it would be the "allow intersection" stuff in the FTPT, if TS4 had this issue).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:10 PM
No CC, that's the standard EAxis ivy, just placed more judiciously than I think they'd expected it to be... And apparently it causes the windows to display incorrectly, not providing a view through the wall, but instead just having the object portion of the window jutting out from it, like in maxon's screenshot above. She'd suggested that you had found a solution or a workaround of some sort in the past, and I was hoping it might be able to help out with this problem... if not, I can always just use the fallback I mentioned earlier.

Also, hooray! I heard back from RRU about the turret today! And boo! it was used as a ballroom, accessed by a stairway that there's no way to execute properly in this lot! I'll have to think on this for a bit before I decide how to handle it, I suppose...

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#30 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:17 PM
I believe what maxon might have been thinking of was basement windows? Sloped ground outside windows also messed with the window wallmasks IIRC; the fix (again IIRC) was to grab the window and let go again, thus prompting the game to render the cutouts correctly. I probably posted about that every now and then in the comment section of my uploads with basements.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#31 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 8:21 PM
Yes, that's right Plasticbox but this is the same issue - something cutting across the 'live' area of the window and causing the masks not to display properly. And the fix is the same though grabbing the window doesn't always work. Placing a square of stage near the window does work and will also force the wall mask to display properly. I'm pretty sure I got that from you at some point. With your builds it was only 2-3 windows at most though. The problem here is that is it many windows.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#32 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 9:49 PM
Well it's not quite the same thing, as terrain is not an object .. if one would look at the curtains one could probably see why they leave the cutouts alone when other objects don't. It probably wouldn't hurt the ivy if it'd behave the same way.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 3:16 PM
And now I'm running into wall limits... fantastic...

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#34 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 4:40 PM
Yeah that's a problem with big builds.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 12:13 AM
OK, I'm close to done with everything at this point... took your advice on quite a few points (the dining room especially looks better now, IMHO), and thanks to the archivist I've been corresponding with at RRU, I have a semi-accurate ballroom on the top (real)floor of the turret, and a semi-concealed staircase to get to it, so the inhabitants of the house won't have to pass through the servant's quarters to reach it (It's hidden in the area around the central chimneys, rather than in one of the small turrets at the front of the house as it is in reality, but c'est la vie- that wouldn't have worked in TS2), as well as slightly altered elements in various other rooms. Still can't decide how to treat the Living Room... the bar wasn't there when the family was, but if I try to make it more period-appropriate, it'll start feeling very much the same as the library/smoking room next door.

I'm still not finding an elegant solution to the problem of the ivy, so I think I'll still be using the two-version upload, giving people a choice between a ready-to-play, ivy-free lot, and one with the ivy present, and potentially glitched windows that need fixing first, but a more true-to-life building.

The one thing I'm still hung up on is the kitchen though... The floorplans and various articles RRU has linked me to aren't much help, since all they show is the one small section of counter where the sinks are positioned, and mention the kitchen wing being "a marvel of daintiness and modern appointments," but the room is big enough for so much more, and I'm not having any real inspiration there... any thoughts from anyone on how to make a period-appropriate main room for the kitchen wing? I've already got a pantry, wine cellar, and a butler's pantry, so the only must-have item in the main kitchen is a stove and oven... but a prep table seems like a good option to take up space, and there's certainly other possiblities... thoughts?

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#36 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 3:01 AM
Big table to work on and a dresser.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 3rd Dec 2015 at 6:49 PM
OK, here's a close-to-final if not actually final draft... I'm still not wild about the kitchen, but I'm not sure how better to handle it. Probably the biggest change (aside from the completed turret interior) is the living room- I did decide to drop the pub bar, since I was able to get a photo of the living room during the Dunsmuir family's occupancy of the house- let me know what you think of it too please!

And of course, any other feedback from anyone who feels so inclined is more than welcome too!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Hatley Castle Draft 4.zip (3.70 MB, 28 downloads) - View custom content

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 29th Dec 2015 at 11:06 PM Last edited by Zarathustra : 3rd Jan 2016 at 2:41 AM.
Getting the final lot prepped at this point, probably upload it a little after New Year's- any last-minute thoughts or suggestions?

EDIT: And, away it goes! The lot is available for download now, for anyone who's interested! Thank you guys all for your help!

Page 2 of 2