Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#51 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 9:35 PM Last edited by CardinalSims : 22nd Jan 2024 at 10:01 PM.
EDIT: Before any of the below, I actually just opened your .blend and found the issue. It's the reference geom. Wherever it came from / how it was exported, it's broken and has bad .geom data. I get the same error after using it, and it exports fine if I used a random .geom I already had.
Here's a hat GEOM (they're just bows) for you to use: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rR...iew?usp=sharing
Problem solved?

-

A lot of mismatched things seem to be setting in concrete here.
1. If you didn't know how to remove backfaces, the manual bone assignments weren't being done on the kind of mesh LadySmoks was talking about from the start.
2. Truly you can forget ever using .fbx , it has nothing to do TS3 projects it was purely a suggestion for not losing your 4.0 work. Trash this step, I beg!

I think it may be easier if we start at square one, so you aren't trying to implement old steps unrelated to bone assignment to the instructions that are being given that were purely to help with only that one topic.
If you would like to share the textures that go with that mesh, I can turn it into a complete hat hair- with auto-bones and no morphs for now. I can provide screenshots of every step if you want to learn how I did it, but as noted I don't use TSRW and it won't match anything you've seen documented (because I invented it and haven't written the tutorial yet :p). So, instructions are optional. But you'll have the item in 90% completion.

Then, I will take screenshots of removing the backfaces and send you the .package and the one-sided mesh. It will then be in your hands to do the manual bone assignments on that mesh. I will provide instructions for how to use it as a reference for the .package. If you have trouble exporting it at that stage, you can give me the .blend again to see what is wrong. But all of those other steps that are related to making the hair in general will hopefully be out of your mind by this step because it will already be done.

Morphs can be done last, either with the mannequin auto-morph mentioned in #49 or manually (which is very easy for hair, imo). But we can also set this aside until we get to that bridge- the project isn't going to explode if it has no morphs. Sound good?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#52 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
A lot of mismatched things seem to be setting in concrete here.
1. If you didn't know how to remove backfaces, the manual bone assignments weren't being done on the kind of mesh LadySmoks was talking about from the start.
2. Truly you can forget ever using .fbx , it has nothing to do TS3 projects it was purely a suggestion for not losing your 4.0 work. Trash this step, I beg!

I think it may be easier if we start at square one, so you aren't trying to implement old steps unrelated to bone assignment to the instructions that are being given that were purely to help with only that one topic.
If you would like to share the textures that go with that mesh, I can turn it into a complete hat hair- with auto-bones and no morphs for now. I can provide screenshots of every step if you want to learn how I did it, but as noted I don't use TSRW and it won't match anything you've seen documented (because I invented it and haven't written the tutorial yet :p). So, instructions are optional. But you'll have the item in 90% completion.

Then, I will take screenshots of removing the backfaces and send you the .package and the one-sided mesh. It will then be in your hands to do the manual bone assignments on that mesh. I will provide instructions for how to use it as a reference for the .package. If you have trouble exporting it at that stage, you can give me the .blend again to see what is wrong. But all of those other steps that are related to making the hair in general will hopefully be out of your mind by this step because it will already be done.

Morphs can be done last, either with the mannequin auto-morph mentioned in #49 or manually (which is very easy for hair, imo). But we can also set this aside until we get to that bridge- the project isn't going to explode if it has no morphs. Sound good?

I don't know, i feel like it's gonna make me confused even further, but you can try, i just don't want you to get disappointed when it ends up being too much for me, i would like to see what it is nonetheless.
This is getting very very overstimulating and overwhelming, i just wanna know why my mesh isn't being exported with bones. Please please i just wanna know why and how to make it export. I was given very valuable instructions and tutorials in which i applied, I don't wanna seem like I'm ungrateful for them (because I AM grateful), but right now i feel like I'm being given a lot of information all at once instead of focusing on the problem itself. For me it looks like the process is going smooth except the bones aren't exporting. That's all i need to know.
Screenshots
Instructor
#53 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 10:13 PM
We crossed over a little bit, I've just edited my comment where I discovered the export issue
Test Subject
Original Poster
#54 Old 22nd Jan 2024 at 11:11 PM
Thank you So, i imported the reference and (i assume that's what i was supposed to do) is transfer the .geom data into my mesh from the reference, then recalculate ID's, tried to export my mesh after that, An error popped up again.

Oh and, the reference i had, it's the pigtails. I exported from TSR workshop, imported the .wso into milkshape (i know, this was before i knew milkshape was useless and everything) exported that into a .geom and imported into blender.
Screenshots
Instructor
#55 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 1:28 AM
I recorded a video of the exact steps I used to export it without issue, the important things here are probably what exactly is selected and being in Object Mode (just guessing): https://youtu.be/xyDHTZKDPRE

In the future, to get a .geom that hasn't been damaged by switching format you can clone an item with S3OC and then export the mesh out directly from S3PE. No conversions required, data intact.

Also I need to note that for this specific hair, another issue you'll have to tend to is that because this one has actual hair those parts need to be separated from the hat. Hat hairs with visible hair have two groups that use two different shaders. That's another thing that made the original project a little easier to tackle. But hopefully both will go more smoothly if we can get this export working!
The meshes themselves are very beautiful, I'm honestly envious! Meshing clothing from scratch is the next big journey I want to take on.
Forum Resident
#56 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 3:55 AM
I'm just going to let you guys go for it. OP is confused already, and really hasn't done much of what I said, after getting stuck on data transfer, instead of using MTK. I'm going to build another FemmeBot or two.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Instructor
#57 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 4:53 AM
To be fair, the data transfer being referred to here is a perfectly valid way to create a .geom also and a real issue was causing it to fail.
I also probably missed if MTK's OBJ to GEOM conversion was ever mentioned in some of the previous comments, but yes if OP still has issues with Blender that is an option as well. They would just need to redo all that work on the bones, and it's looking quite beautiful from what I saw in the .blend

Converting back and forth between obj - geom - wso a few dozen times sounds like an awfully roundabout way to get things done, but I sympathise with the fact it's what the majority of documentation out there calls for. I also curse whoever it is that is too busy to finish writing new documentation The audacity!
Forum Resident
#58 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
To be fair, the data transfer being referred to here is a perfectly valid way to create a .geom also and a real issue was causing it to fail.
I also probably missed if MTK's OBJ to GEOM conversion was ever mentioned in some of the previous comments, but yes if OP still has issues with Blender that is an option as well. They would just need to redo all that work on the bones, and it's looking quite beautiful from what I saw in the .blend

Converting back and forth between obj - geom - wso a few dozen times sounds like an awfully roundabout way to get things done, but I sympathise with the fact it's what the majority of documentation out there calls for. I also curse whoever it is that is too busy to finish writing new documentation The audacity!

If what I do is followed correctly, I have never needed to "create" a geom using Blender. Everything is imported as geom, with UV and bones, worked as I require, then export as both object for clean mesh and geom for reference.

Converting object to geom, adding bones and converting to .wso in MTK, takes as long as it did for you to read about doing it that way.

It's the basics of how I do projects like this...

Granted, far more complicated in both structure and bone assignment than a hat, with a bit more work involved, but the underlying process remains the same, and the results are what they are.

Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#59 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
I'm just going to let you guys go for it. OP is confused already, and really hasn't done much of what I said, after getting stuck on data transfer, instead of using MTK. I'm going to build another FemmeBot or two.

I followed what i could. You told me to clean up the mesh because marvelous designer is trash, did that. I followed your boning tutorial in blender, told me to switch to blender 2.80, did that. You told me to import a .geom, The things that you told me to do is because i didn't understood them or i was trying to do another thing you asked of me, and i could've asked, that's true, i'm sorry about that. But i want you to remember the times YOU first started being a mesher and how confusing that was. I did MTK .obj to .geom.. and it didn't work. I know i didn't post about the MTK it because i was trying the tutorial you sent and i got turned around on that. Even pulled the .geom from the package file and when i imported it into blender, just a dot imported.

I try to follow your instructions but I'm getting error messages after error messages and stuff like this (screenshot). I don't mean to be offensive, but i want you to understand why i'm frustrated and why it looks like i'm not following instructions, because i literally can not.

It's okay if you don't wanna help me anymore, but don't say I didn't do much of what you said.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gprz...e2.simgeom/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ysn7...2/hlod.obj/file
Screenshots
Instructor
#60 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 9:54 PM
If you'd like to skip the export issues for now and see if it clears up on a future project, here's the .geom I exported in the video with all your bone assignments intact: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d6...iew?usp=sharing
You can use this as the auto-bones reference as previously described.

And for any future projects, I'd gladly guide you step by step from the start on how to make hat-hairs- I always need opportunities to take screenshots and revise for my tutorials anyway. Either in a new thread, feel free to @ me on any hair related topics or send me a PM
Forum Resident
#61 Old 23rd Jan 2024 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karuttiae
I followed what i could. You told me to clean up the mesh because marvelous designer is trash, did that. I followed your boning tutorial in blender, told me to switch to blender 2.80, did that. You told me to import a .geom, The things that you told me to do is because i didn't understood them or i was trying to do another thing you asked of me, and i could've asked, that's true, i'm sorry about that. But i want you to remember the times YOU first started being a mesher and how confusing that was. I did MTK .obj to .geom.. and it didn't work. I know i didn't post about the MTK it because i was trying the tutorial you sent and i got turned around on that. Even pulled the .geom from the package file and when i imported it into blender, just a dot imported.

I try to follow your instructions but I'm getting error messages after error messages and stuff like this (screenshot). I don't mean to be offensive, but i want you to understand why i'm frustrated and why it looks like i'm not following instructions, because i literally can not.

It's okay if you don't wanna help me anymore, but don't say I didn't do much of what you said.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gprz...e2.simgeom/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ysn7...2/hlod.obj/file

I never wrote to just convert object to geom and try to import it to Blender. I wrote, "I import to Blender as geom (because it holds the bones), do my work, and export as object because the mesh is cleaner, AND as geom, because it holds my custom bones. I then convert the object that I exported to geom, using my custom mesh bones, that I exported as a reference, then add bones in MTK, again using the geom with custom bones as reference. THAT new geom is the one, then converted to .wso. Morphs added with the custom made mannequin, then imported to TSRW.

The nun hat that I did, I used your mesh (geom), with those bones you had from using the hotdog hat as a reference. I stripped the hotdog bones and painted new bones... on your original geom.

And yes, if you didn't understand something, you probably should have asked, because you went completely wrong on step one... import your geom.

And yes, I remember when I started. That's why I didn't just make it and give it to you. You can't learn that way. And when I was learning (still am, truth be told) I asked questions.

Page 3 of 3