Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 1:45 PM
Default Black spots/shadows on ripped mesh?
I've used 3D Ripper DX to extract a character model from Guild Wars 2 because I want to convert the hair for Sims 2(private use).
When importing the .obj into Milkshape the model is completely black and usually to solve this I either do Align Normals or Smooth All(in faces). While it removes the blackness from the model, it instead makes it spotty..if that makes any sense. Look at the image below.
The odd thing about this is that the black spots ONLY appear on the hair, not on the full model. The face and everything else looks just fine. Either way, since I don't need the rest of the model, I've simply deleted it and saves the hair as it's own mesh.
I've included the .obj and ms3d of the full model in a zip file if anyone wants to take a look.

I really have no idea how to get rid of the black spots..I've aligned, smoothed, mirrored..
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mts help zip.zip (445.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: obj and ms3d
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 6:37 PM
If this is a multi-piece mesh, the first thing I would try is selecting each piece separately and aligning the normals for each one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 9:24 PM
With the risk of sounding stupid, by multi-piece mesh, do you mean as in more than one group? When I used 3D Ripper DX to extract the mesh, the hair did indeed come in two groups which looked exactly the same. It didn't make a difference whether or not I deleted one of them. I tried using another program called ninjaripper instead, and with that one the hair came out as one group. Still, didn't make a difference.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 7:52 PM
Yes, I mean a mesh with multiple groups. So... if there are only one or two groups, you may have to chop it up yourself. But it's hard for me to say, because I don't know what the finished product is supposed to look like!

Normals can be really tricky and you'll get those weird black areas if you try to align them all at once. That's why I suggested doing the normals in separate sections. Even then, you'll have to be careful, because you may end up with visible lines where the pieces touch each other.