Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 2:15 PM
Default Should I play on mac or windows laptop
ok so I'm currently trying to play sims with most of the expansion packs on my mac and it keeps crashing due to lack of RAM (normally when I try and open CAS), I've read that this is a game problem and there's not much that can be done. I was thinking of playing it on my Windows laptop, however my laptop processor only has 2.30-2.40GHz and it uses an intergraded graphics card (Intel HD 520). Would it be worth me trying to run it on my laptop?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:02 PM
Install and find out? If the base game runs well, add more and test? If not, you know the answer is no. And people used to check with system lab's can I run it, I think it is called.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 4:54 PM
One thing I'd have to say, is that after I bootcamped my computer and I actually have been playing the sims ever since on it (On windows in this case of course ) Since I noticed that the mac version had issues rendering. Even without CC or a HQ mod, it would give me these gray furniture when going back to my sim's home, or any different location. The performance of the game sure got a boost! And I remember back when I did play with mods on a mac, I had to keep a limit of CC in order to make it run. For example, if I went over about 150 packages in my mods folder, it wouldn't even start up. With the windows version, (and this is with and without merging the packages. Both for mac and windows) It just starts without any issue.

Another thing is that, and I still don't know why, is that they game does read the ini files whereas the mac version doesn't.

So I think it will be fine for you! Especially since I still have a gen 3 intel graphics card (I know, it's time to upgrade to a better desktop computer :P)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
how many cores and how much ram? Actually, can you post the specs?

yep, sorry for late response turns out i made two different accounts at some point and have been checking the wrong account...
im not sure whats useful so im gonna post it all the cpu: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) and ram: 8GB, is that all you need?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Nov 2017 at 7:40 PM Last edited by invisiblebunny125 : 7th Nov 2017 at 8:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
One thing I'd have to say, is that after I bootcamped my computer and I actually have been playing the sims ever since on it (On windows in this case of course ) Since I noticed that the mac version had issues rendering. Even without CC or a HQ mod, it would give me these gray furniture when going back to my sim's home, or any different location. The performance of the game sure got a boost! And I remember back when I did play with mods on a mac, I had to keep a limit of CC in order to make it run. For example, if I went over about 150 packages in my mods folder, it wouldn't even start up. With the windows version, (and this is with and without merging the packages. Both for mac and windows) It just starts without any issue.

Another thing is that, and I still don't know why, is that they game does read the ini files whereas the mac version doesn't.

So I think it will be fine for you! Especially since I still have a gen 3 intel graphics card (I know, it's time to upgrade to a better desktop computer :P)

I did actually consider using bootcamp but my macs so old it only supports Windows 7 and there aren't really any buying options that seem legit (and it only has 4GB of RAM so it probably wouldn't help much).
Edit: the reason I'm being so careful is because my WIFI rarely goes above 2GB/s and at its lowest is 600KB/s
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Nov 2017 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That actually is pretty much perfect for Sims 3. I think the i5-6200 2.3gHz turbos at 3.1gHz. You mentioned the mac only has 4GB of RAM? That won't work, it will cache and lag. Play on this one.
thanks very much for your time, i was worried i'd screw up my laptop (the macs old so I wasn't as fussed) I'll start downloading it now