Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#27 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
I thought about this recently. Some might would say yes if the same team that worked on TS3 were involved, but I'm honestly not so sure. You have to think that for better or worse, this game was released 10 years ago. A lot has changed with games in general since then.

I really don't think EA would give them the sort of autonomy (heh) that they had even then. If you look at TS4 in particular, the problem there is that there is no unified vision for what the game is supposed to be about. Is it a life simulator? Party simulator? RPG-Lite (StrangerVille, multiple skills, secret lots)? Should the game allow creative freedom or rules set by the devs? And the biggest problem imo is that the game itself has too many producers and not enough people who know how to actually get things functional in the first place, if the growing list of bugs is anything to go by.

Although TS3 wasn't perfect, some packs didn't quite hit the mark, etc it still knew what it was. The game was built around open world and story progression. The packs revolved around this theme and worked for the most part with some hiccups along the way. But what was ambitious and innovative (for The Sims) would probably not work so well in EA's current gaming climate. The games as a service model wouldn't work well with a game like TS3, because it's perfectly playable on its own as a standalone before any packs. The packs themselves simply enrich the game itself and make it even better, but GAaS-type games rely on a steady stream of content to keep interest going. If people are simply buying one or two packs here and there when they feel like they need something new, EA would probably be seeing the game as a failure.

What do you guys think?

If the same team were involved, I would think yes and no.

Yes, because the concept of TS3 with it's open seamless world, story progression, CAS advancements and improvements, most realistic and human-like behavior pertaining to the A.I., to me, in a Sims game, etc would all still be the focal point of the game.

No, because after messaging TS3 A.I. designer awhile ago, he mentioned how he would love to create an even more ambitious A.I. system for The Sims. Perhaps similar to his game that he worked on after TS3 which was Versu. He told me that TS3 is like a limited version of that A.I. system in Versu and then was kind enough to share a document and allow me to read everything that went into Versu and explained some examples he used from when working on TS3. One of the issues though was about limited animations and how everything he wanted to implement just really couldn't be done because of how time consuming, expensive, etc that would be but nonetheless enjoyed his time working on TS3 and wouldn't mind developing a new but more ambitious A.I. system. So basically, I think TS3 would be a lot more advanced and improved from 2009 if it were released much later with all the constant technological advances. Like ray-tracing though that has been around for a long time but now being more prominent in use of some of the latest video games.

EA/Maxis is literally sitting on a goldmine but only cares for quick cash grabs than put in the time, effort and resources nowadays. If TS3 was the first Sims game to get recreated from the ground up with a powerful, optimized and versatile game engine, is 64-bit, is aimed toward the hardcore players and those with high-end computers that can support all the latest tech the game needs to run well without holding back any potential. And obviously would support all the latest GPU's and monitor resolutions, etc. Well, TS3 would be so much more of a gaming legend than it already is...to me. And let's have a separate division again just for TS3 and bring back The Sims Studio or rename it to The Sims 3 Studio.

The Sims 3: Revisited

And of course, the same A.I. designer should also design the A.I. Besides, even though he said TS3 is a limited version of his A.I. compared to Versu, TS3's A.I. is always finding ways to surprise me and does such a great job at imitating human behavior and is so entertaining that I'm still playing this game after 10+ years.

Still.Not.Bored.

Oh, and I'm just going to guess it was Rod Humble who may have chose Richard Evans so...yeah I love World Adventures too and would love to bring him back too if ever a future TS3 remake was ever a serious project. Or hint, hint forget The Sims and do your own realistic life simulator and let it be rated M for Mature. This one would be for the adults and no nothing like Singles: Flirt up your Life. I want meaningful and thought-provoking gameplay that is also entertaining and even educational too like bank loans/interest rates, mortgages, living on your own and all the expenses, etc. that entails...all that plus an abundance more of realistic and mature features. And consequences is something I would like to see more of.

I can dream....
Page 2 of 2