Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 6:41 PM Last edited by leo06girl : 6th Mar 2017 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Default Disney's first gay character
I really don't get what the problem is with Beauty and the Beast having Disney's first character. It's not like they're going to show some big gay orgy or anything like that. So personally, I think everyone getting worked up over it and boycotting the movie is ridiculous.

What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 7:43 PM
I don't think it's the first one ever, but it's the first open one. I couldn't care less. It's really just normalizing sexuality for kids and making them feel more comfortable with it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 11:59 PM
Also, boycotting the movie only spreads hate and accomplishes nothing positive.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 3:24 AM
Do you have a trailer or anything in that? I haven't heard about it at all. Is this just in the us?
Theorist
#5 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 7:20 AM
Who the hell cares? We live in 2017, people. Just accept not everybody is straight and treat anyone with the respect you want to have. Live and let live. Best thing is to not focus on that character who apparently is gay. Enjoy the movie or don't.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
Who the hell cares? We live in 2017, people. Just accept not everybody is straight and treat anyone with the respect you want to have. Live and let live. Best thing is to not focus on that character who apparently is gay. Enjoy the movie or don't.

Completely agree on that. It just sounds odd to me to bother with other people's sexuality if you're not dating them, but I guess Disney don't usually make movies with "controversial" themes.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Do you have a trailer or anything in that? I haven't heard about it at all. Is this just in the us?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW_L8sTu5E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Nl_TCQXuw

Found these on YouTube.
Theorist
#8 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Completely agree on that. It just sounds odd to me to bother with other people's sexuality if you're not dating them, but I guess Disney don't usually make movies with "controversial" themes.

Doesn't surprise me. Disney is mostly focused on the children friendly market and children in general aren't really interested in these subjects. Probably just like now the focus comes from adults and (older) teens.

Literally the only difference between gay and straight is their sexual preference. For the rest are both groups the same. The average gay person has the same goals in life as the average straight person with the urge for the same things (e.g. being loved).

Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 10:29 AM
Disney has often had that "romantic" element in their movies, but even if they are moving away from that (as many other animated films from other studios are), simply having a character that is stated as gay is good for kids and society in general. The whole hate thing needs to go away and what better way than to bring it into more media where it is not seen as a big deal. BTW, Paranorman was gay and Gobber came out with an ad-libbed line in How To Train Your Dragon II that Dean Dublois liked and kept. There's a gay character in Captain Underpants the book, but we'll have to wait and see if they keep it that way for the upcoming movie.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 9:07 AM
Well, the One Million Mom's flipped out over this and Star vs. The Forces of Evil. Disney is technically reaching out to gay and lesbian parented children. I can only feel for this demographic because for as long as gay and lesbian couples had adoption rights, the children raised were usually​ subjected to see heterosexual couples and couldn't relate to child characters from shows involving heterosexual couples as the parents. Not only that, explaining to children that the world is filled with unique people means explaining people find love based on inner qualities, which is the central theme of Beauty and the Beast. Focusing on physical aspects to the point of hyperfocusing isn't healthy.

Besides, it's been rumored that Gaston was in the closet since the animated version and didn't care for Belle except to use as a facade to stay in the closet. It actually made sense when you couple the time period within the story with the history of Europe as homosexuality was a punishable offense when it was made illegal in 1523. As far as accuracy goes in the film as a whole concerning this theory, it's the only historically accurate part of the story.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
Doesn't surprise me. Disney is mostly focused on the children friendly market and children in general aren't really interested in these subjects.
That doesn't stop them making every film about a straight romance - they are moving away from that somewhat now, it's true, but whether they're right or wrong Disney have always assumed that children want to see romance on screen.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
#12 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Disney have always assumed that children want to see romance on screen.

I've always hated the romance and singing in Disney movies, whereas other kids loved it.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#13 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
That doesn't stop them making every film about a straight romance - they are moving away from that somewhat now, it's true, but whether they're right or wrong Disney have always assumed that children want to see romance on screen.

It's only straight, because billions of people refuge to life in 2017 and are being insulted, because of the love life of random other, completely irrelevant grown up people they don't know. Straight romance is a lot safer as a subject, because nobody gets insulted by random straight romance, except from a few depressed people like me. And for a long time during Disney's existence, even the nowadays most progressive places weren't safe place for LGTB people.

That (almost) every film is about romance, isn't limited to Disney, too. It's an addiction in Hollywood to give any movie, regardless the genre, a romantic layer, prefered with a happy end. Even your average action packed movie needs to have some love story. And does it only count for 100% made up stories? Of course not. Movies about the darkest events in human history (without any room for love!) get their share of romance, And to be honest, Dutch movies are worse. Only the locations and names of the characters differ, but for the rest, the actors and plots are just copies of the last movies. Of course, the only genre they shoot, is romantic comedy, in at least 99 out of 100 movies.

And I've seen some review of this movie. It's not even that positive. The male person mostly has some gayish/feminish features, not an outed gay, and it's still the bad guy from the movie.