Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2019 at 9:25 PM
Default 8-Sim Household
All about a household with 8 full sims (or even with pet): Have/are you played/ing any? Tips and tricks for playing the household? How do design/set up a house to accomadate that many Sims? What ties do sims usually have between each other or the backstory of coming and living together? *Insert any interesting story (all about this setting)*

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 10th May 2019 at 9:33 PM
19 sims in household (pets not counted) is enough? I posted even a picture once in that topic (that family was smaller at that point and despise description I managed to play this household for a while after). It was nightmare gameplay mode

//*never* play any "polygamy challenge" again *mumbling to himself*

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2019 at 9:53 PM
My pro tip (though sort of an obvious): have a small room (3x3) to accomadate two members, that has a single bathroom they can share (1 toilet, 1 shower). Add maybe two more toilet-bathrooms by the kitchen room.

dodgy builder
#4 Old 10th May 2019 at 10:56 PM
As a housebuilder sometimes playes the game with a storylines for 8 sims. I'm not sure I understand the problem. I had a polygamy storyline a few times. I just run a turnbased game when I have so many sims, it's easier to keep track that way.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2019 at 1:56 PM
So you let other 7 do their free will thing until it's one of their turn the next day?

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th May 2019 at 6:38 PM
NRaas Relativity has an option to slow down the time by n% when your household reaches x sims, which I find very helpful for situations in which you want to fully control anyone from a full house.

icarus' Set The Table & Call To Meal mod can help you make your sims' dining experience less chaotic by making them eat their food at the same time (and also clean after themselves), so you'll never forget if you fed everyone or not (watch out for babies, toddlers and pets though).

Another advice I have for you is to have at least one sim per those traits: Neat (if you also have laundry enabled, maybe throw in 2 of them), Natural Cook, Handy, Animal Lover or similar (if you'll have a pet). They will greatly help keeping the house organised and clean.

For other strategies, it just depends on what you want to optimize the most: space (have the smallest home possible), time (avoid bathroom, stairs, halls overcrowding) etc. What do you exactly want your sims to successfully accomplish?
Scholar
#7 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:36 PM
Part of the 100 Baby Challenge, I've had a household of more than 8 sims at times -- and they are all related. Usually I have the mom, and everyone being (half-)siblings, unless it's a rare occasion where mom is in the household with her own sibling(s).

The house setup depends. I've used bunk beds in standard-sized bedrooms (4x5 or 4x6), but I've also done single beds in one, long room (5x15). Though I usually give the latter at least two doorways. The living room/dining room/kitchen is usually one, big, central area, so there is not too big of a clogging issue when everyone needs to eat. Though having two fridges ends up making me notice more problems than solutions, since they seem to share the inventory.

Bathrooms depend on what I have installed. With IP (or ITF), I tend to make one of the 'first' purchases when enough money is there an All-In-One-Bathroom. They take care of bladder and hygiene in one go, may not give the 'Exhiliarating Shower' moodlet, but don't take too long, and don't take up much space. (Plus, they are a Woohoo Location... one that doesn't trigger the 'Guest is misbehaving' flag) But without the AIO Bathrooms, I end up making either multiple, tiny bathrooms... or even go so far as to make several toilet 'stalls', which is just a 1x2 room with a toilet in it; the shower is separate. I try to avoid having a bathtub because they take too long bathing.

Having a Neat sim or two is helpful. If you have Showtime installed, a Genie can do the cleaning as well -- or a witch, if they have the spell, and you don't mind food in the fridge spoiling.

But I overall end up 'micromanaging' with a larger household.
They get up at 6 AM, so I end up pausing beforehand and manage who goes where for what first. Some go get food first, others go get toilet/shower first, to avoid sims complaining they cannot do what the other sim is currently blocking.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 11th May 2019 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
So you let other 7 do their free will thing until it's one of their turn the next day?

No, I pause the game and choose what each should be doing in turn, start the game again. Let it run a bit, pause again. Sometimes I make some of them do something for hours, but I can also just let some of them do as they please while I micromanage others. It depends on what my plans are.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th May 2019 at 2:10 AM
One adult, 4 children, 4 teens, and six toddlers is not possible to manage. Other than that, I've had a household that totaled to fourteen(?) with two toddlers at once, I think. Keeping the home smaller, for the most part, when it comes to walking distance between rooms and room sizes, helps. For bigger houses, it takes longer for sims to get from point A to B, but not too small, or you'll have routing failures.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th May 2019 at 8:59 AM
Having one or two neat freak around would be good cause they clean things up autonomously a lot. Handy Sims are good too because sinks and toilets will break often with that many sims. Use rabbit hole careers because this way you get a break from a few sims for a while.
For witches can keep themselves occupied by playing with magic and they always have plenty of apples in their inventory to eat when hungry but they caste the love charm on themselves too unless you modded it which will cause mayhem. So be careful of that.
For vampires make sure their thirst doesn't go down too much or they die unless you modded that out. This adds some extra challenge.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Scholar
#11 Old 13th May 2019 at 6:52 PM
I've played 8 person houses before, they're chaotic, but fun. Most of the time it's been Mom, Dad, and 4-6 kids then adding a friend or spouse and child into the mix. My large families usually have a big age spread so the oldest is a YA while the youngest is a child. I slowly marry them off and have a baby or two before moving them out.

My biggest tip is to pause the game at 6 AM and look at everyone's wishes, needs, and moodlets. Then queue up appropriate actions before deciding who to follow throughout the day. I check in periodically on the other sims and make sure no one has gone rogue on me. It's really easy to get focused on individual's needs and goals and forget about socializing them. It helps to try and have a family meal every other day and some kind of family time once or twice a week where you focus on the relationships of a subset of your sims. Any game that can handle more than two players at a time like dominoes, hopscotch, or pool are awesome for large households.

My largest household was 9 sims, 3 dogs, and 1 cat during a Nothing is Free challenge. We didn't have a school yet, so I'd wake the kids up and send them off to eat and work on skills. The mom and dad would work on the farm or fishing and train the animals. Once the first kid mastered Logic, she made the Imaginary Friend made real potion for the two who had them. Thus I went from having 7 sims to 9. When the mom became pregnant again, I moved her and her husband out with my least favorite dog. I couldn't stand dealing with any more babies or toddlers . She ended up having twins and I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Building: 5x5 room bases begin to feel very small once you add in animals and a stuffed household. A 7x7 room is going to work much better. Typically, 1 full bathroom per level is a good goal, but put two full baths on the level where you have the bedrooms or where you've got to walk through at least two other rooms to get to one. For example, a three level home with a main floor, basement, and upper level. The basement would consist of 2-3 large rooms with skilling equipment and a 2x3 or 3x3 bathroom next to the stairs. The main floor should hold kitchen, dining room, and study as well as another full bathroom . The upstairs should consist of a hallway at least 2 tiles wide with 3 or 4 bedrooms branching off and 2 full bathrooms. At least one of these bathrooms should have access from the hallway to keep from constantly walking through other sims' rooms. I segregate the children based on sex and/or age and try to keep bedrooms larger than 4x5 for routing. Making everyone have their own room begins to feel monastic as space constraints would keep them kind of closet sized.