Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 4:22 AM
Default Disappearing UI in travel locations?
So, for some inexplicable reason, none of the travel destinations are currently working for me, and searching has yielded no other reports of this issue.

What happens is that when I send my sim to a travel location (tested with two, only haven't tried Sim Shangla or what-have-you, but I assume it is the same) the UI gets messed up. It's like having the game in a camera mode. No sim selection UI, no interaction tabs shown, but the tabs showing Build and Buy mode are there, as are the slots where sims wishes should be shown (it simply appears blank). Clicking on Build or Buy (which should be grayed out at base camp anyway) brings an error message, and then snaps you back to Live mode. I can still direct my sim to perform actions, but the camera always snaps to follow the sim. Can also Edit Town, etc., but exiting and then returning to the game does nothing. Further, I tried using Save As... to see if that would solve the problem. Which it did, sort of. Except that I now had a clone of my sim, and only one sim showing on the UI. With one of twallan's mods installed (can't for the life of me remember which it is), I tried to add the clone to the household, which somehow made the UI disappear. Again. Needless to say, that save was ditched.

The strangest thing about this is that I've been playing the game fine for hours at a time; minor glitches, nothing game-breaking, and have actually used this same sim in travels numerous times. The last time I started up the game and played for a few hours, it crashed seemingly at random in Egypt. The next start-up was when the problems began.

I have a few mods from Crazy Town, all latest versions. As I've replicated the same issue with mods removed, those are most likely not the issue. Game is updated to the latest patch, although I didn't install the most recent one until after the crashes had already begun.

"Well, then at least I'll die next to a hot, nymphomaniac supermodel." And what more could one ask for...? ._.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 10:24 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - WA/patch 1.6 is crashing/not loading/broken/purple
    World Adventures and patch 1.6 are causing some issues - namely lots turning into blue squares and saving triggering an Error 16. If you have some other issue...

Remove all your custom content from Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages.
    Most mods will not yet be compatible with patch 1.6 or WA. Until the creator uploads an updated version, any hacks cannot be used with patch 1.6 or WA.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Scholar
#3 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 5:04 PM
I had this error too, initially. Then all I did was move one sim out the household and into another one before going on a vacation, and now all of my sims properly appear at the new locale. Additionally, I noticed this sim was one I downloaded from the net, not sure if that contributes to anything....

I also took the sim I moved out (and his new household) on a vacation, and everything loaded properly. It's a bit strange, but it worked!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 5:11 PM
That's bizarre. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

"Well, then at least I'll die next to a hot, nymphomaniac supermodel." And what more could one ask for...? ._.