Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 12:23 AM
Default My Mod Ideas - Are They Workable?
I have discussed these ideas in another thread, and maybe these various items, like toggles for want and memory overrides, as well as chemistry overrides, could be controlled by an object. I've read that obj controllers are the safest. Basically, it could allow simmers to play simpler neighbourhoods without colleges and decide which sims will want or fear becoming/being cured of various creature states. It could also customize certain memories so that for example, certain aspirations could receive good memories from becoming werewolves and perhaps non-knowledge aspirations could receive positive memories of abductions.

Yes, there are mods that allow aging to young adult and college interactions on non-University lots, but I have studied the thread, and the process seems kind of wonky and awkward, at least to me. For some, it may be quite convenient, but for me, I want to be able to use an object to switch the college wants, fears, memories, and even LTWs, on and off depending on whether or not there is a college, and for certain aspirations for story purposes, for example. I don't like to make my sims have bad memories for missing college, but I know that some simmers would like to have that story element.

My idea for adult college graduation without a University subhood would be simpler. A teen who is an overachiever and has a lot of skills upon becoming an adult would be considered 'graduated with honors' and get all the Uni perks. Teens with fewer skills, lower job and school performance might only get the fifth want slot and perhaps a chance at changing aspirations. Teens who have kept their grades at around d+ - C would get the uneducated memory, while teens who have grown up with F grades would get the 'flunked' memory and a fourth fear slot.

For the teens who have graduated, they would walk or drive off the lot and be gone for maybe a few sim hours, and during that time, they get the perks they have earned. When they get back to the lot, the new adults will have the custom memories of completing an Associate Arts, Associate Science, Bachelor, etc. degree depending on their academic and job performance as teens.

I have other ideas as well, including an option to designate a residential lot as a foster home, and have the police or fire department alerted in the event of an accidental caregiver death or abduction when other caregivers are off the lot. Either that, or a townie can run onto the lot and be given a temporary 'nanny token' so the kids won't be taken. If all the teens and adults in a family die, then the townie will take the children and they will be related to him or her. For example, if Ginger and Gavin Newson both die, and Goopy GilsCarbo appears on the lot, he will take the remaining Newson children away and become their guardian.

Also, what if creature states could be made inheritable with tokens? They wouldn't manifest until the sim becomes a teen, but they would be inheritable. An age controller could also make certain creature states and conditions like fat, fit, active, and lazy, have different age durations.

And yes, I have other ideas. I would love to work on some kind of collaboration. If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize, but I really would like to get together with some modders to work on it. I can't program my way out of a paper bag, but I could probably beta-test it.
Advertisement
#2 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:47 PM
"I have other ideas as well, including an option to designate a residential lot as a foster home, and have the police or fire department alerted in the event of an accidental caregiver death or abduction when other caregivers are off the lot. Either that, or a townie can run onto the lot and be given a temporary 'nanny token' so the kids won't be taken. If all the teens and adults in a family die, then the townie will take the children and they will be related to him or her. For example, if Ginger and Gavin Newson both die, and Goopy GilsCarbo appears on the lot, he will take the remaining Newson children away and become their guardian. "

Townies (the maxis townie pool anyways) don't actually have family ties, so this is a head scratcher to me as to why this seems workable. I assume with the right config of mods (like BO's children left unattended and a food replicator) children could essentially live on their own theoretically.

"Also, what if creature states could be made inheritable with tokens? They wouldn't manifest until the sim becomes a teen, but they would be inheritable. An age controller could also make certain creature states and conditions like fat, fit, active, and lazy, have different age durations."

interesting, but what about inheritability when a sim is multiple life states? Would there be a percentage scale of the inheritability of each life state?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:24 PM
There are some townies with family ties - like the Tricou teens. As for genetic inheritance, that could be configured with switches to either be exclusive or allow hybridization with certain creature states. My idea is that you could even toggle certain states to not allow hybridization with certain others - like you could disallow vampire/plantsim or allow it as long as you have lycanthropy or the like to bridge those two states.

Also, for the social worker mods, I was thinking - what if townies could actually function as social workers? They would follow the social worker script but then take in the kids in and tutor any failing children. Maybe even playables with a certain amount of available funds and lot space could temporarily become social workers and take the children - for example, maybe Jenny or PT#9 Smith would take the children in at Strangetown, or maybe the Curious brothers, the Beakers, Nervous Subject, or even General Buzz. Service sims would likely be unable to play social worker but that would be an interesting thing to try at least. Any sims who have too many sims in their households or have had children taken would not be able to play social worker.

If the children have living relatives, those relatives can take the children away - note that any playables who take away children that way would likely have to deal with getting their trashcans kicked and newspapers stolen for a LONG time. It would also be funny if Cassandra Goth were to lose a child to Don Lothario of all people...
#4 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM
From what i've seen in the community those with creature inheritability rules do it on a percentage scale. So if using a object controller and a switch to activate it they would still have to do their own math to figure out what those percentages. But if it's kept on a token as you suggest that would deal with like how inteen and acr work they're set to use percentages to calculate things. I do like the possibility of bigfoot being an inheritable state, but zombies would be a 50/50 split of yes and no for most of the community taste.

Best bet with the social worker mod would be the suggestion about outside family adopting them and if they can't due to family limitations maybe sending them to a player owned orphanage? The orphanage though would have one caveat: it's run by servos thereby negating the whole starting issue of the maxis social worker showing up to take them if no adult on the lot. At least with the orphanage that way children retain family ties and last names. Never did like how the maxis system wiped their slates clean it felt so unreal if it was a child being adopted, a baby or toddler yea i can understand that but not the child. They dont forget where they came from overnight.

I';m still trying to process the school idea to make sure i understand it fully.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:20 PM
I think there should be a choice, so let's say your sim has married Komei Tellerman and he has previously taken children away, you get the option window asking if you want to adopt the children. In this case, even people who have had children taken away can adopt. They get a unique memory too: "I'm so glad that I got a second chance at becoming a parent."

The orphanage I think could be run by any adult/elder sim, including a Servo, plantsim, or Bigfoot. A playable sim would have to designate the lot as a "Foster Home" and I think that would give all adult+ sims on the lot the ability to engage in social worker behavior when necessary. Any children who have failing grades would in some way or another have their grades raised to acceptable levels before being taken off the lot, just so they don't trigger another social worker visit when they are played. We also have to think about how these playable pseudo-social workers would be programmed to react to the "Plead With Social Worker" family perk if the player has Free Time.

I also think that the controller should have a switch that can designate certain townies or random townies as ad hoc social workers in case of an emergency. This mod would likely make things more interesting and somewhat comical (I mean, imagine Goopy GilsCarbo or PT#9, General Buzz, Don Lothario, or even one of the Caliente sisters driving up in the Social Worker van and giving your sims a lecture) as well as useful in case of other family members taking in the orphans or neglected children.

There should also be an 'accident' option where if an adult dies on the lot but there are other adults, they can be allowed to leave school or work early. alternatively, a townie can be given a nanny token and appear on the lot, and function as a nanny until one of the adults comes along to dismiss him or her. This could be triggered if a Sim is killed or abducted by aliens.

Might have to do a little rough sketch of the type of model - we could use some kind of cheap deco object or a shrub, or we can make the object have various different models that the player can choose so it blends in with the rest of the decor.

And of course, we also have the idea for the College mod which I have discussed... do you have any ideas for that as well? And should there be an option to grow-up children and teens if Free Time is not installed, and randomize the aspirations of children who have grown up?
#6 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:36 PM
this all still goes on the issue of whether stable connections can be made in the townie pool. You mentioned the Tricous but those connections were done externally to connect Jon Smith to them so there would be a way to resurrect that family since that was the big draw in of Nightlife. That's if i'm remembering my info correctly. I know you can connect sims as family via sim blender, but this is on a bigger scale than that; and my concern as a player would be the stability of this so that character data isn't corrupted in any sense. I mentioned servo as an acceptable replacement for the foster home rather than a human sim because they're the least likely to have an accident resulting in death and i'm not sure how many instances this mod would handle a child changing homes before something went wrong data wise.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:39 PM
I see. You could be right on that. As for Servos, they aren't perfect; they can run amok and such. Maybe if a townie takes the children, he or she does the 'move out' action and creates a new family in the Sim Bin. Would that work out?
#8 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:53 PM
making move out autonomous would require background checks for certain conditions probably, but not sure you could keep it confined to that type of situation. That and townies themselves really don't have a home to move out of to begin with lol.

The nanny token for townies though sounds like a really viable idea.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 12:35 AM
I see. That could be a problem with moving out. Maybe just have sims that own foster homes be able to take children.
Test Subject
#10 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 10:59 PM
I have always wondered if having occults (or creature states) be inheritable could be possible. No one's ever given me a straight forward answer whenever I have asked, but maybe that's because no one knows if it is. It'd give me more of a reason to use them, that's for sure. I can't mod, but I'd be glad to ask any of my own friends that know how to if they it's possible and/or if they could.

hello
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2017 at 12:24 AM
I think that with inheritance tokens depending on genetic purity and such, it might be possible. We could do it in such a way that two pure witches would make a pure witch guaranteed. A witch paired with a non-witch would always make a latent witch (the token would include all creature genetic information and chances of passing the trait on to the offspring. I think there would have to be some kind of way to exclude certain sims, like the vehicle drivers, social workers, and any other sims that were not meant to be messed with. In fact, it might be good to exclude the service sims altogether until they are made playable. Once made playable, the service sim will be given a randomized token, or you could choose to manually give the new playables tokens with either randomized or specific genetics.

If there aren't any restrictions on these creature tokens, it is my worry that Crumplebutt and other object/dangerous NPCs will get the tokens and well... BFBVFS AHOY!