Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 6:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default The Sims 3 and Sims Medieval on Windows 8/10
I have bought all the discs for the two games so that I would own them all, but I cannot play them on my old burnt-out Windows 7 machine so my mother's getting me a new one. The problem is that everywhere we go, laptops seem to come with Windows 10, or Windows 8, and I've been reading on-line that people are having problems with disc installation or getting the games to boot up at all if the installation works.

I know there are updated downloads. I can't guarantee I'll have access to internet regularly (my island is unpredictable in that way) and I really loathe dealing with the Origin client in general. NRaas has no cd mods for both these games, and I'm wondering if they're a plausible workaround without resorting to unlicensed updates or official downloads.

Can anyone give me a solid idea? I really want to play the Sims again. Thanks.

Visit my YouTube channel, maybe? <3
https://www.youtube.com/user/MaxineAndrew
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 5:00 AM
For an all-disc install, you need to have the disc for the most recently released EP/SP that you have installed in place in order to play. The game authenticates from the disc. There shouldn't be any issues installing on Win 8 or 10, not sure where this is coming from (though to be fair I have no experience with Medieval).

The NoCD mods remove the need to have a disc in place to authenticate and play. They do not remove the need to have a disc to install from. That's kind of what Origin is for if you want to go that route, but it sounds like not (don't blame you).
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 10:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by max4love
The problem is that everywhere we go, laptops seem to come with Windows 10, or Windows 8, and I've been reading on-line that people are having problems with disc installation or getting the games to boot up at all if the installation works.

Well if you don't want a new laptop with Win 8 or Win 10 pre-installed, you can always look for new laptop without any OS pre-installed, just make sure you get all of its drivers discs when you buy it, then just install it with your licensed copy of Windows 7, to do this you'll need to delete your Windows 7 installation from your old computer so you can re-activate it in your new laptop.

But if you changed your mind and get a new laptop with Win 10 pre-installed, make sure you also gets its serial number and its Win 10 installer disc/media or COA at the back of your new laptop, because you'd be paying for them as well, not only the laptop unit you're buying, so make sure you get them as well

And then if you're having any issue for your TS3 to work in Win 10, just go here for complete tutorial how to do it yourself
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 11:47 AM Last edited by max4love : 28th Oct 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Ah, Okay. I've just been reading that there a lot of problems with 1. installing the games from disc, and 2. getting them to boot up to even play. People have been reporting crashes and the game "running in the background" but not showing up on the screen. They've said the only solution is to download from Origin, as those downloads have been made to work on newer Windows. There's supposed to be a problem with newer Windows and how SecuRom from the disc works, because its check for the disc is disabled or something.

I was getting worried. But if they're wrong, then I'm safe and I can use my discs. Thanks!

EDIT: And some time ago, I had gotten both game's manual patch for moving to a new PC, in the event that internet fails me later. :P

Visit my YouTube channel, maybe? <3
https://www.youtube.com/user/MaxineAndrew