Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 4:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Closing after clicking on any section of the catalog (buy or build)
Hello guys! Need help!
Every time I open my "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" it loads normal, however every time I'm in a lot and I'm loading the catalog of items, (decoration / sculptures, example), the game locks and opens a message (The Sims 2 Ultimate collection needed to be finalized) and the window closes.
At first I thought it might be some CC's, but I've already deleted the latest ones installed and the problem persists.
Then another alternative was to exclude all CCs with conflicts, and the problem still persisted.
what other alternative? How can I solve this?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:13 AM
Make a backup. Pull your download folder to desktop and try it.
If it still crashes, do you have cc in other places? Saved Sims, files in the installation files?
If it is cc free and still crashing try going into Origin and right clicking, fix game.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=614833

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 7:33 PM
Without the custom content the game runs normal.
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 8:10 PM
Then you will have to do a 50/50 im afraid and find the culprit
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 9:57 PM
Also make sure that you do not have things that should not be there - look if you have smooth hands and maxis hands for the same outfit, or perhaps an original and an edited mesh for the same hair (both of these have given me problems in the past).
Walls and floors will probably not be the cause, so leave those for last.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 12:00 AM
Most times crashing isn't caused by mods but objects. Kitchen counters are a bit notorious, but if something got borked it could be anything. Do you know how to do a 50/50? At least now you know it's a bit of content.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 2:06 AM
the problem will really be in this part of the catalog, specifically in the decorating part. How does this 50/50 method work?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:47 AM
Make a back up of your sims 2 folders. (or just your hoods and downloads)

Remove half of your downloads to a folder on the desktop. Try your game. if it crashes you know the bad cc is in the section in your download folder. Go over and rename that other half as 'good' or something like that. if it didn't crash swap it around and try the other half, that half should crash. Consistently half and try, putting aside the pieces that don't crash into the good folder. Eventually, you will be done to a few files until you find the culprit. Most of us have done a 50/50 more than once and once the CC pile gets smaller it doesn't take long to load, check and exit. Tedious but it works.

If you are sure it's in your deco folder, pull that and test without it to be sure. Then remove the rest and do the 50/50 with just the deco folder. Your cc does need to be well organized to do that though. If deco is hiding in other folders this might not work.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#9 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:24 AM
I'm having a similar issue tonight. Something seems to be lurking in the Sculpture section, the catalog hangs and I have to CTRL+ALT+DELETE to end the game. Just as an example of another 50/50, I'm excluding stuff like game mods, careers, default skins, eyes, and putting older folders back first, so I'll focus on newer downloads to find the problem. Good luck!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 12:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jul 2018 at 1:05 PM.
^ Make sure you also test older folders, just to be sure there isn't a GUID conflict.

I had a very annoying item that caused random crashing on lots and in the electronics/misc catalog for quite some time. I went through most of my DL folder in a slightly modified 50/50 method, and it took me ages, but I found the culprit in the end (my DL folder was roughly 35 GB at that time, and I was down to the last folder when I realized what the file was).

Personally I've taken to use a folder named "TEST" where I put new items. The plan is to see whether I like the new items and whether or not they create any problems in the game, and when tested it's moved to the proper folder. My problem is that I keep creating new Test folders... But in theory this is a good method to quickly weed out problems.

You can also use a test game. I've got the game installed on two computers, and the one on my laptop serves as the test game, so most new items and lots goes through an approval there first. If you don't have two computers, you can do this by making an extra game (rename the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents, let the game generate a new folder, and now you have two games to play around with - the current game will be the one named "The Sims 2"). This game you can mess with as much as you want (just don't do anything that may corrupt the install files).
Alchemist
#11 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

Personally I've taken to use a folder named "TEST" where I put new items. The plan is to see whether I like the new items and whether or not they create any problems in the game, and when tested it's moved to the proper folder. My problem is that I keep creating new Test folders... But in theory this is a good method to quickly weed out problems.

In theory, yes, I do the exact same things. One thing I find difficult is when the problem is not one item, it's a combination of items when HCDU doesn't identify them. Two things conflict, so if you happen to remove one of them with half the stuff, everything seems fine, so you think it's the other half, but if you try the other half, everything works fine. Gets tricky. Another issue is that I may have had the item in for some time but not done whatever causes the problem for a while. And, now, I've slowly put back CC and tested and... nothing. It works fine now. No idea what it was. Give me good ol flashing blue, any day.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:35 PM
^ You'd know something in the test folder was interfering with another item in your Downloads folder. You can either take the new item out, or do a 50/50 search to find the other item, and then decide which to keep.

The items outside the test folder would in theory work fine (you'll have to make sure of that as good as possible, though - meaning you can go through all catalogs and not get crashes, errors, missing meshes/textures or other bugs). You can of course not be 100% sure everything is working smoothly, but you can be roughly 99% sure. You may also want to enable TestingCheats, because if there is a hidden bug, it will cause an error, and you'll know there's something that needs sorting out.

Then, when you have a new item in the Test folder, and get a bug in the system you didn't have with the rest of your CC, you can be reasonably sure there's something off in the Test folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 1:41 AM
Hi, guys! I did the 50/50 method, gave up, there seemed to be a lot of broken CCs, and it was a stressful situation. Luckily I had a folder on my computer with most of my CCs, and I just solved copiala for the downloads folder and now I'm going to run behind some that are missing. Thank you everyone's attention, thank you!
Note: Never stop creating a folder with the copy of all your CCs, I thought it was silly for a few months, but now I have seen how useful this is.