Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:21 PM
Default Transparent patterns?
im looking to make a plastic/glass looking texture that makes the object near see through. im just wondering if transperent textures are possible.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:21 PM
I'm TOTALLY new to Sims modding, but I guess you should use an alpha channel layer. An alpha channel is a b&w image that defines what's transparent (or translucent (grays)).
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:27 PM
hukes - That doesn't work. Alpha channels on patterns are not used for transparency - they're used as a 4th colour palette option (y'know how you have up to 4 possible colours to change per pattern in Create a Style? Alpha channel is the 4th one).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:40 PM
Oh, there you go. I didn't know that. I took a wild guess, since alpha channels are used for transparency in Second Life.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 10:54 PM
In fact, all four of the pattern layers in CaST patterns function like transparency channels... where the image is white you get solid color, and where it's black that layer is transparent, and shows the layer beneath it, with shades of gray representing different amounts of transparency.

The trouble is, the four layers of CaST patterns are all layered on top of their own non-player-editable fixed-color background, and THAT is somehow combined with the object's basic texture, which isn't affected by CaST -- that is, the texture that produces the carving, shading, small floral designs and so on that are built into certain objects.

So you can't make objects transparent using CaST styles... unfortunately, since it would be fun to make cutouts on clothing etc I assume you'd have to access the underlying texture that's attached to the mesh for that.

I wonder if the techniques folks are currently using to make T-shirt decals and the like could be used for transparency?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 12:11 AM
Srikandi: Yes, they could. Quite easily.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 1:32 AM
This would be cool for making inflatable furniture :D
It would also be nice if you could use the cut jewels' material on other objects

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
George Carlin
Eminence Grise
#8 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 4:49 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 18th Jun 2009 at 5:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Srikandi: Yes, they could. Quite easily.

Ahh, that's awesome -- should make a lot of folks happy who miss having an alpha channel to play with from Bodyshop!

Edit: here we go, Delphy's new CAS texture tool http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post2630508
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:30 PM
So, could anyone explain this technique to make transparent patterns at a level of someone who knows nothing about using these kinds of tools? :P
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by canadaispurple
So, could anyone explain this technique to make transparent patterns at a level of someone who knows nothing about using these kinds of tools? :P

I second that...

Would very much like to create transparent walls and floors. Is there any material in the wall or floor category that can be turned transparent?

Thanks.
Eminence Grise
#11 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nedumaran
Would very much like to create transparent walls and floors. Is there any material in the wall or floor category that can be turned transparent?

There is no way to make Create-A-Style type patterns that make an object transparent, for the reasons I mentioned above. These patterns are layered on top of the underlying object. For transparency you'd have to mod that object.

Hence, you are in the wrong forum, since this one deals only with CaST patterns. You want the "modding discussion" forum.

Delphy's new texture editor that I linked above will let you add transparency to CAS stuff only, i.e. body parts (clothes, skins).

For walls, floors, and furniture, you'd need a different kind of tool. AFAIK nobody's made one like that yet, but I'm sure it will be along.
Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 2:56 AM
[QUOTE=Srikandi]There is no way to make Create-A-Style type patterns that make an object transparent, for the reasons I mentioned above. These patterns are layered on top of the underlying object. For transparency you'd have to mod that object.

Hence, you are in the wrong forum, since this one deals only with CaST patterns. You want the "modding discussion" forum.

Sorry about that...

All I can say is that these discussions are VERY interesting, and I'm learning something every time I come here, even if I myself have no skill to contribute. Thanks.
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:16 PM
I discovered something last night by pure accident.
I have HystericalParoxysm’s skin and face mods that fix the dough faces and add body tone and nipples. I had placed the female everyday shirt on one of my sims that has the outer shirt and the under camisole with the fish net sleeves.
I set them off in the game and was watching 2 of my sims in conversation and was wondering what dirt was on my monitor right over the female sims breast. I looked closer and found that it looked like I could see her chest though the shirt.
I then went back into the plan outfit mode and fiddled around with the colors and sure enough the nipples of my female sim were faintly showing through the clothing of that style shirt. That leads me to believe that there is a way to make shear clothing and possibly other clear objects my goal would be to make a fish net shirt for my rocker guy for when he performs he kind of looks like Manson in a way.
I hope this gives some info for the moders out there to go on.
Thanks for reading
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 11:17 PM
Interesting :O I just installed HP's skins, I'll take a look.

That's a bit... disturbing, actually *puts all her sims in bulky sweaters so their nipples don't show*
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#15 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 12:17 AM
mcgothbox1, Yes, you can make sheer clothing - people have already done it with see through bras and so on

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Jun 2009 at 4:25 PM
Man i need to find a set of instructions or some one willing to do a 101 on working with clothing.
Eminence Grise
#17 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 1:44 AM
There are a couple of different tuts in the modding section.
Test Subject
#18 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:25 AM
Thanks for the response i stayed up way to late last night working on a peek-a-boo bra top but managed to get it working
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
mcgothbox1, Yes, you can make sheer clothing - people have already done it with see through bras and so on
Where might we find examples of this?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 3:39 PM
Give me a little time to clean it up and ill see about how to post it in the dl section
Theorist
#21 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 11:46 AM
Alexandra, probably somewhere on the adult site, I don't know
Eminence Grise
#22 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 10:36 AM
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Don't need to go to SexySims http://db.modthesims.info/download.php?t=352527, http://db.modthesims.info/download.php?t=351581 etc.

You big show-off: "This server is usable by MTS2 staff members only."

(No worries though, was easy enough to resolve.)

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
Eminence Grise
#24 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 3:39 AM
lol -- sorry I'm new, and I keep doing that Feel free to slap me around for it.

Should have been http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=352527, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=351581

(It's more or less the same data, just a different way in )
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 7:33 AM
Hmmm... I'll keep checking up on this discussion, mainly because I want to learn how to make SOME PARTS of a shower I downloaded invisible... (I downloaded a new-mesh communal shower, but I want to remove the shower walls to make it look like the actual University shower, which I lost University moons ago. )

ENTJ
Page 1 of 2