Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2022 at 7:16 PM
Default Object orientation in slot
I'm trying to make an object with slots that objects can only be placed into in one orientation, with the x/y/z axes of the object lined up with the x/y/z axes of the slot, but I can't get it to work for some reason - the z axes are aligned but the x and y axes aren't. What slot settings lock the object placed in it into alignment with the slot axes, with no rotation allowed at all?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Jan 2023 at 5:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lizcandor
I'm trying to make an object with slots that objects can only be placed into in one orientation, with the x/y/z axes of the object lined up with the x/y/z axes of the slot, but I can't get it to work for some reason - the z axes are aligned but the x and y axes aren't. What slot settings lock the object placed in it into alignment with the slot axes, with no rotation allowed at all?

Unchecking “Full Rotation” in the settings of each slot should keep the object placed on the slot from rotating.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jan 2023 at 10:58 PM
That helped for getting objects to not move in the slot, thanks!

The biggest problem is still there - there's always this small angular offset between the axes of the slot and whatever's placed in it, like in the image attached (object is a toilet brush holder with a slot to hold a buyable version of the toilet brush prop - I'm trying to change how the game uses animation props). The containment slot on the holder is rotated 90 degrees around its y axis, so that the z axis of anything placed in the slot is parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular to it; but because there's that angular offset for some reason (it's the toilet brush that's selected in that screenshot - the holder is lined up with the buy mode grid), I can't line it up with the holder so it's fully vertical.

This doesn't happen if I don't rotate the containment slot, so I guess it must have something to do with that, but I'm not sure why? For now I've sort of worked around this by just rotating the toilet brush mesh so it's vertical instead of horizontal, and not rotating the containment slot; but since that means the toilet brush clips through the surface it's on if it's placed anywhere but in its holder, I'd still like to figure out a better solution. I'm going to need to do something similar for mops and brooms too, and I'd like to be able to make it so they stand up vertically if placed in slots of the objects I've made to store them but lie horizontally if placed on the ground.
Screenshots