Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:48 PM
Default What language was TS3 written in?
Besides English

So if I'm not mistaken, TS4 was written in Python...or, if not that, it was written in C++ and was bootstrapped to be semi-compatible with Python.
Now, generally speaking, software development is a field I tell myself I know plenty about, despite not having the faintest understanding of it. I could tell you what languages there are and which ones tend to be best for what, but that'd be the end of it. So when I say that C++ is the go-to language for many AA game titles today, I have no idea if that's actually true.
But I was wondering if that may at least be the case for TS3. And if so, is C++ a language you can learn just by looking at it for a really really long time?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:12 PM
Sims 3 was written in C# - Sea-Sharp. A Microsoft language that was made into an ISO standard.

It's party of the proliferation of useless languages. You'd think C is good enough, and it really is. But no.... Bad programmers lead to C++. (The pre-processor actually converts C++ to C before compiling!) and then from C++ to Java. Microsoft and Oracle had a dispute about where Java should go, so Microsoft went off and made their own version of Java called C#.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:18 PM
CSharp? Seems like an alright language to me. Thanks.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
CSharp? Seems like an alright language to me. Thanks.

I've learned Programma 101, IBM 360 Basic, IPL, Fortran IV, Pascal, BasicA, whatever that Apple II GS language was called, Masm and then C.

C is seemed optimal.

Started down the path of C++... but it's silly. It's just C for people who lack discipline and for bosses who think programmers should be replaceable line units. Python just doesn't strike me as a serious language. Java was interesting as some processors are Java Machines, but Sims 3 is written in C#. C# just oozes wasteful pushes and pops and reeks of Microsoft.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I've learned Programma 101, IBM 360 Basic, IPL, Fortran IV, Pascal, BasicA, whatever that Apple II GS language was called, Masm and then C.

...So you've been coding for like 40, 50 years? Woah. That's a really, really long time. My parents weren't even born when some of those older machines were first released. Those languages predate the very concept of the modern computer. Those languages predate the presence of the personal computer in the average home by several decades. Even the rich 80s kids who got computers long before everyone did are still way behind you.

insert signature here
Inventor
#6 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 12:19 AM
TS1: Engine C++, scripting language SimAntics
TS2: Engine C++, scripting language SimAntics
TS3: Engine C++, scripting language C#
TS4: Engine C++, scripting language Python
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 2:49 AM
...So you've been coding for like 40, 50 years? Woah. That's a really, really long time. My parents weren't even born when some of those older machines were first released. Those languages predate the very concept of the modern computer. Those languages predate the presence of the personal computer in the average home by several decades. Even the rich 80s kids who got computers long before everyone did are still way behind you.

Ouch.... and omg, you're right. 45 years.

To my credit, I never learned COBOL. I refused.

Yes, I am of the generation that used a slide rule to check my brand new calculator, because I didn't trust it.
Yeah... what's a slide rule.
Oh? What's a calculator? That's an app, right?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Oh? What's a calculator? That's an app, right?

Most of the time. Except on exams, when it's a big slab with a ton of buttons on it and a touchpad to navigate the Excel-based spreadsheets with. Or, you know, to make Mario jump over that Goomba.
Kind of reminds me of my old MSX2. It's the only device I own that plays retro games simply because it's all it can play.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#9 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 11:16 AM
Even the rich 80s kids who got computers long before everyone did are still way behind you.

I refuse to be a rich kid! We just got ours from a nabour.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I refuse to be a rich kid! We just got ours from a nabour.

Actually, now that I think about it, my dad wasn't a "rich kid" but he did have a computer...
What I meant to say was, 80s rich kids had PCs with matching monitors and everything. Everyone else had "home computers".

insert signature here
Site Helper
#11 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 2:07 PM
When I was born my mom had to list "Mathematician" as my father's occupation for my birth certificate. "Systems Analyst", or even "Computer Programmer" sounded like something she made up.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 2:42 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 20th Jun 2017 at 2:59 PM.
When I was born, dial up internet had just become commonplace in people's homes and video games were being advertised for their flashy 3D-accelerated graphics. Also, the Macarena was still cool.

The late 90s and early 00s weren't great to grow up in. Pretty much the worst era for music, fashion and kids' TV, ever. I mean, fuck, I should consider myself lucky for being a fairly normal person despite having grown up in that bullshit. And I have my dad's 80s nostalgia trips to thank for that, I guess. I mean, the video games were good, some of the TV was too, but my childhood would've been a lot less fun without the older crap. They don't even broadcast Knight Rider anymore these days. How the hell are kids supposed to grow up without shit like that?

By the way, does anyone here remember Need For Speed: Porsche 2000? That game is timeless. Fuck, I need to go dig up my disc.

insert signature here
Scholar
#13 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 7:54 PM
It's relieving knowing than I'm not alone disgusted with C# abominations :D

anyway - C++ becomes a baseline a long time ago; it's fast (if compiled *properly*), well documented, commonly known (unfortunatelly that started to change with rising MS Church of Lazy Programming also known as: let's make a VisualBasic an actual ultimate Force, so everybody start to pay us and us alone! so... C# happened) and easy to maintain and automate even in big projects (incredible amount of useful, well written and documented tools).
As long as you work with professionalists, not "two-week-course" pros. or "cheapest students from the darker side of the Globe".

And, well, long time ago in the galaxy far far away I've run C compiler on the 8-bit Atari from the tape. Romantic times... First Pascal, then C keywords and compiler directives were my 1st words in English (which is maybe possible to see even now).

I'd not underestimate Python, though. It's not (obviously) core-language but it has great educational power and within its scope is quite effective. Bah, there is still PyGame library set, funny to try if you want to make your own Space Invaders.

I probably risk the World War saying that, but Macarena never was "cool".

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 8:05 PM
So yeah, uhm, I worked with HTML5 once. And I definitely know how my MSX works, it's not just collecting dust somewhere because I couldn't figure the damn thing out.

insert signature here