Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:38 PM
Default Is it a good idea to install patches before install the game?
I know I'm not supposed to ask this kind of question but I couldn't find anywhere that could answer my question. All I wanted to know whether it is a good idea to install patches to fix the bugs before I install BV or BV first then patches? That's all I needed to know! Thank you all of your time!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:43 PM
You can't fix something if it doesn't exist on your computer. The patches seem to add themselves to the EP folder, so if the BV EP isn't there, there's not much use for the patch.

I'd say install BV first, patch later. That way it will actually be patched.

As for if you want to avoid the SecuROM troubles, the patch won't help you much with that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can't fix something if it doesn't exist on your computer. The patches seem to add themselves to the EP folder, so if the BV EP isn't there, there's not much use for the patch.

I'd say install BV first, patch later. That way it will actually be patched.

As for if you want to avoid the SecuROM troubles, the patch won't help you much with that.

True, why didn't I think of that?! Heh. Thanks for your help!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 11:29 PM
Minor but important quibble: I wouldn't wait to install the patch "later". "After" the EP, yes, but /immediately/, so you don't forget it needs to be done. Because BV, especially, needs to be fully patched /before/ you next load the game. Installing patches should be part of the overall installation process, done at the same time.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 12:12 AM
Install, then patch. Patch before you play. Seasons especially needs to be patched before the Ottomas and Crittur families can be added to your neighbourhoods.
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 3:31 AM
I always always patch everything before playing at all.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Install, then patch. Patch before you play. Seasons especially needs to be patched before the Ottomas and Crittur families can be added to your neighbourhoods.

Didn't the Crittur family come with Pets, since they are a pair of dogs? If so, you'd think the Pets patch would fix that. Stupid EAxis.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 10:16 AM
Oh yeah, they did come with Pets. Now I'm not entirely sure if the puppies are broken in the same was as the Ottomas twins, haha. I seem to recall it being something to do with them both being pregnant and in the sim bin that caused things to be broken, but I can't be certain.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I seem to recall it being something to do with them both being pregnant and in the sim bin that caused things to be broken, but I can't be certain.

That's my understanding. It's the pregnancy that's the issue, so the fact that the Critturs are dogs (pets) is immaterial. So no, the Pets patch does not fix the pregnancy issue that Seasons caused.

Of course, all EPs need to be patched, regardless.
Scholar
#10 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 6:21 PM
Download all the patches you need before you start (unless you already have them). Then install the base game. Then the base game patch. Then each expansion pack, making sure you install each patch after you install the relevant expansion. (There are a few stuff packs with no patch - but be careful, because Family Fun Stuff does require a patch, at least in the PC version). When all the expansions and patches are installed, load.

It's a tedious method, but it's also one way people as scatter-brained as myself remember to put patches on at the correct moment and not accidentally miss any and/or attempt to apply patches onto expansions that aren't installed yet.

(The Critturs come with Pets but need the most recent Seasons patch - i.e. the one MTS2 has available - before they can be played in a Seasons neighbourhood. Obviously if you don't have Pets, you "only" need the Seasons patch for the 100 or so other problems in the game - including the equally-critical Ottomas pregnancy mentioned by sushigal007).