Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 6:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Modifying regional data?
I recently got a physical copy of The Sims 3 + Ambitions from Russia. I believe it's The Sims 3 Deluxe everywhere else? Anyway, problem is, well, it's in Russian :/

I managed to change the actual language myself with regedit, but there must be another entry I can't find, cause manually applying a patch doesn't work and everything in the "Welcome" tab of the launcher is still in Russian...

What do I have to do to change the localization / region stuff completely? AKA how can I make it so that I can patch the game manually using European, US or Worldwide patches? Neither seem to work on the Russian version (big surprize there).

I could use Origin but... I don't want to.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 7:02 PM
The safest way to do it is to reinstall the game and choose English from the start, but that's annoying, I know. :P

You can also edit the registry. Just be really careful what you're doing in there, if you do something wrong you could end up having to reinstall the game anyway. Here's what you do:

Run "regedit" from the Start menu. This opens the Registry Editor.

Find this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sims
There will be a folder for The Sims 3 and each of EP's (if you have them), you need to change the language for each one.

Click on each folder and there will be something called "Locale". Make a note of what it says there under Data (maybe NL for Dutch?) in case you need to change it back.

Double-click on Locale and change Value Data to "en-US". Do this for each game/EP folder.

64-bit Windows has an extra folder called Wow6432Node.

So for everyone it should be like this once you're in Regedit:

Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Open SOFTWARE
(For 64-bit systems only, open Wow6432Node)
Open Sims
Inside that folder will be a folder for every Sims game you have installed. Change Locale in each one to en-US.

You can also change the country to US (or whatever you like I guess). This should change the language in the launcher.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2014 at 7:21 PM
I already did that, but I did it for SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Sims, heh. Anyway I did it correctly now and fixed the launcher, but for some reason I still get an illegible error when I try to patch the game. The patch text shows up as "???????????", not even Russian characters.

As for reinstalling, I picked English every time :/

Also, why... how does the game get corrupted every time I fail to install a patch? I backed up the base game files and it still gave me an error when I tried to start it up, forcing me to reinstall it ._.