Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 9:34 AM
Default Roaches to rats
Hiya

Just getting back into using SimPE and for my first comeback project I would like to replace the roaches with rats using a custom mesh I made with 3ds max.

Searched all over the net for info on editing the roaches and tried with SimPE to no avail. The package when cloned does not contain any meshes, just coding.

I presume these roaches are particles but they must be derived from a mesh or at least a texture, if I could get my hands on either this project could get a green light! Can anyone help me on this?

Thankyou.

Digital Art Portfolio http://www.gcmax.co.uk
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 10:16 AM
Ah, those roaches. Yep, they're certainly interesting, spent quite a while playing with them back in the carnival days. You should be getting two meshes with the clone though (alive and dead), so I'm not sure why you're not... Have you got all the defaults set in OW?

I've attached a roaches clone in any case. Hopefully that will help!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  roaches.zip (14.6 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 11:49 AM
Oh thankyou soo much, you are great, I will be playing with that file today :D
By looking it seems alot of the unknown objects are kind of greyed out (red x) which I presume means limited resources for that file, was kind of what I was expecting anyway but a bit frustrating either way. Am I right in thinking that there is only one instance of this particular roaches object? If so I found it in unknown and updated SimPE with the relevant direct x updates but still got the greyed out selection with no geometric data container/textures.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 11:24 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean by "greyed out"... Where are you looking? Which particular part is greyed out? Everything looks normal (and editable) to me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 9:52 AM
Confused
I don't know why but alot of items have a red x, especially in the unknown section. It must have been a bug (no pun) I tried to clone the same file again and this time got everything, no problems

Ok so I'm at the point where I am ready to integrate the new package, I tried without updating the GUID to try and overwrite the original but it didn't show up in the game, just had the original anim.

Do I have to replace the file manually by opening the objects.data file? Thanks again.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 11:12 AM
The red 'x' icon just means that the game has never generated a thumbnail for that object. Most things that aren't in the catalogue will have that icon.

Putting it in the downloads file should override it, but like I said, the roaches are a bit tricky because they're not *actually* a mesh, rather, they're an effect that plays on an invisible mesh.... I can't really remember much more than that, mostly I was interested in how they moved at the time...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 12:53 PM
Hmm, looks like I'm at a dead end with this one, I scoured the net looking for info on the roaches, came close a few times but nothing revealing and not quite on topic

When I cloned the package again/edited your upload here I found that the geometric data container had 2 meshes in it. Both are exactly the same being 2 faces and 4 vertices (just planes) it doesn't seem to make sense, there must be something more hidden somewhere as there are no animation files in the package either. This really has me stumped as to where the actual roaches animated texture or animated model is?!

Thanks for all your help Echo, I really appreciate your efforts, if there's anything else you want to add I'm all ears :D

Ps: I was thinking of cloning something similar like flies and see if they are the same, that's about all I can think of doing.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Feb 2008 at 10:39 PM
I'm fairly sure it's not an animated texture or an animated model, it's an effect. Same with the flies. Just fyi.