Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 12:59 PM
Default Functional Storage Unit
Hey, guys. I was wondering if there was an object that functions similarly to TS3 WA's chests, wherein you can put several objects and have it serve as an inventory of sorts.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 4:03 PM
It sounds like that's based on Sims 3 code. If I'm correct bookcases and fridges already have an 'inventory' of sorts in the TS3 base game? No idea if it's even possible in the Sims 2.
The juicer seems to just have a counter for ingredients, you can't take stuff out once you put it in. The fridges don't really have an inventory either, it's technically the lot that holds the fresh food*, not the fridge (fridges do have a separate counter for the food points I believe). Nothing else seems to have an inventory, it's all based on code and randomness, like finding treasure in the ship.
*Meaning that if your family moves to another lot, the old lot still has all the leftovers and fish in it! Unless I'm utterly, embarrassingly and tragically mistaken that is.

I hope somebody can prove me wrong though! What did you want to use it for?
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 6:19 PM
You're right about the lot data - I've had sims inherit the previous owner's food before and remember being shocked by the familiar leftovers!

I thought it might be nice to be able to simulate self storage somehow without having to set up a separate lot or space for it - which could get out of hand if several sims start storing their items. I considered using it with these gold bars so that sims can just keep all of them (along with other important items) in the chest as a makeshift safe, and thought that it'd be nice to be able to store special items in it, like time capsules of a sort for close friends or safeguarding family heirlooms.

A bit off-topic, but I remember using these while playing around with my brother's TS4. I don't know much about modding, though it seems that the creator set the object's inventory type to sim. I'm not sure that's possible in TS2 using the gift-giving dialog box - it would be great if it was.
Alchemist
#4 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 4:19 AM
The only thing I can think off is the outdoor Cellar, but then its also just a fridge! (A very cool fridge!) http://modthesims.info/d/289069

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 4:34 AM
I think the closest you'll get is the ingame food storage systems and the personal sim inventory.
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ekrubynaffit
The only thing I can think off is the outdoor Cellar, but then its also just a fridge! (A very cool fridge!)

Thanks, ekrubynaffit. I've been using it for my ancient/fantasy hoods, and it's great. Just in case anyone's looking for them, there's a bottle-enabled version here.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I think the closest you'll get is the ingame food storage systems and the personal sim inventory.

Yeah, I thought this might be one of my usual pipedreams, albeit one I really wanted this time. I have to actively remember to move items from one inventory to another and who has said objects; it's just that sometimes I forget that an item is with a deceased sim, which makes the search harder.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 10:59 PM
If only the game would give you a moment to choose to move stuff out of a playable sim's inventory when they die at home, or just dump the inventory to another sim when they don't.
"Oh, this sim died, I guess we'll bury them with the dining set, snapdragon bouquet, perfume, Elixir of Life and groceries they had in their pocket!"
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 11:37 PM
I keep thinking there's a family inventory, but that's probably TS3...

The inventory system really should be so that if a sim dies their inventory gets transferred to someone else (or maybe there could be some kind of will involved?)