Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 5:40 PM Last edited by armyangel93 : 10th Nov 2018 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Additional info

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default skins producing customs?
When I first installed the game, I immediately downloaded a CC default replacement skin set. I have several custom sets that are non-default. I started using the default skins when I realized customs produced variable skin tones and didn't look like either parent skin. However, I'm having the same problem with my default skin sims. Could this happen because of geneticized/townified custom skins that are still non-default? I am about to delete most of my skins and possibly replace my defaults, but I'd still like to know the answer for future reference. Despite all my years playing this game and downloading CC, I'm still learning about both.

P.S. I've heard of people changing skin tones after creation via programs like SimPE but I have never used it and don't know the right place to start.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 6:47 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Nov 2018 at 7:47 PM.
Geneticized skins will blend with custom skins. If you have a S1 and S4 sim but ten different geneticized/towniefied skins with values between the S1 and S4 skin, the babies could get any of those skins. If you have parent sims with S1 and S2 skins, and 5 skins with values between there, the sim babies could get any of the 7 skins.

Regular custom skins are always dominant or get assigned in a 50/50 way if ther are two custom skins present.

Not sure how skins that are just towniefied work (get assigned to new townies and CAS sims?).

Geneticized skins blend with the default ones according to the values assigned to them. It's possible they also have to be towniefied to work that way.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 7:40 PM
Townifying just means that the skins can be used by sims randomly generated by the game.

If you can use SimPE, you can open the skintone's file package and find its genetic value. A genetic value of 0 will always be dominant; those are Custom, non-geneticized skins. If a sim with a non-geneticized skin breeds with another with a non-geneticized skin (including the Pollination Technician), which skin expresses will be decided randomly.

If two sims with geneticized skins breed, the offspring will express one of any of the available genetic skins whose genetic value is equal to, or in the range between, the two skins. So if your default S3 has a genetic value of .75, and your default S4 has a genetic value of .9, and you have skins with genetic values of .76, .8, and .89, the offspring of an S3 and an S4 skin may have any one of up to five skintones.

The problem arises when you download skins from different creators, or from a creator whose ideas of what the scale of the skintones should be is different from yours. This is a little tedious to fix, but the process is simple. First you find out the genetic value of each skin you use. Then decide which ones aren't scaled the way you want them, and renumber them as you see fit. Then all you have to do is edit the genetic value field in SimPE, commit, and save for each errant skintone.

By convention, light skins have lower values than dark skins. If you have some "unnatural" skins - like alien or berry skins - you will either have to set them to genetic value 0, or place them either lower than your lightest skin, or higher than your darkest skins, essentially creating a new part of the scale.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)